Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 08:44 PM

804 posts, read 2,892,787 times

Advertisements

There is a possibility we will be stationed in Duluth this coming year and I was just wondering if any 'locals' had any suggestions on where to look for housing and neighborhoods, areas to stay away from.

I am not familiar with the area at all. The closest I have been is our cabin on Lake of the Woods and our rental houses in Karlstad. I am big into hunting and fishing and I am assuming those needs will be more than satisfied in the Duluth area, am I wrong?

We will also be looking for a good Lutheran Church and currently have one daughter who is almost two and by the time we get to Duluth should have a new born or one on the way. So any suggestions in that area are welcome also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 10:09 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,576,453 times
Where in Duluth will you be working? How long do you want your max commute to be? Do you want to live in the city limits, or a bit farther out? Etc. Narrow it down a bit, and then we can tell you what would most likely fit your needs!

(BTW: There are churches aplenty here, so you won't be too far away of a drive from one pretty much no matter where you live in the area)

Old 11-16-2009, 10:38 PM

I would be working down on the waterfront area. I do not want a long commute to work but would like to find a place with a little acreage or atleast a large lot. What I mean by that is if we can find a good size house to rent that has some property or a large lot we will be happy but more than likely we will just get a 'normal' house somewhere in town.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:00 AM

781 posts, read 2,629,205 times
If you'd like to live closer to the base/airport but still have a relatively short drive to the waterfront area, I'd recommend Duluth Heights. Very close to the mall, airport/airpark/base and yet still just a short drive down the hill (Mesaba, Lake Ave, 6th Ave or even Trinity/53). An added plus is that there are many larger (1+ acre) wooded lots available in the area. Duluth Heights converges with the mall area and is quite large, so many different options depending on how close to Central Entrance/Miller Trunk you want to be.

TheDusu.com has a great listing of neighborhood profiles if you'd like to get a better idea of all the different areas you have to choose from. Neighborhoods in Duluth, MN | The DuSu

Old 11-17-2009, 09:48 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,576,453 times
I second aluminumpork. Even living in Hermantown may not be a bad idea.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:43 PM

Are there any good local resources for finding rental houses other than craigslist. We are looking for atleast a three bed two bath house that will allow pets.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:28 PM

721 posts, read 2,610,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofish View Post
Are there any good local resources for finding rental houses other than craigslist. We are looking for atleast a three bed two bath house that will allow pets.
Try Edmunds Realty, Messina Realty, or Edina Realty. I think all three have rental properties on their website.

Your should not have any trouble finding rentals in Duluth. You may want to avoid the college neighborhoods for rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth