Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:04 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Here in Silicon Valley, at least, when you tell someone you have a "tech job", it is usually meant as a software engineer, project/product manager, marketer, or finance guy at a company like Google, Apple, Adobe, Intuit, Netapp, Facebook, etc....or at any number of tech startups around here. Those are very different caliber jobs from the dude troubleshooting your computer over the phone (who is probably in India, too).
thanks. you said it better than me. also, i wouldn't necessarily call a marketer or finance guy a "tech job". they work in the tech industry, but it's a marketing job or a finance job. i work in telecomm, but i'm in finance/IT. i coulde loosely be considered a tech-job, but it's more business-related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Maybe they are struggling to find people called "electricians" who are required to climb a 40' pole in the rain and work with high voltage?

How does this mesh with the idea people express that if things get bad enough, American teens will start doing the jobs that illegals now perform?
no, not linemen. jobs that actually require the EE degree, such as engineers that manage the grid and substations, etc.

they are actually hiring a lot of linemen as well, but that doesn't require the same level of education. it's a great job though, although a bit dangerous. it's good salary and benefits, and you can take college courses for free to support advancement within the company.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:27 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
no, not linemen. jobs that actually require the EE degree, such as engineers that manage the grid and substations, etc.

they are actually hiring a lot of linemen as well, but that doesn't require the same level of education. it's a great job though, although a bit dangerous. it's good salary and benefits, and you can take college courses for free to support advancement within the company.
What you are talking about is an Electrical Engineer. Electricians are the people who work on substations, transformers, and related systems.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
What you are talking about is an Electrical Engineer. Electricians are the people who work on substations, transformers, and related systems.
pardon me saying electricians...but if you read my original comment you'd see i typed EE. my father is an electrician at the company, he does not have his EE degree.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:58 PM

41 posts, read 44,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
It's a sad state of affairs if 1,000 fast food jobs is big news....as if those jobs will pay a living wage that will allow the people to pay the rent, save for retirement, and have disposable income.

Not to mention continuing down the path of fattening up more Americans and driving up the costs of healthcare as a result.

I'm lovin' it.

It's just the sad reality of today's America. For many there
is just no opportunity to move up the career ladder even with a
education. All the good paying factory jobs that these
types of people would have worked are no longer in this
country. Office jobs are becoming more computer automated.
The future is all government and service oriented. Not good for
an entreprenur who wants to create a successful life for himself/herself.
A lost generation is approaching us.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:35 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Or it could be an indicator that people still need to buy lunch and instead of their favorite restaurant, they can only afford McDonalds...

McDonalds like many corporations are taking advantage of economic conditions to upgrade their workforce and to replace less motivated workers with people who a desperate for work.

To say that this is indicates improving economic conditions is a stretch at best. What it really represents is a major downshifting in lifestyle and affordability.
Agreed.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:43 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Mouse9 View Post
It's just the sad reality of today's America. For many there
is just no opportunity to move up the career ladder even with a
education. All the good paying factory jobs that these
types of people would have worked are no longer in this
country. Office jobs are becoming more computer automated.
The future is all government and service oriented. Not good for
an entreprenur who wants to create a successful life for himself/herself.
A lost generation is approaching us.
The idea of being able to sneak out of highschool with a football education and get a good paying job at the local factory or steel mill with benefits....is DEAD.
My uncle made (in todays dollars) 150k working at the steel mill with a highschool education. Good for him, that era is over.

It was a 30 year abnormality in this country post WW2....quite possibly the best time to ever live on this planet in any country.

It's gone.

Do I worry for my kids? No. Guess why? They are smart and I push education like a crack dealer. They will work the MANY available high paying jobs.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:28 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
"It was a 30 year abnormality "

Amen, made possible by no competition , as Europe and Japan were in ruins.

Now we will find out if we have what it takes.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:27 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
if we actually recognize the problem, we will find out that we do have what it takes.

government took in 2.2 trillion and spent 2.3 trillion.

2.2 trillion is a lot of money.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:48 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
I worked for McDonalds in the late 70s during the last period of economic malaise. They had 200 employees on payroll at the time. You started with 2 hrs. If you got called at 5 am to come in that day to work an 8-hour "opportunity" you did. The next week you got 4 hrs. If you said no to the 5 am wake-up call you stayed at 2 hrs. After awhile if you were a good employee you received 4 pm to 2 am "opportunities" followed by a 5 am to 2 pm "opportunities."

Having 200 employees also solved the calling in sick problem and the need for raises. A good annual raise was a nickel an hour.

The 90s were a different story as no one wanted to work there for minimum wage when other part-time jobs had shortages of help and were paying better for easier work.

Increasing the number of workers on the payroll during tough economic times may actually afford McDonalds the opportunity to reduce their labor and benefit costs since they will not have to depend on as many full time employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics