Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 04:58 PM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

today the producer price index actually fell when food and energy are excluded... not that we dont need to eat or drive our cars but its all the other things that act as a counter balance. like i said earlier the prices of most commodities have only a small effect on the overall price of finished goods . we dont have to worry about inflation until all the other things rise as well as our incomes....
now its a case of if more money goes for x then we cant buy y. theres more danger of a slow down and deflation then inflation at this stage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 07:27 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
today the producer price index actually fell when food and energy are excluded... not that we dont need to eat or drive our cars but its all the other things that act as a counter balance.
"Core inflation" is the number to look at, food and energy prices are very volatile. I'm not sure why people have trouble understanding this, after all oil was just $140/barrel 2 years ago and now its $84/barrel.

But in terms of food, I found this interesting:

"In comparison, the American Farm Bureau said the average national cost of Thanksgiving dinner this year is $43.47, a 56-cent price increase from last year. The survey was first conducted in 1986 and is intended to be an informal gauge of price trends around the nation"

Va. Farm Bureau says Thanksgiving costs stable - BusinessWeek

Old 11-16-2010, 09:12 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Uh oh, cue someone who is at least 20 years older than me rolling in here saying that when they were young way more people could afford Thanksgiving dinner, even hobos riding trains were given full turkey dinners, plus everyone ate fresh turkeys none of this frozen stuff and neighbors who had canned cranberries would share with everyone you just don't see that anymore.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Uh oh, cue someone who is at least 20 years older than me rolling in here saying that when they were young way more people could afford Thanksgiving dinner, even hobos riding trains were given full turkey dinners, plus everyone ate fresh turkeys none of this frozen stuff and neighbors who had canned cranberries would share with everyone you just don't see that anymore.
Nah..they just showed up at the Salvation Army at 6:00 and waited in line with everyone else ....

Old 11-17-2010, 01:39 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I was directed to the You Tube computer animated analysis of Quantative Easing when Fox News did a piece on it yesterday. Ye Gods, this makes Berny Madoff look like a purse snatcher. The Fed, Ben Bernanke, Goldman Sachs, looters on a global scale.
Read the posts on it and you'll walk away with no doubt just who owns Barrack Obama. Bush was bad, Obama is worse and is completely under their thumb and I have little doubt he's going to be the fall guy when our economy implodes.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:41 AM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
"Core inflation" is the number to look at, food and energy prices are very volatile. I'm not sure why people have trouble understanding this, after all oil was just $140/barrel 2 years ago and now its $84/barrel.

But in terms of food, I found this interesting:

"In comparison, the American Farm Bureau said the average national cost of Thanksgiving dinner this year is $43.47, a 56-cent price increase from last year. The survey was first conducted in 1986 and is intended to be an informal gauge of price trends around the nation"

Va. Farm Bureau says Thanksgiving costs stable - BusinessWeek
thats not bad, i think where you shop and the brands you buy is a bigger factor then the 50-100% rise in food commodities.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:02 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,396 times
Quote:

your right, thats the key, its NOT being done under normal conditions hense everyone maybe jumping the gun as to how bad this is.

if they can suck just the right amount of money back out as we get healthier it could very well work. its much to early in the game for anyone to know what the end result will be.
When has the fed ever sucked money out of the economy actually. Besides Volcker?

Simply put you cannot suck it out once it is in the market geez.
money itself is debt. Only way to pay it is by going into more debt meaning more devaluation or inflation.

the deflate that means crash. that's only if we were on a gold standard though but because it is not that means inflation print away. Well I will say this again the problem is fractional reserve banking as well as fiat money.

No need to borrow money is best. Banks are a scam, debt is a scam.
short term gain for long term pain pretty much sums up debt.

Also about food prices being volatile. Ahem prices of orange juice/wheat/rice/sugar is up from 2 years ago by 20-50% so it is not just about bad harvests. It's also because currency is devalued.

If production does not offset the inflation what you get is rising prices that is what is happening in china and here and they are trying to slow inflation as well now. while we are trying to inflate.

If production = same but inflation up then you get rising prices.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:14 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The real definition of quantitative easing is:

"A government monetary policy occasionally used to increase the money supply by buying government securities or other securities from the market. Quantitative easing increases the money supply by flooding financial institutions with capital in an effort to promote increased lending and liquidity."

If this was done in a normal economy it would be inflationary, but this is a deflationary economy and as a result it will help stimulate the economy.
I suspect that it won't actually stimulate the economy. There may have been enough deflation in asset values to absorb this QE without significant price inflation at this time, but simply increasing the money supply is not a guarantee of greater economic activity.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:38 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
but simply increasing the money supply is not a guarantee of greater economic activity.
Nothing is guaranteed, I don't think anybody in the FED thinks this is going to have a dramatic impact on the economy, just that its likely to help. At this point the FED is the only organization that can actually do anything, good or bad. Congress is already deadlocked.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:11 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we will have to meet back here in a few years to see if we have to do our complaining. so far im loving all this QE stuff as inflation is still running at a normal pace and my investments are all looking great as assets get a little reflation..

numbers coming in are getting better on all the reports monthly and eventually the last two to be helped should be unemployment and housing but they are still aways off as they are the last to improve traditionally.

we are all assuming this is going to turn out a bad thing but we dont know that yet do we?
My God man, even in the collapse of Rome there were some who felt truly delivered from the negative fallout, you know, all that Chinese proverbial stuff about great opportunity in times of great calamity. Millions of our countrymen are now facing a future of economic destitution and I think most here on this forum are making an attempt to address these folks concerns ( AKA the big picture), I'm thrilled that you have escaped the worst of the effects of QE but I'm convinced that many won't be partying over the news of your financial well being....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics