Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:32 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times

Advertisements

The perception the "powers that be" would like to put forward is that we are all in this budget battle boat together.
In reality nothing could be farther from the truth. There are sides to this issue like every other issue, with some who win and some who loose.
The status quo, of deficit spending, has resulted in money flowing into the pockets of those at the top of the food chain, with the bill for that spending being placed on the table of the working class.
That bill will soon be paid for by cuts in services that the working people pay taxes in order to receive. In my past posts I have listed the scores of taxes the average person pays that in reality, put the working class in a very high tax bracket.
In the future, they will pay substantially more in taxes and receive less in the way of services.
Many like social security and infrastructure repairs, they have been paying into their whole lives, just to have the money diverted to spending programs that benefit the wealthy.
The people who are wringing their hands at the idea of less government spending are the same people who have been reaping huge profit from that spending, while the working class has stagnated for 40 years.
Those include large corporations like Apple, which last year paid tax at 3% due to laws that allow off shoring of profits.
Defense contractors who benefit from the ongoing wars we neither understand or support. Banks that loan the money at usury level interest to a working class unable to achieve income increases necessary to match inflation.
The scores of corporations who receive government subsidies and corporate welfare despite their massive profits.
The stagnation of wages combined with the debt that is collecting on their tab, is continually cutting into the ability of the working class to prosper. They continue to shoulder a larger share of the taxes, while the wealthy pay the criminals in Washington to continually cut their share of the burden.
We are not all in this together, there are those who have benefited greatly from the status quo and want it to continue. On the other hand there are those who have been robbed by the system and want it to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 07:41 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Instead of spamming forums all day, why don't you work towards doing something about it?

You can become a community and political activist to work towards changing these things instead of being lazy. Get money/help from those tired of the problems and change the future for Americans.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:19 AM

454 posts, read 1,242,755 times
Quote:
The status quo, of deficit spending, has resulted in money flowing into the pockets of those at the top of the food chain, with the bill for that spending being placed on the table of the working class.
The bill is being put on anyone who isn't in the special interest groups and that includes everyone including other corporations, rich people, middle class etc. The people with the biggest lobbyists are the ones who get the money. Thats what happens when you have big government - they sell out to the highest bidder.

Quote:
That bill will soon be paid for by cuts in services that the working people pay taxes in order to receive. In my past posts I have listed the scores of taxes the average person pays that in reality, put the working class in a very high tax bracket.
Yes, when factoring in taxes you have to look at ALL taxes that are flowing to the government, not just income tax. Very good point.

Quote:
The people who are wringing their hands at the idea of less government spending are the same people who have been reaping huge profit from that spending, while the working class has stagnated for 40 years.
So the solution is bigger government and more taxes? You've been doing that for the past 40 years and the wealth gap has only grown bigger. I wonder why. Probably because more politicians selling out to special interest groups. When washington shrinks so does the power they have.

Quote:
Those include large corporations like Apple, which last year paid tax at 3% due to laws that allow off shoring of profits.
Most of these multinational corporations are untaxable simply by the way the business is structured. They can easily move all their assets offshore and if we push hard enough, they will just dump their US status and become a cayman's island company.

Quote:
Defense contractors who benefit from the ongoing wars we neither understand or support.
Big government politicians selling out, once again.

Quote:
Banks that loan the money at usury level interest to a working class unable to achieve income increases necessary to match inflation.
If you borrow money at 10%+ interest, you are probably too dumb to realize how much you are getting screwed. These are probably the same people who bought up houses during the housing bubble thinking they were going to get rich - mindless lemmings. They seem to get dumber and dumber every year.

Quote:
The scores of corporations who receive government subsidies and corporate welfare despite their massive profits.
Yes we should try to end as much welfare as possible. That includes the unsustainable social insecurity, medicare etc. We don't need welfare in this country. It breeds dependence on the state and thats never a good thing.

Quote:
The stagnation of wages combined with the debt that is collecting on their tab, is continually cutting into the ability of the working class to prosper. They continue to shoulder a larger share of the taxes, while the wealthy pay the criminals in Washington to continually cut their share of the burden.
Thats big government for ya!

So now that we have dicussed this: WHAT IS YOUR SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEMS? Let me guess, bigger government, more welfare, more taxes. Am I right?

Old 07-29-2011, 08:32 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
subsound says: bytch, bytch, bytch
and . . . Instead of being a condescending jackass . . . oh well, each according to their nature, huh? :P

While I do not always agree on his conclusions, Jim's observations are hardly spam. Most seem to be near original posts, such as this one, that builds from actual thought and trends that that way, as well.

I agree that after some reasoned review of concepts and discussion some of these discussions may lead to useful applications in the real world. Some may not.

But to shout-down (or try to) of things that do match one's personal specification for others' discussions . . . . maybe seems like someone has some "control issues?" Have seen some of that around here, before, too.

Last edited by Philip T; 07-29-2011 at 08:40 AM..

Old 07-29-2011, 08:38 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a34dadsf View Post

Most of these multinational corporations are untaxable simply by the way the business is structured. They can easily move all their assets offshore and if we push hard enough, they will just dump their US status and become a cayman's island company.
Good. No loss there at all.

If they want to come back and play here they can pay tariffs at the National Border(s).

Works great.

All covered in that US Constitution Thingy we do not tend to use anymore.

Quote:

So now that we have dicussed this: WHAT IS YOUR SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEMS? Let me guess, bigger government, more welfare, more taxes. Am I right?
Speaking of questions that one asks and answers for themselves to serve themselves . . . why would one do that? Let me guess. You are really just interested in promoting your own view. Am I right?

Old 07-29-2011, 08:47 AM

454 posts, read 1,242,755 times
Quote:
Good. No loss there at all.

If they want to come back and play here they can pay tariffs at the National Border(s).

Works great.

All covered in that US Constitution Thingy we do not tend to use anymore.
Hmm, not exactly because what happens in tariffs is usually the other countries will impose tariffs against american goods in repose to the tariffs. Plus the corporations will probably get back at us as well by laying off Americans. It has its benefits and losses, as does everything.

Quote:
Speaking of questions that one asks and answers for themselves to serve themselves . . . why would one do that? Let me guess. You are really just interested in promoting your own view. Am I right?
Hardly. I am just tired of people spouting their non sense and not providing any solution to what they say. Most of the time from what I've seen its people complaining about problems that are caused by the very systems they support in the first place. One example being universal healthcare. Everyone says they want universal healthcare. The problem comes in their idea of that being implemented - they expect the politicians and government to run it. The end result is that the politicians sell out to big pharma and other special interests. What we end up getting is mandatory health insurance requirements and no real solution to health care costs. Which is far worse than the current system.

So if you are going to spout non sense then for the love of god please state the solution to the problem.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:09 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Instead of spamming forums all day, why don't you work towards doing something about it?

You can become a community and political activist to work towards changing these things instead of being lazy. Get money/help from those tired of the problems and change the future for Americans.
You cannot be serious. Do you really think the little guys like us can go head to head with the huge corporations that make billions of dollars who are buying off the politicians??? Give me a break.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post

If you do not believe that the open discussion of these topics on a forum such as this has merit, then why are you here?
My motivation is to expand the knowledge of the subjects we discuss through the exchange of ideas. I know personally, I have learned much from the debates I have participated in here.
I believe it is by the education and debate of these issues that people will learn to use the powers of citizenship and their votes to change the future.
I am sorry you feel these discussions are of no use. Perhaps there are better ways you can spend your time.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:07 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
You cannot be serious. Do you really think the little guys like us can go head to head with the huge corporations that make billions of dollars who are buying off the politicians??? Give me a break.
I should listen to a minimum wage security guard with limited education that is so terrified of the opposite sex he is still a virgin about political activism and billion dollar companies? You know so much about the world because...you say so?

Give me a break. I'd listen to some one who might know something outside of hiding online and reading insane blogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
If you do not believe that the open discussion of these topics on a forum such as this has merit, then why are you here?
My motivation is to expand the knowledge of the subjects we discuss through the exchange of ideas. I know personally, I have learned much from the debates I have participated in here.
I believe it is by the education and debate of these issues that people will learn to use the powers of citizenship and their votes to change the future.
I am sorry you feel these discussions are of no use. Perhaps there are better ways you can spend your time.
Open discussion is great, but when all you do is complain online all day (every day) there is no point. The way people use citizenship to change things is to do something about the problems people see, not complain all day (like your last 5 years) and call it "education". I know a number of organizers and managers of non-profits that work to change the world for the better instead of pulling out the waaaaahmbulance.

As any parent would say "If you feel so strongly, get off your duff and do something about it."

Otherwise, I think you are 100% right. It is certainly of no use listening to people complain about the world constantly, but are unwilling to get off their butts and do anything at all. It is very funny to mock cranks, but it seems like shooting fish in a barrel without any water to mock the stupidly deranged. It certainly gets old. Enjoy flushing away your life online.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a34dadsf View Post
The bill is being put on anyone who isn't in the special interest groups and that includes everyone including other corporations, rich people, middle class etc. The people with the biggest lobbyists are the ones who get the money. Thats what happens when you have big government - they sell out to the highest bidder.

Yes, when factoring in taxes you have to look at ALL taxes that are flowing to the government, not just income tax. Very good point.

So the solution is bigger government and more taxes? You've been doing that for the past 40 years and the wealth gap has only grown bigger. I wonder why. Probably because more politicians selling out to special interest groups. When washington shrinks so does the power they have.

Big government politicians selling out, once again.

If you borrow money at 10%+ interest, you are probably too dumb to realize how much you are getting screwed. These are probably the same people who bought up houses during the housing bubble thinking they were going to get rich - mindless lemmings. They seem to get dumber and dumber every year.

Yes we should try to end as much welfare as possible. That includes the unsustainable social insecurity, medicare etc. We don't need welfare in this country. It breeds dependence on the state and thats never a good thing.

Thats big government for ya!

I am not sure, where you get the idea I am for bigger government, like most libertarians I believe the government that governs least governs best. I am also not for more taxes, but I am for a more fair tax system. Economic depression is a result of wealth being concentrated at the top.
Big business and government work in tandem to rob the working people of their freedoms and their assets.
As far as solutions, they begin with education. Our current educational system is a joke. It is designed to indoctrinate not to educate.
People have to understand history and civics, and their duties and responsibilities. They need to understand logic, and law.
We need freedom of the press. Today’s media are exclusively corporate owned.
They manipulate the information in order to misinform the people. There is no longer any such thing as independent journalism.
We need anti trust legislation to break up the monopolies that have seized power in this country and dictate their will to the government in opposition to the good of the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics