Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 12:36 PM

305 posts, read 991,736 times

Advertisements

Is it good to always pay cash does it help your credit score? I have been told no credit is as bad as bad credit. Any opinions? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 01:32 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icequeen2008 View Post
Is it good to always pay cash does it help your credit score? I have been told no credit is as bad as bad credit. Any opinions? Thanks.
Bad for what?

The Banks?

Here is a general rule -- IF "it" (whatever it is) is Good for a Bank . . . It is bad for you.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:19 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Paying cash (or check) for bills, rent, etc. are fine as long as you're paying on time. You may build up a credit score quicker by having credit cards, but (I think) it is only worth using them if you can pay off the full balance every month. Establishing credit is probably not worth the interest fees.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:40 PM

929 posts, read 2,092,641 times
Don't get all caught up in the credit score garbage. Pay cash for what you can afford, stay out of debt and save and invest like crazy. Learning to live on much less than you make will benefit your financial health and physical health. Less debt = Less Risk = Less stress.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:48 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default What is cash...

If you mean carrying a wad of greenbacks then that will never show up on your credit history and it will hurt you whe you need to borrow money, and basically ever transaction that in voles a rental / transaction for future use. Try to book a vacation without credit...

If you have credit but pay it off that behavior will rsult in more credit being extended to you. Most charge copies allow some interest free grace period. That will show up as a responsible and build your ceeit history...

Old 07-24-2010, 08:52 PM

764 posts, read 1,557,522 times
Zero credit is not bad, actually its good. It shows the bank you dont need them, and the old saying was that banks only want to lend you money when you dont need it. If you have zero credit it is a testimoney to your cash. You can even buy a house with zero credit, all you need is 20% down, 2 years at the same employment, and proof of you paying rent on time. Most of those are required for conventional loans anyways.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:55 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
It shows the bank you dont need them, and the old saying was that banks only want to lend you money when you dont need it.
It also doesn't tell the banks anything about how you handle credit. Someone without a credit history is a big unknown.

Quote:
If you have zero credit it is a testimoney to your cash. You can even buy a house with zero credit, all you need is 20% down, 2 years at the same employment, and proof of you paying rent on time. Most of those are required for conventional loans anyways.
Most lenders don't loan to people with no credit history. Someone may be able to get a FHA loan without a credit history though.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:06 AM

Actually if they are a bank that does underwriting, and you meet the requirements then the bank should not have a problem. If you put 20% down on a house, and have regular employment, and pay your bills on time, then the banks not going to care. On the other hand, if your a high school kid with no money and dont have any credit then that would be a risk. But no credit can be a mystery for lenders, which is why they have to do their own underwriting. If they find that your SO competent that you can usually do without credit then they will be attracted to you as an investment.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:10 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Actually if they are a bank that does underwriting, and you meet the requirements then the bank should not have a problem.
Yep, but most banks have minimum credit score requirements. Banks just don't look at your income and down-payment, your credit score also plays an important role.

Getting a mortgage with no credit history will be difficult.

Furthermore, the idea that a lack of credit utilization means you are component is not accurate. A lack of credit utilization can be a seen of financial ignorance just as much as as the over-utilization of credit. There are plenty of people that don't even have bank accounts let alone credit cards, etc. Lack of credit history tells the banks nothing about you and that is the problem.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:18 AM

Hhhmmmm......I aggree. I'm not changing my personal goal though, i want to have zero credit someday. I wonder if thats possible? I have good credit but cut up my cards to live without debt. So i assume it will drop over time, although i dont know if it will as long as i dont do anything negative. Any thoughts user_id?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics