Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 12:41 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta_male View Post
You would have enough DISPOSABLE INCOME to shop at higher-end stores like Nordstrom's, Saks Fifth, etc.? Let's assume, to hold some variables constant, that you live in Seattle (so an expensive but not outrageous city in terms of COL), have an average house, drive a typical Honda Civic for your car, etc. how much money would you have to make in order to be able to afford items from higher end stores?

Sorry if this question sounds stupid, but I was walking into Nordstrom today, and, even though my parents make A LOT more than the average person and well above 6 figures, we still can't afford to buy items from those kinds of stores on a whim and really have to be careful with things like this (which is fine because there are more important things in life than an Armani suit). However, I see a lot of people who go to those types of stores REGULARLY and buy whatever they want, so I'm wondering how well off their family must be in order to afford to do that, pay for a good house, etc.
Nordstrom's and Saks Fifth Ave. aren't exactly HIGH-END retailers, they're targeted to middle-class and upper-middle class consumers; not the uber rich. There are different tiers of retailers, anyone with a 6 figure salary shouldn't have to worry about shopping at either of these unless they have some serious debt problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 01:15 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,375 times
Think about it this way...the gap between buying all your clothes at a place like JC Penny or Target and buying them all at Nordstrom is about the difference between the cost of owning a well equipped Nissan Sentra and a well equipped Toyota Camry....in other words, not really a huge difference...would you think that someone who drives a Camry is spending THAT much more than someone who owns a Sentra?

A lot of stuff at Nordstrom isn't even that expensive.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:33 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
There's a different age that's attracted to both too. If you're young and single, live in a studio, ride public transportation and eat out and go to clubs all the time, a lot of your discretionary income is going to be spent on clothing. If you're older with family, kid expenses, mortgage and live in the suburbs and need to have 2 cars, a $300 pair of shoes or $500 bag just isn't going to carry the same weight with you.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:05 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times
Why should I pay high prices at the high end stores when I can get the same thing at TJ Maxx and Marshalls for a lot less in a few months?

Old 06-22-2010, 08:10 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Why should I pay high prices at the high end stores when I can get the same thing at TJ Maxx and Marshalls for a lot less in a few months?
I don't think they're targeting someone with that mindet.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:18 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Because you can't, TJ Maxx and Marchalls sell what sold poorly in other stores. No high-end brand would allow itself to be weakened by being sold in TJ Maxx when they could just discount the lines in their target markets.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:53 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Because you can't, TJ Maxx and Marchalls sell what sold poorly in other stores. No high-end brand would allow itself to be weakened by being sold in TJ Maxx when they could just discount the lines in their target markets.

Which is one of the reasons why high end stores and manufacturers often throw out unsold merchandise rather then donate it or sell it to discount stores.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I don't think they're targeting someone with that mindet.
It has been studied that rich folks shop at these discounted department stores.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Stores like Neiman Marcus was hit big in the Recession.

The clothes are same in the dept stores. They just look better when you see them in the malls.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:53 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Which is one of the reasons why high end stores and manufacturers often throw out unsold merchandise rather then donate it or sell it to discount stores.
A store like Nordstrom is not going to be throwing out cloths, they will just discount them in their stores. Ultra-premium brands may throw out unsold merchandise though as they are veblen goods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics