Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 12:58 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times

Advertisements

Why Americans Have to Work Longer Hours and Borrow to the Hilt Just to Keep Afloat | Economy | AlterNet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 01:37 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Here's an alternate reason why Americans "have" to work longer hours and borrow more:

The average home size has tripled since the 1950's

It's standard and expected for new autos to all have all the bells and whistles (power everything, AC, CD player, ect).

Consumerism has saturated every aspect of our lives; it's nearly impossible to go anywhere without someone trying to sell you something by convincing you that you "need" it and should buy it NOW, on easy credit.

Movies and TV regularly portray people living in circumstances that would be impossble in real life (Think under and unemployed young adults living in a giant NYC loft apartment in "Friends", for example)

All are motivators and symptoms a society where what constitutes "success" is artificially inflated. With few exceptons we can still raise a family with a single 40 hour per week income, stay at home mom and a full belly.... if we lived in 900 sq foot 1950s suburban houses with 1 stripped down Buick, 1 B&W TV, (plastic pink flamingos are optional).

Last edited by Chango; 06-07-2011 at 01:48 PM..

Old 06-07-2011, 01:46 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,154,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Here's an alternate reason why Americans "have" to work longer hours and borrow more:

Am I the only person I know who wishes they still made smaller homes? I've always wanted a "normal" 1950's house - cape, ranch, split-level, etc. - not a huge one.

But I'll add that even finding smaller homes, like Capes, they are still quite expensive.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:58 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Am I the only person I know who wishes they still made smaller homes? I've always wanted a "normal" 1950's house - cape, ranch, split-level, etc. - not a huge one.

But I'll add that even finding smaller homes, like Capes, they are still quite expensive.
Same with apartments. I just want a small, basic apartment for a decent rent ($500-$600/month), but that is pretty hard to come buy unless you literally want to live in ghetto.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:59 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Same with apartments. I just want a small, basic apartment for a decent rent ($500-$600/month), but that is pretty hard to come buy unless you literally want to live in ghetto.

Move.

I'm currently in a 2 bed room with a fireplace.

$569

The one bedroom prior to this 45 min away was $375

About tomove into another 2 bedroom, under $500.

ETA: I agree, consumerism is why...

Old 06-07-2011, 05:08 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,877 times
Most wages have flatlined or dipped in the past few decades while inflation and stagflation have taken their tolls and many people become obsessed with one of the nation's most popular religions, consumerism.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:18 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

It's standard and expected for new autos to all have all the bells and whistles (power everything, AC, CD player, ect).

Consumerism has saturated every aspect of our lives; it's nearly impossible to go anywhere without someone trying to sell you something by convincing you that you "need" it and should buy it NOW, on easy credit.

Movies and TV regularly portray people living in circumstances that would be impossble in real life (Think under and unemployed young adults living in a giant NYC loft apartment in "Friends", for example)

All are motivators and symptoms a society where what constitutes "success" is artificially inflated. With few exceptons we can still raise a family with a single 40 hour per week income, stay at home mom and a full belly.... if we lived in 900 sq foot 1950s suburban houses with 1 stripped down Buick, 1 B&W TV, (plastic pink flamingos are optional).
Chango, you said it best. Rep. to 'ya

I also agree with you other posters who'd like to see a return to basic small apartments and houses without all the silly bells and whistles. The one area where I'd like to see improvement is construction quality. Most of what they build is cheap crap!!! Maybe we could get better construction quality if we were willing to give up some square footage

I might add that the world of 1947-1977 mentioned in the article, divorce and out of wedlock births were much rarer and these 2 factors are killing the middle class. Just about every financial study shows that people who divorce and/or have kids out of wedlock save a lot less than people who get married and stay married. People with savings don't have to desperately jump at the first low paying job that's offered.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Move.

I'm currently in a 2 bed room with a fireplace.

$569

The one bedroom prior to this 45 min away was $375

About tomove into another 2 bedroom, under $500.

ETA: I agree, consumerism is why...
Let me know where you live. I'm looking to move out of California if I lose my job.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:10 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Let me know where you live. I'm looking to move out of California if I lose my job.

"HECK" NO!

We don;'t need more People from Cali moving here and trying to make it what they are fleeing from!

There are many decent sized places in the south which are pretty close to that...

Old 06-08-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
"HECK" NO!

We don;'t need more People from Cali moving here and trying to make it what they are fleeing from!

There are many decent sized places in the south which are pretty close to that...
Uggh, no. I don't want to live in the South. If I move, it will be to another Western state (no further east than Colorado or New Mexico).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics