Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 11:16 AM

258 posts, read 1,003,864 times

Advertisements

I'm a 29 year old with a business admin degree from 06, with minors in finance and economics.. I currently have 3 1/2 yrs experience at a company doing office admin assistant/office manager work, what state is best for this type of office work? I was looking at near Chicago, because Chicago has historically been known as a good business area, but currently the job market there is at a 27 year low at some areas.. I live in Michigan and ideally like to be close to here, but will move almost anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 04:36 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,244,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0681 View Post
I'm a 29 year old with a business admin degree from 06, with minors in finance and economics.. I currently have 3 1/2 yrs experience at a company doing office admin assistant/office manager work, what state is best for this type of office work? I was looking at near Chicago, because Chicago has historically been known as a good business area, but currently the job market there is at a 27 year low at some areas.. I live in Michigan and ideally like to be close to here, but will move almost anywhere.
What is it about Chigaco, specifically, that makes it a good business area? The skyline? The Merchentile Exchange? Growth rate? Manufacturing? Real Estate?

What makes you more marketable in Chicago as opposed to Butte, Montana?

Don't let statistics interfere with your talent and ability. Instead of worrying about what state to move to, look for a company or area of expertise that allows you to build relationships and grow in your career. If you are willing to move for that opportunity, than so be it.

You have to sell your problem solving abilities to an employer or simply get another job. Don't sell yourself short.

The answer to your question is any state. No one can give you an objective answer to that question, unless you are some sort of automatron looking to be told whats best for you.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:53 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
Go to Texas. Turn right.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:45 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
If I were you, where you were at . . . I would SERIOUSLY consider opening a bank.

Right there.

Pick some specialty banking services you could do across the the country, internet based, and build on it.

Details if you want / need.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:06 AM

258 posts, read 1,003,864 times
I dont want to start my own business, I guess Ill just relocate first without a job and then try to find one. Really I mean its hard to get hired without relocating, I'm not in the area I want to be in, and at least Id have access to job fairs, employment agency help, and could collect unemployment for awhile. I'm 29 years old and would like to get out of my hometown, a small town in northern lower Michigan, for an area like Chicago, or another state that is more interesting such as Florida, or NYC.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:01 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
I dont want to start my own business, I guess Ill just relocate first without a job and then try to find one. Really I mean its hard to get hired without relocating, I'm not in the area I want to be in, and at least Id have access to job fairs, employment agency help, and could collect unemployment for awhile. I'm 29 years old and would like to get out of my hometown, a small town in northern lower Michigan, for an area like Chicago, or another state that is more interesting such as Florida, or NYC.
Keep in mind that without drive and direction, it is now hard to get hired even if you are relocating. Things are down most everywhere, compared to when you came out of school in 2006.

Shop the local Craigslist.org and Indeed.com for jobs in the area BEFORE you move there (wherever your "there" is) and start burning through your money.

Since your desire is to be solely dependent on someone hiring you, by shopping before you go, at least you will know if there is any demand in the area for your skills.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:30 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,921 times
Quote:
I second the poster who said Texas. Dallas or Houston would be very good options. (I'd choose Dallas)

Old 08-07-2010, 01:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I second the poster who said Texas. Dallas or Houston would be very good options. (I'd choose Dallas)
I would choose Austin or the hill country (NW of San Antonio). I would get into a banking service that is very focused on retiring Boomers.

or... Spearfish, SD (yet another income tax free state, low unemployment without the energy boom and bust of WY, but close enough to enjoy Big Sky MT, Wonderful Wyoming, and Colorful Colorado.).

Living and working in a 'no income tax' state was good for me age 28 - age 49 (retired). I lived 10 min from a 'no sales tax' state, that was good too. (MT will work for that).

If you want a big URBAN city, then do San Antonio, Austin, or Seattle. I don't particularly care for Dallas (personal preference, I don't do Humidity)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics