Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 09:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Agreed. I think much of the hype leading up to it came from the ADP numbers earlier in the week.

The whole service industry thing still isn't clear to me, the "official" definition seems to include many things I'd consider professional like lawyers, healthcare, etc.
Take a look at how it's defined in "Establishment Data, Summary Table B".
Further down is Table B-1 with more details.

There's Private-goods producing, Private-service providing and Government.
This is all nonfarm.

Private-goods producing jobs produce something physical that you can touch.
The other provide a service and there's further breakdown within that for Professional and business services (typically white collar) which is where your lawyer types fit.

Employment Situation News Release
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 09:48 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,194,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
CNBC.com has a news feed, you posted a news feed from people other than CNBC.
Not true at all, I posted many articles that were from CNBC. You seem determined to ignore that, I'm not sure why,

Quote:
I simpley said that CNBC (meaning the talking heads such as Kudlow) try and spin everythig positive. I then provided facts showing how a drop in the labor force could be due to people giving up and in turn causing a lower unemployment rate.
But you were proven false in your claim that CNBC spins everything positive, again which you are determined to ignore. There was good and bad to the employment report and I pointed out that some were jumping all over the bad make irrational claims, when you decided to be the champion of understanding past the headlines when most of the headlines were in fact showing both sides of it. It makes no sense.

Quote:
If you love CNBC great, have at it, I didn't mean to mock your people.
This is the funny part, I don't and you obviously have way more interest in them than I do. You are familiar with the personalities and can reference traits I never could, I'm just looking at headlines which you seem to reject if they don't fit nicely into your misguided notion that the media is only spinning things positive.

They are your people, I don't give a **** about CNBC and wouldn't recognize these anchors you keep talking about if they walked by me at the grocery store tomorrow. You are mocking your own people and foolishly trying to attach them to others who's opinions you disagree with. You are the CNBC expert talking about how they spin things then posting that you haven't watched them in years, not me. I don't watch CNBC I just see headlines go by.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:50 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,209,377 times
Quote:
Not true at all, I posted many articles that were from CNBC. You seem determined to ignore that, I'm not sure why,

But you were proven false in your claim that CNBC spins everything positive, again which you are determined to ignore. There was good and bad to the employment report and I pointed out that some were jumping all over the bad make irrational claims, when you decided to be the champion of understanding past the headlines when most of the headlines were in fact showing both sides of it. It makes no sense.

This is the funny part, I don't and you obviously have way more interest in them than I do. You are familiar with the personalities and can reference traits I never could, I'm just looking at headlines which you seem to reject if they don't fit nicely into your misguided notion that the media is only spinning things positive.

They are your people, I don't give a **** about CNBC and wouldn't recognize these anchors you keep talking about if they walked by me at the grocery store tomorrow. You are mocking your own people and foolishly trying to attach them to others who's opinions you disagree with. You are the CNBC expert talking about how they spin things then posting that you haven't watched them in years, not me. I don't watch CNBC I just see headlines go by.
Sorry, I assumed you knew that CNBC was a TV station. That was my reference, not the website. I am not ignoring your headlines, but click on each of them, you will see that they are all either AP or Reuters news feeds, none of them are CNBC created content.

I did not say all media spins posiive, Fox spins negative.

I watched CNBC for years, and as I say I see the first 10 mins or so of the opening bell. Watch a few days, you will see the spin.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:04 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,311,389 times
CNBC is terrible, anytime they have on somebody with the slightest bit of sense the anchor interrupts and cuts them off. They spin positive most everything they report.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:32 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
CNBC is terrible, anytime they have on somebody with the slightest bit of sense the anchor interrupts and cuts them off. They spin positive most everything they report.
Yep, here is a good example of it.

Mike Pento Kicked Off CNBC For Telling Truth, As Dumb Money Manager Says "Nothing Is In A Bubble When People Want To Buy It" | zero hedge

Old 01-09-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I assumed you knew that CNBC was a TV station. That was my reference, not the website.
Well there was our disconnect, I don't watch financial TV shows at all. I just do a clickfest thru whatever google news brings up.

Quote:
I am not ignoring your headlines, but click on each of them, you will see that they are all either AP or Reuters news feeds, none of them are CNBC created content.
Yeah.

Morning Note: Why Declining Unemployment Isn’t a Bullish Sign
by Catherine Holahan of CNBC
News Headlines

Payroll Numbers Show Surprising Weakness
by Ash Bennington of NetNet, Special to CNBC
News Headlines

Trading a Jobless Recovery
by Drew Sandholm of CNBC
News Headlines

Quote:
I did not say all media spins posiive, Fox spins negative.
Nah I think it is great that you can pat yourself on the back for seeing thru the spin of all these headlines saying the jobs report was mixed.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:56 AM

Bottom line is the financial headlines regarding the unemployment report on Friday were clearly expressing that it had some good and some bad, with the total jobs added being a disappointment.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Well there was our disconnect, I don't watch financial TV shows at all. I just do a clickfest thru whatever google news brings up.

Yeah.

Morning Note: Why Declining Unemployment Isn’t a Bullish Sign
by Catherine Holahan of CNBC
News Headlines

Payroll Numbers Show Surprising Weakness
by Ash Bennington of NetNet, Special to CNBC
News Headlines

Trading a Jobless Recovery
by Drew Sandholm of CNBC
News Headlines

Nah I think it is great that you can pat yourself on the back for seeing thru the spin of all these headlines saying the jobs report was mixed.
Quote:
Bottom line is the financial headlines regarding the unemployment report on Friday were clearly expressing that it had some good and some bad, with the total jobs added being a disappointment.
There you go actual articles, very good. I don't have a clue who they are since they must not be anchors but at least it says CNBC.

Remember, this was started because a couple of you were patting yourselves on the back mocking anyone who finds something negative in the report. I posted the numbers from the report and you have completely ignored the numbers and focused on a small comment I made that you now admit you misunderstood.

Now when others are showing actual videos showing proof of my view on CNBC TV, you continue to divert and mock, good work.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Remember, this was started because a couple of you were patting yourselves on the back mocking anyone who finds something negative in the report.
No, was mocking those who are only capable of seeing the negative, to the ridiculous degree of seeing negative in the positive aspects.

You were busy arguing a nothing.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
No, was mocking those who are only capable of seeing the negative, to the ridiculous degree of seeing negative in the positive aspects.

You were busy arguing a nothing.
Actually I was just showing facts and figures, something I haven’t seen since my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics