Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2010, 01:38 AM

16 posts, read 18,803 times

Advertisements

I've been wondering lately how many other people out there realize that we're being crushed under the weight of our own imaginations.

Money doesn't really have any value except the value we've assigned it. It always gets me that people forget how far we have advanced in such a short period of time. Everyone is bawling about the economy, but it seems they forget they're really kind of choosing to play the game. I don't see why more people don't just go buy some land and farm what they need. A couple acres between Austin/Corpus Christi in Texas isn't all that much, and could be farmed by a small community.

I know we're not used to that kind of life anymore, but it is pretty absurd that we'll all sit around blubbering about the failing economy, instead of doing anything to improve our situation.

I guess my point is that, if the global economy is doomed to fail like a lot of people are saying, why participate? It's the same for governments, really.

The idea of 'render unto Ceaser' has never set very well with me. We just took crap that was already there, claimed it, processed it, and made someone else give us monopoly money in exchange for something that was already there. At least that's the idea with easily produced materials, I suppose it's different with technology being as advanced as it is now.

Anyways, there it is. Why don't all the people saying it's the end of times get off this forum and go be proactive about a solution? Babies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 04:41 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
It's only a small subset that is sitting around blubbering. What makes you think it's everybody?

Old 10-01-2010, 09:03 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcs996 View Post
Anyways, there it is. Why don't all the people saying it's the end of times get off this forum and go be proactive about a solution? Babies.
Heh, because typing WAHHHHHHHH is easier and takes less follow through then doing that.

"To stand here and try to fix her life is just a big waste of time. People don't want their lives fixed. Nobody wants their problems solved. Their dramas. Their distractions. Their stories resolved. Their messes cleaned up. Because what would they have left? Just the big scary unknown."
- Chuck Palahniuk – Survivor

Old 10-01-2010, 06:51 PM

21,137 posts, read 19,714,475 times
You mean we shouldn't just sit around and wait for Obama to come to our rescue?

(sarcasm)

Old 10-02-2010, 01:52 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
so you are saying that we are insanely materialistic? I agree. Personally I only work to pay the bills and I would rather have more leisure time rather than a bigger check. I'd rather spend my time building my business rather than making someone else rich.

Have a watch:

YouTube - Decadence - Episode 1 - Money (1 of 3)

Old 10-04-2010, 11:36 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,780 times
Check out the Self-Sufficiency board here on City-data. There are people that are doing the exact thing you described (buying land, learning how to farm, etc.) For everyone that is in tough financial shape that is unwilling to do this (for those who have even thought of it), it probably comes down to these reasons:

1) I am above doing manual work.
2) Even if I do the work, weather can wipe out everything I grow/people will steal everything I grow/I won't be able to grow enough to survive/I don't have enough money to buy heavy machinery/etc. (the excuse makers)
3) I'm too scared to learn how to do something out of my comfort realm.
4) I can't physically do hard labor due to existing medical conditions.
5) ADD: I won't have any money to buy the newest car, newest clothes, bigger house, exotic vacations, etc.

I have no financial need to live self sufficiently, but I have considered it.

Last edited by Kristin85; 10-04-2010 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 10-06-2010, 09:32 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Quote:
I've been wondering lately how many other people out there realize that we're being crushed under the weight of our own imaginations.

Money doesn't really have any value except the value we've assigned it. It always gets me that people forget how far we have advanced in such a short period of time. Everyone is bawling about the economy, but it seems they forget they're really kind of choosing to play the game. I don't see why more people don't just go buy some land and farm what they need. A couple acres between Austin/Corpus Christi in Texas isn't all that much, and could be farmed by a small community.
Might want to put some harsher math to that "couple of acres" part doing the job. Not saying it is a bad concept, but it does not sound like you have much of an actual plan, yet.

Quote:

I know we're not used to that kind of life anymore, but it is pretty absurd that we'll all sit around blubbering about the failing economy, instead of doing anything to improve our situation.
dunno that part is true, either . . . about not doing anything. We are running test case electric farming (for Post-Oil) in East Texas

Quote:

I guess my point is that, if the global economy is doomed to fail like a lot of people are saying, why participate? It's the same for governments, really.
yep, rebels without a clue. But for real, even the Amish have a limit form of governance within their communities.

Quote:

The idea of 'render unto Ceaser' has never set very well with me. We just took crap that was already there, claimed it, processed it, and made someone else give us monopoly money in exchange for something that was already there. At least that's the idea with easily produced materials, I suppose it's different with technology being as advanced as it is now.
You can stop using the money any time you want.

Quote:
[/quote]

don't understand the functional purpose of a forum, as far as scenario planning?

Old 10-06-2010, 10:36 PM

16 posts, read 18,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Might want to put some harsher math to that "couple of acres" part doing the job. Not saying it is a bad concept, but it does not sound like you have much of an actual plan, yet.

dunno that part is true, either . . . about not doing anything. We are running test case electric farming (for Post-Oil) in East Texas

yep, rebels without a clue. But for real, even the Amish have a limit form of governance within their communities.

You can stop using the money any time you want.

don't understand the functional purpose of a forum, as far as scenario planning?[/quote]

When I said a couple acres, I didn't mean two. I have never really assigned a value to words like couple, few, some, etc. In that context, I should of put 'A few' I suppose. I also didn't specify how large the community was, so if it was small enough, it really wouldn't take much land. Maybe I meant only one person? Heh.

Again, the people I'm talking about are not the every day Americans, or the government. I was talking about all the nay sayers and doom and gloomers.

I don't live in a fairy tale world. I know money is part of life. I never said I had any intention of not using it, it just seems like a wierd invention, that's all. Originally it wasn't, when it had a worth. It made trading easier (Still does.) Now that the dollar isn't backed by anything, though, what is it really worth? It's paper. More of it exists virtually than physically. Just odd, that's all I'm saying.

I understand the purpose of a forum. I didn't say that I want them to stop posting. I only said that if it's so horrible, and might even end the world completely, why not prepare? Why post it over and over again on the same forum?

Anyway's, it was nice to be able to read a condescending post like that. I was looking forward to getting one of those soon.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:52 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
You mean we shouldn't just sit around and wait for Obama to come to our rescue?

(sarcasm)
You mean you don't think he's going to pay for my gas and my mortgage?

Old 10-07-2010, 08:21 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Interesting thread jjcs996, thanks for the thread it is refreshing to see something a little different in the forum.

Quote:
Originally it wasn't, when it had a worth. It made trading easier (Still does.) Now that the dollar isn't backed by anything, though, what is it really worth? It's paper
As opposed to when it was backed by quantity of soft yellow rock that is also only worth something because we say it is? Same thing, a medium of trade with no inherent value unless you need to conduct electricity or want to use a large nugget to bash someone over the head with and take their food/shelter.

I think my reasons for dismissing this live of the land idea was alluded to by Kristin85: living off the land seems like hard work with more risk than my current life plans. It certainly helps that I don't buy into the economic collapse fears, if one puts that risk fairly low then this life of developing software in a comfortable environment with plans to quit working in my 40s sounds like a much better deal.

Also = welcome to the forums jjcs996.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics