Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 12:00 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,665,579 times

Advertisements

Man, the callousness on this place never ceases to amaze. We're all one medical emergency/bankruptcy from ending up like this guy. I got a similar education (BSAE and MSAE) and this guy's portrayal of the aerospace industry is spot on. We can't all be equally aggressive in the pursuit of our economic capitalizing. That guy doesn't seem to me like an excuse maker. His plight was unfortunate and legit. You monday morning quarterbacks got no perspective. It reeks of optimism-bias up in here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 12:38 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,551,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
My experience is that the thought processes are identical in the etherial world of that PhD to those of a production shop. The PhD gets the luxury of pondering for a day ... or months or years ... because his pay is rarely predicated upon the type of productivity which can be measured in a shop.

Doesn't matter if it's a piece rate production shop or an hourly wage shop; the management tools to assess productivity are in place and even an hourly worker must be a net asset to the shop.
Sure.

Piece rate has some translates to hourly and vice versa. No argument.

You follow we are matching on that?

But for the brainaic to get his mind around Production = Pay can sometimes be a difficult process. That is all I am saying.

Quote:
We'll infer that those qualities translate into quantifiable income production for the company ... although they do run a bit counter to your candid comments about being a EE in other C-D threads.
Naw, just the world of contracting.

You follow I am joking about the Charm and Goodwill with you? Because you have a case of the ass for me. It was supposed to be funny.

But from my point of view there is no real difference in picking up garbage and designing a laser weapon tracking system, in that regard. I just jumped into Renewable when I looked at larger patterns in the country and world.

Quote:
"Will a project pay?" issues are always about the money. It's either worth the time and investment into bringing it to fruition or it's not. Given your choice between a project that's well rewarded or using your resources to do one that yields a few dollars ... I'll bet that you place a priority upon the former.
Not so much. That would be a mercenary, and I chose specifically NOT to do/be that.

But in Contracting I have make sure they:

1. actually have money, and
2. are going to pay me.

Here is the sort -- sorry if this is longwinded or boring, but someone may get some good from this. It is based on 5th grade journalism and Project Management --

1. Who. Who I am dealing with? Most important. Cannot do good business with bad people.
2. What. What are they trying to do, and what do they want me to do. I no longer do weapons, nukes, or things I can see would harm others.
3. Where. Have some places that are on my No Go List.
4. When. The schedule. Some folk's schedule is so crazy or dysfunctional, I just have to tell them they are screwed, right up front.

AND Then the Money. Actually Last on the List.

5. How Much. The budget. I usually just try to get the first 4 done with what they have to work with.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Man, the callousness on this place never ceases to amaze. We're all one medical emergency/bankruptcy from ending up like this guy. I got a similar education (BSAE and MSAE) and this guy's portrayal of the aerospace industry is spot on. We can't all be equally aggressive in the pursuit of our economic capitalizing. That guy doesn't seem to me like an excuse maker. His plight was unfortunate and legit. You monday morning quarterbacks got no perspective. It reeks of optimism-bias up in here...
You are probably quite correct.

I am thinking a LOT more folks are going to come to understand this before this is over.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:45 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,395,454 times
There must be more to this story. This man is severely overweight, and apparently has some hidden health problems judging by the way he holds his mouth. Hard to believe that he doesn't have family who can allow him to live with them until he gets back on his feet. What about all the contacts he made at Dartmouth? No friends, no acquaintances? He appears articulate and intelligent, but maybe some early dementia is setting in as well since his mom had it. Possibly this impacted his performance in the interviews he's been on and increasingly in the jobs he's held of late. Maybe his homeless status reflects poorly on his performance, appearance, and the impression he gives in his interviews. I agree with him that being black could pose additional complications in terms of how he's perceived. I hear that Boston is not an ideal place for educated blacks to pursue a career. Boston doesn't seem to be his town. Stands to reason that he should spending more of an effort searching elsewhere. Something else just isn't right here.

Great headline, sad story, but what's the real story behind this man's problems? Wish I knew the full story.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:35 PM

I am sure if you wanted to buy him a plane ticket or a Lexus (plus reasonable expenses) he could travel right over and tell you?

Old 10-10-2011, 06:47 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
There must be more to this story. This man is severely overweight, and apparently has some hidden health problems judging by the way he holds his mouth. Hard to believe that he doesn't have family who can allow him to live with them until he gets back on his feet. What about all the contacts he made at Dartmouth? No friends, no acquaintances? He appears articulate and intelligent, but maybe some early dementia is setting in as well since his mom had it. Possibly this impacted his performance in the interviews he's been on and increasingly in the jobs he's held of late. Maybe his homeless status reflects poorly on his performance, appearance, and the impression he gives in his interviews. I agree with him that being black could pose additional complications in terms of how he's perceived. I hear that Boston is not an ideal place for educated blacks to pursue a career. Boston doesn't seem to be his town. Stands to reason that he should spending more of an effort searching elsewhere. Something else just isn't right here.

Great headline, sad story, but what's the real story behind this man's problems? Wish I knew the full story.
Ageism is the biggest problem, plus living in shelters. If he were 45, instead of 55, it would be just as bad age-wise in getting offered a job. Who wants to hire someone 10 years from retirement, with all those years of losing skills??? His overweight status is due to eating crappy food--white bread, fructose, hydrogenated oils, packaged foods, discarded foods....try living that way and see how you look before long. This guy has the cards stacked against him on many levels. It's amazing he's getting the kinds of calls he says he's getting. Have you seen the TV clips of the job fairs for the over-50 unemployed? What more story do you need?

Old 10-10-2011, 07:08 PM

656 posts, read 648,907 times
He's 55 years old. Of course he is not going to find a good job at that age.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:29 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,055,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
He's 55 years old. Of course he is not going to find a good job at that age.

BS I'm 52 and I have been hired by three different companies in the past three years.

Bottom line is that all the education in the world won't get you hired if you don't know how to market yourself and if you don't know how to use that education.

busta

Old 10-10-2011, 07:37 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
BS I'm 52 and I have been hired by three different companies in the past three years.

Bottom line is that all the education in the world won't get you hired if you don't know how to market yourself and if you don't know how to use that education.

busta
Street people who have fallen off the job wagon (for whatever reason) without decent hygiene, clothes, email/computer, transportation, some money, and an address don't get to "market" themselves too easily.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:57 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,871,444 times
So many of our jobs requiring advanced degrees are so specialized that that knowledge is only useful in certain situations. A cousin of mine has two PhD's in different areas of studies. He worked for an Aerospace contractor involved in designing life support systems for N.A.S.A. He got laid off a few months before he turned 65. Luckily for him he was ready to retire and financially able to BUT he really liked his work and IF he could have found work in his specialty he would have stayed with it. Many of his younger co-workers were not so lucky.

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics