Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:58 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I guess it depends on what major indicators you fancy, but a case could certainly be made for it being in a state of improvement.
Only an uninformed person who listened to main stream media would even think such a thing. Although I do not know what is going to happen, much worse times are ahead in our near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 10:32 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Exactly.

I've been hearing the screams of impending hyper-inflation from the same type of posters for years now, and as we continue to hum along at record-low inflation year after year they just keep on saying it's coming just you watch.

I might as well just keep posting that it is 4:00 pm every half hour until I'm right, be just as informed a prediction.
Oh, it will happen, the writing is on the wall. The National debt (not even counting unfunded liabilites) will eclipse GDP in less than five years, and continue to skyrocket out of control unless the government trys to pass it it's own austerity measures, which would spark all sorts of new and interesting problems that will threaten the stability of the country.

It should be clear to anyone this path is unsustainable, but the doomers consistently underestimate the power of the country to absorb damage due it it's sheer size and power. I don't know how much the system can take, but I do know even the biggest giant will fall eventually if you hit him long and hard enough.

Last edited by Chango; 06-10-2010 at 11:52 AM..

Old 06-10-2010, 11:30 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Only an uninformed person who listened to main stream media would even think such a thing.
And I'd counter that only a narrow-minded irrational intellectually lazy conspiracy theorist would dismiss all mainstream media with a wave of their hand since it didn't agree with their view of the world.

This very media, that in early 2009 was correctly reporting how bad the economy is, is now biased idealogical talking heads for saying there signs of improvement. Yeah, that makes sense.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
And I'd counter that only a narrow-minded irrational intellectually lazy conspiracy theorist would dismiss all mainstream media with a wave of their hand since it didn't agree with their view of the world.

This very media, that in early 2009 was correctly reporting how bad the economy is, is now biased idealogical talking heads for saying there signs of improvement. Yeah, that makes sense.
As I have told all of the sheeple, we will talk in a year from now. I never even mentioned any conspiracy theories. You are the one who brought that up. I dare you to point out even one conspiracy theory in the article below.

25 Questions To Ask Anyone Who Is Delusional Enough To Believe That This Economic Recovery Is Real

Old 06-10-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
As I have told all of the sheeple, we will talk in a year from now. I never even mentioned any conspiracy theories. You are the one who brought that up.
Your views of the mainstream media are indeed a conspiracy theory that you brought up.

Quote:
25 Questions To Ask Anyone Who Is Delusional Enough To Believe That This Economic Recovery Is Real
Okay, you dismiss the traditional media source because you believe they are just biased talking heads, yet you refer to a doomsday microblog with advertisements pasted all over it selling gold?

Since you ask I'll knock the very first one of their list, that an economy can't be recovering with 40 million people on food stamps. I ask you, why not? Do you believe that if manufacturers report more robust order sheets that people on foodstamps instantly just decide they don't need them? No, it's a lagging indicator. The economy can be improving right now and the foodstamp totals could be completely unchanged from six months ago, those aren't mutually exclusive situations so pointing at one to discount the other is *******s.

Look at #3 on that list, he quotes an all-time in high in people who missed a mortage payment as evidence the real estate market can't be improving. Yet in the very article he links to:

One encouraging sign is the number of homeowners just starting to show trouble is trending downward. As of March, nearly 3.5 percent of borrowers had missed one month of mortgage payments, down from about 3.8 percent a year earlier.

Why does he link the one stat and not mention the other? Because the positive one isn't convenient to his mission of spinning doomsday to feeble-minded subscribers so he cherry picks what he wants and lets them slurp it up.

Could go on and on with that site.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Well things could be taking a turn..the G20 has decided that austerity measures is the better bet now than unbounded stimulus measures leaving the US and the UK to go it alone with "bailouts".

This has upset our man Tim to no ends as China will not muck with their currency for a US benefit.
This will also have repercussions on our trade deficit if they all go into austerity mode.

So Geithner is over there trying to convince them that funny money is better than cutting budgets and Uncle Ben is over here telling us Europe's problems will have little effect on the continuing US recovery.

I cheered Germany when I heard they told GM "NO" to their request for a loan for Opel. GM had buyers for Opel and then pulled back and decided to fix Opel themselves and then have the gall to ask Germany for money. Good for Germany.

I don't like what I'm reading into this.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Your views of the mainstream media are indeed a conspiracy theory that you brought up.

Okay, you dismiss the traditional media source because you believe they are just biased talking heads, yet you refer to a doomsday microblog with advertisements pasted all over it selling gold?

Since you ask I'll knock the very first one of their list, that an economy can't be recovering with 40 million people on food stamps. I ask you, why not? Do you believe that if manufacturers report more robust order sheets that people on foodstamps instantly just decide they don't need them? No, it's a lagging indicator. The economy can be improving right now and the foodstamp totals could be completely unchanged from six months ago, those aren't mutually exclusive situations so pointing at one to discount the other is *******s.

Look at #3 on that list, he quotes an all-time in high in people who missed a mortage payment as evidence the real estate market can't be improving. Yet in the very article he links to:

One encouraging sign is the number of homeowners just starting to show trouble is trending downward. As of March, nearly 3.5 percent of borrowers had missed one month of mortgage payments, down from about 3.8 percent a year earlier.

Why does he link the one stat and not mention the other? Because the positive one isn't convenient to his mission of spinning doomsday to feeble-minded subscribers so he cherry picks what he wants and lets them slurp it up.

Could go on and on with that site.
The main fact is you cannot have a jobless recovery which is what the MSM is claiming. There is just too much that has gone wrong for this nation to recover. As I said, talk to me in a year from now.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:07 PM

Coming from someone who dismisses all mainstream media as biased and calls others uninformed and sheeple, then proceeds to reference a doomsday microblog with ads for buying gold all over it, I'll take your wise opinion under advisement and plan my investment strategies accordingly.

Quote:
As I said, talk to me in a year from now.
I'm sure you'll be saying talk to you in another year either way, so just put it in your sig and save some typing.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:20 PM

264 posts, read 493,428 times
Quote:
The main fact is you cannot have a jobless recovery which is what the MSM is claiming. There is just too much that has gone wrong for this nation to recover. As I said, talk to me in a year from now.

I come back in a few hours and... wow
As the OP ease up on the insults please, just the messenger

I'll say it again just like the realastate explosion so will follow the debt not paid.

Jesse Ventura left because of the nations debt and the big bag to come, want facts? just look backwards then.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
thni we will see a very long recovery period. I certainly don't see a crash but rather what we are seeing now. Amore stable than 2008 but not alot of fundmental changes since that.I do thn kat some point inflation will be a prbelm as the fed can't keep the rates so lw and putting equity into the markets forever. like always they will be late to raise interest rates to stop inflation.Unemployemnt is going to stay pretty high especailly in some areas where the relaiance is on disappearing markets like the 70's recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics