Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:08 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
So the University of Texas has a higher percentage of African Americans than UCLA. Fewer Asians, but hardly a surprise considering state demographics. Higher Hispanic representation, as expected. More whites, but again reflects the state.

Any freshman in Texas that ranks in the top 10% of their high school class is automatically accepted to any state university in Texas. UT even has an affirmitive action process still in place. So where is this Plantation Model you speak of? Any data to defend it?
Actually lived it.

Have not you?

I see your tag says "Central Texas."

But let's take this out of bullshidder numbers.

What do you really see in the real world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 09:14 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Actually lived it.

Have not you?

I see your tag says "Central Texas."

But let's take this out of bullshidder numbers.

What do you really see in the real world?
Speaking of "bullshidder" - what are you trying to say exactly? Are you trying to say Texas public universities don't welcome minorities? Or are you saying something else? If you have a problem with Texas universities - tell us what you really mean instead of talking about plantations.

I didn't go to UT. I certainly know many people that attended UT and many that do right now. I attended what I consider to be a better public university in Texas (Texas A&M). I have two kids in college in Texas right now - one public, one private. What I see and what my kids see is universities that by and large treat all people well. Public universities in Texas are all bound by the 10% rule - but otherwise have acceptance policies unique to each university.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:23 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,036,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Texas has balanced its budget much the same way other states have, namely with debt. If you think Texas hasn't been borrowing and doesn't plan to borrow more you're sadly mistaken. Texas has around $35 billion in outstanding debt and will be adding plenty more.
This is correct. Why isn't Texas required to use it's "rainy day" fund instead of borrowing? It seems like that would make more sense instead of taking services off the poor and giving Texas kids a second rate education.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
This is correct. Why isn't Texas required to use it's "rainy day" fund instead of borrowing? It seems like that would make more sense instead of taking services off the poor and giving Texas kids a second rate education.
This is the first year education is on the table for cuts.
Look at other states into their 2nd and 3rd year.
What if the economy doesn't improve by next year.
I think there's room for cuts in education without hurting the kids.
But it's up to the top dogs to decide that teachers are more important then administrators. So far from what I've seen in Austin it's teachers and then principals..not many in administration are getting the axe.

Go figure. And they all do that and not only in education.
You see that all over the country when they talk cuts..it's always fire, police, emergency and teachers. The ones actually out their working directly with the people..never the guys behind the desks.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:19 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This is the first year education is on the table for cuts.
Look at other states into their 2nd and 3rd year.
Right because most other states do their budgets annually, Texas does it every 2 years. Texas actually has to make larger cuts because it pretended as if everything was fine the last 2 years.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The gains are all on paper and do NOTHING to alleviate the deficit. It moves the revenue collection forward by a few months - as if receivables occurred sooner. Yet the actual size of the deficit is unchanged and the expense side is unchanged.

It only has a benefit compared to borrowing funds from traditional sources. It is a financing tactic that doesn't do anything structural to the core problem.

If you think it is a reasonable thing to do to the citizens and taxpayers - all I can say is wow. I would be livid if my state government did that.
Lets not forget that Texas refused the Government bailout monies, in turn Texas was penalized unfairly...However, the State has not borrowed any funds from any other sector of government, nor will they. We do not pay a State Tax...with the massive State Taxes in Ca., NY, and other states we gained 4 new congressional seats, this year with with more wealthy and new businesses, we will be back in black. Not only paid off, but a surplus is expected by late 2011/2012. We have already enacted Tort Reform and Welfare Reform on fraud.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:47 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot55 View Post
Lets not forget that Texas refused the Government bailout monies, in turn Texas was penalized unfairly..
They didn't refuse the money, Texas received bailout funds. Its just the pathetic governor that spoke out pretending that Texas was doing just fine and said they didn't need it. They took it, spent it and are still in the hole in by around $25 billion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot55 View Post
Not only paid off, but a surplus is expected by late 2011/2012.
Hahaha....there will be no surplus in 2011/2012. Texas is short $25 billion.

Adding population doesn't solve structural budget problems, Texas isn't collecting enough taxes to pay for the services it does provide. More people add revenue, but they also increase costs.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:45 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
They didn't refuse the money, Texas received bailout funds. Its just the pathetic governor that spoke out pretending that Texas was doing just fine and said they didn't need it. They took it, spent it and are still in the hole in by around $25 billion.

Hahaha....there will be no surplus in 2011/2012. Texas is short $25 billion.

Adding population doesn't solve structural budget problems, Texas isn't collecting enough taxes to pay for the services it does provide. More people add revenue, but they also increase costs.
The money that Texas took in 2010, was to fill the hole they were short in their 2009/2010 budget. They were short in their budget projections, and knew it as of late 2009. Texas got just over $22 BILLION in recovery stimulus. That covered most of the $6.6 BILLION hole for 2010. Now we're short for 2011/2012...yet the Attorney General has over $253 million of those funds? Mr. "Good-hair" has co-opted over $80 million? TxDot got $1 BILLION! And the TEA got $3 BILLION?!

Where the hell did that money go?????

https://bi.cpa.state.tx.us/OpenDocum...enDocument.jsp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics