Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 03:19 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i am sure that was an attempt at sarcasm but, if you had bought gold, you would be ahead.
Or Netflix. Or whatever....

Quote:
i notice you didn't comment on the rising crude oil inventories, which you wouldn't think we would have in a "recovery", especially when we are using so much fuel fighting wars everywhere......
Gotcha, just pick a factor and there you go, hard evidence of recession.

Quote:
i guess the rising unemployment and social service usage is irrelevant, also?
Social service usage is a trailing indicator, it is a very slow recovery and will take some time to go down.

Employed is still a problem but it has improved, although I have no doubt you'll pick and choose the employment stats you want and avoid others to make your case. I know one of the big negatives of the recession is long term employment, and that is down from a year ago.

Tell you what, why don't you find the official definition of recession and once we can agree on that then we can proceed. This is pointless you picking things individual factors you prefer as I can go picking things right back and we'll get nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 06:50 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,918,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Or Netflix. Or whatever....

Gotcha, just pick a factor and there you go, hard evidence of recession.

Social service usage is a trailing indicator, it is a very slow recovery and will take some time to go down.

Employed is still a problem but it has improved, although I have no doubt you'll pick and choose the employment stats you want and avoid others to make your case. I know one of the big negatives of the recession is long term employment, and that is down from a year ago.

Tell you what, why don't you find the official definition of recession and once we can agree on that then we can proceed. This is pointless you picking things individual factors you prefer as I can go picking things right back and we'll get nowhere.
you tell me what was fixed- because housing wasn't fixed, unemployment wasn't fixed, social services wasn't fixed, trade deficit wasn't fixed, and our debt load wasn't fixed. (actually increased) you cannot have the public sector replace the private sector, and have a recovery.

i guess everything is a lagging indicator.

it is impossible by any standard. it will just necessitate more bailouts, more stimulus, more quantitative easing and NOTHING IS FIXED.

i just posted today on how the post office is going to need a federal bailout because they are losing money and can't make their pension payment.

when you pull money from the private sector to fund the public sector, there is less available for the private sector to grow. what is so hard to understand about that?

these are the same people who told us if we lowered the value of the dollar, we would improve the trade deficit, but we did not. instead, the citizens just have to pay more for everything that they need, which, in turn, slows any pretend economic recovery.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:03 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times
Now your definition of recession is ratio of public sector employment? Oil inventories, public sector employment..... let me ask again, why don't you go find a reference to a commonly agreed upon definition of economic recession, and we can go from there. Posting whatever political talking point pops into your head and declaring that as sufficient to erase any doubt we are in a recession gets us nowhere.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:46 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
There's no analysis anywhere, just a few paragraphs of "OMG HYPERINFLATION" repeated in different ways.
That's funny.

Quote:
The guy has been predicting it for years, about every time he writes in his idiot blog it's "just about to happen".

He is a great case for the phrase "Those the gods wish to destroy, they first drive mad".
Any moron can collect and collate data, but interpreting the data is requires some intelligence, and he repeatedly proves he has none.

Quote:
He claims repeatedly that every shred of economic data the government puts out is "grossly inaccurate", which he then posts older measures for various indicators. Even though those stats are very clearly published (such as U4/6 are very clearly at the BLS site) and he has never published why or how that data is grossly inaccurate.
It's all in the definition.

You have to define both "employment" and "unemployment." So, finally we have a 3-prong test that is an excellent definition, and that is, you have to want to work, you have to be available to work, and you have to be actively seeking employment.

Certainly, everyone can see Carter's frustration, "Why are we counting the prison population as unemployed?" They aren't available to work, and they certainly aren't seeking employment. And everyone can see Carter and Reagan's frustration, "Why are we counting military personnel as unemployed? The Draft. The Draft? The Draft ended in 1976, this is 1979 and everyone in the military is a volunteer, not a draftee.

So he's actually using the pre-1994 definition. The definition of "employed" has changed and apparently under the Obama Administration, if you have a PhD in Nuclear Physics and your only job is working 8 hours a week at McDonald's, then you're "gainfully employed."

You can't read into that too much, as it might only imply that a very small sector of the economy cannot absorb Nuclear Physicists, but when you have a wide spectrum of people "gainfully employed" at part-time jobs way beneath their skill levels, that implies widespread problems in the economy.

Still, it's not enough to scream "Hyper-Inflation" on a crowded blog site.

You got 11-12 more years before that kicks in. You can look at the previous cycles. You had massive government spending because of the [1st] Great Depression [of the 19th Century] and also major drought on the Atlantic Coast and Southeast US. You shouldn't have had hyper-inflation until about 1867-68, but the Civil War causes the government to continue massive spending and so by late 1861 you have hyper-inflation at a rate of 50%, and no I'm not taking about the price of corn or cotton rising (ie Cost Inflation), I'm talking about the prices of everything doubling or tripling, everything from Room & Board to horses, horse feed, buggy whips, clothes, shoes, boots, food, land, and even the cost of shave and cut. And yes, there was Cost Inflation on top of that so the price of some things jumped 80%-125% at least briefly for a year or two.

Then again in 1916 due to government spending in the previous Depression, plus a couple of Panics and then that was exasperated by spending for WW I.

Quote:
I wonder where he gets his data, since I doubt he has a large staff to count everything independently from the various entities that collect the data already. Even though it seems like his blog is the only thing keeping him busy anymore.
He used to get it from the government (various government agencies and offices). Much of the data is still collected, it just isn't published. That led to some problems with M3, because the government still collected the data, they just stopped publishing it, and then there was a spat with FOIA requests because the government didn't want to release that info, and I don't know what happened after that. I suspect the government still collects it, but calls it something else to get around FOIA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Inflation is income-driven, not wage-driven.
No, wages can drive inflation. It's called Wage Inflation. It's happened twice in the last 80 years. The solutions proffered by FDR and Nixon were Wage & Price Freezes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
An idiot only has to be partially right once to boast about it for a decade or two.
That's one of the, um, benefits of the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
I don't see it happening anytime soon. The govt. and the Fed could hold the house of cards up for 100 years or more even piling on the debt at the current rate.
No, they can't hold it up for 100 years. At this point, the only way to stop hyper-inflation from hitting about 11-12 years from now it so run a balanced budget for the next 8 years, but that would result in an instant Recession, and possibly lead to a Depression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
When there was high inflation in the mid 1970's to early 1980's in the United States middle class income was growing at significantly higher rates than it is presently.
That was in part due to Wage Inflation.

Quote:
Again without income growth in the middle class the only threats of inflation that I see are due to increasing commodity demand due to the economic growth in emerging market nations and the corresponding increase in demand for resources.
But that's Cost Inflation and it has no bearing on Real Inflation (except it just makes Real Inflation that much worse).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I think we've got a little longer, but not 100 years. I suspect the cards will fall after the official debt has climbed north of 20 Trillion. That will be in what, 3 or 4 more years?
Depends. About 5 years at current government spending, but I'm not factoring in interest on the National Debt, so 3 to 4 years sounds about right if you would factor in interest.

Quote:
You're ASSUMING the debt will continue to rise at it's present rate. That's not necessarily a valid assumption, especially with growing reality by more Americans that government spending will have to decrease and in all probablility some taxes are going to have to be raised.
But it is a valid assumption. The National Debt will continue to rise, because the government will continue to deficit spend on each budget for the next 3-5 years.

That is, for the next 3 to 5 years, the government will continue to collect about $2.2 TRILLION in revenues and spend about $3.8 TRILLION leaving an annual deficit of ~$1.5 TRILLION which will be rolled into the National Debt.

That will continue until as Standard & Poor (and now many others) have said the US bond rating will be downgraded in about 2 years.

When people stop buying treasury notes, or when there is a reduction in the number of people buying treasury notes, and worse when people start calling their notes, then the government will be forced to run a balanced budget because it will be forced to shut down.

At that point, you can say "Depression" without covering your mouth simultaneously.

The only reason you're not in a major Recession now, is because the government is continually spending $1.5 TRILLION it doesn't have each year to keep the economy moving (except that money isn't actually going anywhere).

As soon as the government runs a balanced budget, your GDP just dropped $1.5 TRILLION, and that's just for starters.

So if the GDP is $15 TRILLION when they balance the budget, it will drop to $13.5 TRILLION instantly, and consider that in the recent very mild economic downturn that most people erroneously call a "recession" the GDP only dropped about $340 Billion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Actually we are looking at the law of exponential growth in action. It's not an assumption, it's a mathematical certainty. The dollar can do nothing but inflate over the long haul; the only question is how fast/slow it happens. But like a runaway truck roaring down the mountain, you can't just throw it in reverse and start going back uphill.
That would be the long and short of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
we also have this:

The biggest surprise was that in the just ended week, Treasury securities held in custodial accounts at the Fed, considered by some the best real-time representation of foreign holdings of US Treasurys considering that the TIC update is not only wildly inaccurate in its monthly update, but is also 3 months delayed, dropped by the largest amount in 4 years. From a total of $2.704 trillion, USTs held in custodial accounts declined by $18.7 billion to $2.685 billion. This is the second largest decline in history, only topped by the $22.1 billion in the week of August 15, 2007 which is the week that followed the great quant crash of 2007 that wiped out, among others, Goldman Alpha.
I'm not sure what to make of that. It depends on which custodial accounts, and not all custodial accounts are foreign investors or foreign governments. I can see a lot of Americans liquidating their accounts to make up for cash-flow, but that can't be all of it, so I'd have to assume someone is moving money.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:10 PM

17 posts, read 22,104 times
If the USD collapses then the entire world is just one big jungle. I sort of doubt the the USD will collapse anytime soon.

Do you know you it the most worthless person in the entire history of the world? A writer.

An opion writer. An editorial writer.

Is it a sexy story to write that the currency of the greatest nation and economy of the world may explodes because of some statistics? Yes, I guess that would be a sexy story, if you were a writer.

Does it have anything at all to due with the truth?

No.

Even if the world as we know it where to come to an end, I sort of think that Canada and America could get by with 80% of the fresh water in the world and 80% of the crop growing land in the world.

I sort of doubt that the USA nation or economy are going to crash anytime soon.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:46 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
After three years of predictions from the Wall Street Journal that hyperinflation is near, this is today's report on inflation:

Quote:
Consumer Price Index Summary

Transmission of material in this release is embargoed until
8:30 a.m. (EDT) Friday, July 15, 2011 USDL-11-1035

Technical information: (202) 691-7000 Reed.Steve@bls.gov Consumer Price Index (CPI)
Media Contact: (202) 691-5902 PressOffice@bls.gov

Consumer Price Index - June 2011

The Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U) decreased
0.2 percent in June on a seasonally adjusted basis, the U.S. Bureau
of Labor Statistics reported today. Over the last 12 months, the all
items index increased 3.6 percent before seasonal adjustment.
and now, the 10-year bond:

Sure don't look like the markets are predicting hyperinflation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics