Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 10:35 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times

Advertisements

We've read how many employers are only hiring people on an independent contractor basis now in order to avoid having to pay benefits and SS but I thought the rules for qualifying to be an IC we were very stringent, chief among them that the IC does not have any set hours to get the job done, just that he have the work completed by a certain date. But obviously these people are coming into work 9-5 and if they don't they get canned. So how are employers skirting this rule?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 07:13 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
We've read how many employers are only hiring people on an independent contractor basis now in order to avoid having to pay benefits and SS but I thought the rules for qualifying to be an IC we were very stringent, chief among them that the IC does not have any set hours to get the job done, just that he have the work completed by a certain date. But obviously these people are coming into work 9-5 and if they don't they get canned. So how are employers skirting this rule?
It is simple.

Most American "business" people are really, really, stupid.

Just terminally stupid.

But if you wish to see the real IRS guidelines, look at IRS Form SS-8

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fss8.pdf

Independent Contractor (Self-Employed) or Employee?

Old 08-04-2010, 10:55 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
They set the time in the contract by hours needed to complete the job. The contract can place penalties for not meeting that date. It requires bascailly keeping a scheule to get the job done on time . There are such allowance such as wether etc but even then often they have to request a variance o the contract to avoid going over and the pentalies. Its nothng like them doing theirself with thier own empolyeees. If they don't preform as in contrct they don't get scheduled payments and can be kicked off the job also.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:16 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
False premise, thrillobyte ... that "many employers" are hiring only on an IC basis.

To qualify as an IC, the services must truly be on an "independent" basis. If you've got to show up to work at a given office/worksite to perform your tasks and the employer provides the substantial means of creating work product (tools, computers, materials ... whatever it takes to create a work product in your profession, trade, or craft) ... you're not an independent contractor. Especially if you need a business license to perform your work, you'd better have one and your own place of business instead of doing your work under the license/business insurance/business workplace of somebody else.

The feds have been cracking down on the IC requirements for quite a few years because a lot of employers were trying to skirt the rules and avoid collecting/reporting tax/WC/UI/benefits packages and other costs of employees. I think it's safer to say that most work situations didn't qualify as IC, and the feds went after the employers for their unpaid contributions to FICA and witholding income taxes.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:33 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
For the most part , having your own tools to accomplish the job was always the basic test. And I mean something more than a hammer. There are contracts that in the past were " legal" but today are not , due to the crack-down , and to several ruling imposed in recent years.
I use to hire all my people as Independent Contractors, until one day my accountant said...no more , the game has changed..... The other problem we had back then was many Independent Contractors would fail to pay their taxes, and it would come back to bite not only them , but us as well. Eventually we had to let them go , as the battle with the IRS was one we did not want to fight. It was just easier to make them employees.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:39 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Thanks very much for the replies. Very educational. I was contemplating hiring a companion for my elderly mother and wanted to hire her an IC but it sounds like I'd have an impossible job trying to convince the IRS the companion was working on a legitimate IC basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics