Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 06:25 AM

6 posts, read 12,936 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am moving to Duluth, MN with my husband in June of next year. I am wondering how hard is it to find a job in the Duluth area. I currently hold a degree in Information Technology. Any advice on what steps or places i should consider for employment.

Thanks,
NAKIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 07:06 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,574,416 times
It's historically been difficult finding good jobs in Duluth. Especially now. Good luck to you, though.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:10 PM

309 posts, read 990,987 times
There's a workforce project in each state called Careers and Career Information - CareerOneStop

Old 09-07-2009, 03:57 PM

781 posts, read 2,627,907 times
What type of IT work have you done before? There are quite a few companies that have IT needs here, just depends on what. Sysadmin stuff?

Old 09-07-2009, 11:57 PM

6 posts, read 12,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminumpork View Post
What type of IT work have you done before? There are quite a few companies that have IT needs here, just depends on what. Sysadmin stuff?

Right now I am currently trying to break into the field. I have just graduated with a degree in MIS. I have started taking certifications(A+ and Security +). I am also shadowing someone who is doing system admin. work to get more experience. I know I will probably have to start as a system admin. but not exactly sure what the IT companies in Duluth are in need of. Any suggestions? Do you know if there are any major certifications that the companies over there look for?

Thanks for you help,
Nakia

Old 09-10-2009, 07:22 AM

3 posts, read 7,695 times
Duluth is a healthcare and education hub for the region -- google SMDC Health System and St. Luke's Hospital. United Healthcare employs more than 1,000 in the area. The University of Minnesota Duluth, College of St. Scholastica and University of Wisconsin-Superior are major employers, plus Lake Superior College (Duluth) and WITC (Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College), all of which of course have IT infrastructure needs. Cirrus Aviation is the top personal aviation company in the US and they've had layoffs at production levels, but is here for the long haul. There are some small IT/tech companies here: SISU Systems and Compudyne, which mostly serves regionally, and Saturn Systems, with a national client base. We'd love to have you and your husband come live in Duluth.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:39 AM

781 posts, read 2,627,907 times
You could also check with Maurices, Advanstar and ZMC Hotels. They all have system admin needs, whether or not they're hiring is another thing.
[edit]A big one I forgot is 50Below. They're a larger web development company that seems to always be hiring.[/edit]

Old 09-10-2009, 08:58 PM

721 posts, read 2,609,442 times
You could also try Fastersolutions or Points North Consulting. A good place to get company info is from the Duluth chamber. They also have relocation packets, of course
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth