Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 04:24 AM

721 posts, read 2,610,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy77 View Post
Iraqi oil revenue.
Too funny, LGA was designed to share revenue among Minnesota cities (originally counties and cities) based on need rather than on where the revenue was actually collected. So, older cities with shrinking tax bases may have more need than a fast growing city with a growing tax base, and thus receive more LGA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 08:49 AM

21 posts, read 61,833 times
Exclamation Duluths' financial woes

Duluth has had financial troubles for a long time. They can't afford to fix their roads, have the highest gas prices and utility rates in minnesota and can't even afford to send out their plows in a timely manner. Misappropriation of federal funds have caused this problem and politicians who don't know what the heck they're doing. Let's hope Ness can fix it, but he's not Superman, folks. I, for one, am moving out because of the high cost of living here. Maybe the cities would be much better, as far as making it up and out of the poverty level that Duluth likes to keep you in.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:48 AM

721 posts, read 2,610,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8ivGoddess View Post
Duluth has had financial troubles for a long time. They can't afford to fix their roads, have the highest gas prices and utility rates in minnesota and can't even afford to send out their plows in a timely manner. Misappropriation of federal funds have caused this problem and politicians who don't know what the heck they're doing. Let's hope Ness can fix it, but he's not Superman, folks. I, for one, am moving out because of the high cost of living here. Maybe the cities would be much better, as far as making it up and out of the poverty level that Duluth likes to keep you in.
I'm sorry for your situation, and by all means move on and do what is best for you. However, you cannot blame the city for keeping you personally in a poverty situation. My wife and I moved to Duluth and both found good jobs and decent pay.

Does the city have financial trouble? Yes, but it is not a hopeless situation and can be solved.

Good luck with your move!

Old 04-11-2008, 10:03 AM

781 posts, read 2,629,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8ivGoddess View Post
I, for one, am moving out because of the high cost of living here. Maybe the cities would be much better, as far as making it up and out of the poverty level that Duluth likes to keep you in.
I wish the best of luck to you on your move, but as newcastle said, the city shouldn't be blamed for your situation. Being only 21, I've found a job programming (of all things) that pays very well. The jobs are there, you've just really got to get yourself out there and visible.

Again, I may be no expert in home ownership or even taxes, but I consistently hear people from the Twin Cities wondering why we complain so much about our taxes. Our property taxes are lower than most, but I imagine the sales tax and utilities make up for it. So it ends up being about the same, just divided up differently. Am I wrong on this?

Old 04-12-2008, 01:16 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,790 posts, read 4,155,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy77 View Post
Iraqi oil revenue.
Please explain this strange comment, and what it has to do with this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth