Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 02:19 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,108,203 times

Advertisements

I can't quite figure out 2 things. First he says his house was about to go into foreclosure and then he's talking about his paid off house. So, I don't know what happened there really.

And, if you are that well educated I would like to think you would be smart enough not to end up so far in debt that your house is in foreclosure. If I can manage to stay out of trouble without a college degree why can't he?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 01:29 AM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I can't quite figure out 2 things. First he says his house was about to go into foreclosure and then he's talking about his paid off house. So, I don't know what happened there really.

And, if you are that well educated I would like to think you would be smart enough not to end up so far in debt that your house is in foreclosure. If I can manage to stay out of trouble without a college degree why can't he?
A good education and a high IQ have nothing to do with how good you'll be with money. Academic research by a guy named Zagorsky at Ohio State proved this. He found that people with high IQs tend to earn more but they don't accumulate more wealth than people with lower IQs.

The ability and desire to save and invest have more to do with one's emotional skill set than one's intellect.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:09 AM

9 posts, read 15,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
A good education and a high IQ have nothing to do with how good you'll be with money. Academic research by a guy named Zagorsky at Ohio State proved this. He found that people with high IQs tend to earn more but they don't accumulate more wealth than people with lower IQs.

The ability and desire to save and invest have more to do with one's emotional skill set than one's intellect.
I am a perfect example. I had a high I Q as a child, skipped a couple of grades and things came easily to me. I ended up a mapmaker, which paid fairly well, around 75k a year. I never even finished my college degree. However, I've always been broke. I had good months when everything got paid, the kids got all they needed and no one went hungry. But for some reason I've never seemed to be able to save a dime, and therefore never have anything when emergencies happen. I've had to bankrupt twice. And I'm really not a shopper, I actually hate shopping. I simply am terrible with money, and genuinely admire people who do manage their money well (without being stingy or miserly). I believe managing money is simply a talent a person can have, and if compared to musical ability, you could say I am tone deaf. I'm fifty now, trying to live on eleven hundred a month now because of my heart, and most all of my friends who thought I'd do much better than they are living in mcmansions with a big stash in the bank. You would think that if it had been important to me, I would have planned a little better. I guess that's what it boils down to. No matter what size your brain is, you pretty much end up with as much money as you feel is important to you. I am happy being poor. I just wish my creditors were also.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:25 AM

9 posts, read 15,286 times
Never assume a person with opportunities is intelligent, or that an educated person is knowledgeable.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:44 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,871,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Umm....what exactly is psychobabble and which institutions are teaching it?

Sounds just like more anti-intellectualism....
user_id you might want to read 1984 by George Orwell for examples of Psychobabble (newspeak). You know what it is but don't want to admit it exists.

GL2

Old 10-12-2011, 08:12 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,108,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

I strongly disagree with your last sentence. People often skew studies to get the results they are seeking in the first place. What is it you're saying now? College educated people have emotional disability as an excuse?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:43 AM

529 posts, read 1,301,441 times
There are several things that go against this guy, he's out of work for a while, fat and old. A good education will not overcome every (stupid) characteristic that an employee desires on an applicant.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I strongly disagree with your last sentence. People often skew studies to get the results they are seeking in the first place. What is it you're saying now? College educated people have emotional disability as an excuse?
I think he's just saying that intellect and capacity to accumulate wealth have a similar correlation score in both IQ groups (high and rest) not necessarily negatively correlated or uncorrelated.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:58 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,551,536 times
Why does this thread seem to draw so much dis-belief, contention and disdain?

Real Question --

Is it because it goes against the Middle Class Myth of Education = Success?

Old 10-12-2011, 09:16 AM

I think you can find outliers everywhere, you can probably google plenty of articles stating that on average the less educated the segment the hardest it has been hit by the recession.
No one is fool enough to say that by getting a degree from a top school will guarantee success, it depends a lot on how driven someone is, and connections. Same applies for people with no college degree or even HS degree, they may succeed. Just look at the handful of billionares who love to boast that they never went to college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics