Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 01:08 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
In the 80s social security payroll tax was changed and income tax added to ss benefits past a certain threshold. I don't recall riots 10 times worse than Greece.
Nice try, the haircut coming to the United States Of Amerit**d is going to be a lot worse than the examples you point out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 04:09 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Where the hell are the banks going this time??????

I guess they figure that if they jawbone this economic crisis enough it will just go away........

"The central banks of the world are acting as if it is 2008 all over again. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and right now the central bankers are pulling out all the stops. The Federal Reserve, the European Central Bank, the Bank of England, the Bank of Canada, the Bank of Japan and the Swiss National Bank have announced a coordinated plan to provide liquidity support to the global financial system. According to the plan, the Federal Reserve is going to substantially reduce the interest rate that it charges the European Central Bank to borrow dollars. In turn, that will enable the ECB to lend dollars to European banks at a much cheaper rate. The hope is that this will alleviate the credit crunch which has gripped the European financial system by the throat. So where is the Federal Reserve going to get all of these dollars that it will be loaning out at very low interest rates? You guessed it - the Fed is just going to create them out of thin air. Our currency is being debased so that Europe can be helped out."

What Have The Central Banks Of The World Done Now?
the goal has always been centralizing power through fear. from soros' mouth:

The Problem

All this would cost money. Under existing arrangements no more money is to be found and no new arrangements are allowed by the German Constitutional Court decision without the authorization of the Bundestag.

[Any solution] would presuppose a radical change of heart, particularly in Germany. The German public still thinks that it has a choice about whether to support the euro or to abandon it. That is a mistake. The euro exists and the assets and liabilities of the financial system are so intermingled on the basis of a common currency that a breakdown of the euro would cause a meltdown beyond the capacity of the authorities to contain. The longer it takes for the German public to realize this, the heavier the price they and the rest of the world will have to pay.

The Solution

There is no alternative but to give birth to the missing ingredient: a European treasury with the power to tax and therefore to borrow. This would require a new treaty, transforming the EFSF into a full-fledged treasury.

The Alternative

...a possible financial meltdown and another Great Depression.

more centralized power, more taxing authority, with fewer people in control. (guess who?)

never let a good crisis go to waste.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:11 AM

that ties in with the following post:

What if government scapegoating of an external enemy is as old as the government itself? What if the government has used scapegoating again and again to scare people into giving up their freedoms voluntarily? What if the government has relied on this to perform the same magical disappearing-freedom act time and again throughout history?

What if the government could lock you up and throw you in jail indefinitely? What if that jail was in Cuba? What if the government has written laws to let it keep you detained forever without letting you see a lawyer or a judge? What if you were just speaking out against the government and it came to silence you? What if the government could declare you its enemy and then kill you? What if your elected representatives did nothing to stop the government from doing this? What if the government claimed that your words made you a warrior, even though there never were any armed hostilities in your neighborhood and you never threatened anyone? What if the government could classify the entire country as a battlefield and, ultimately, a prison? What if the government’s goal was to be rid of all who disagreed with it?

What if the real war was a war of misinformation? What if the government constructs its own reality in order to suit its own agenda? What if civil liberties don’t mean anything to the government? What if the government just chooses to allow you to exercise them freely because you don’t threaten it at the moment? What if the government released a report calling you a domestic terror threat, just because you disagreed with the government?

(judge napolitano)

Old 12-09-2011, 12:37 PM

one more post that i found very interesting, coming out of australia. they are getting stuck with the carbon tax legislation and now their newspapers report this:

THE whitewash begins. Now that the carbon tax has passed through federal parliament, the government's clean-up brigade is getting into the swing by trying to erase any dissent against the jobs-destroying legislation.

On cue comes the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, which this week issued warnings to businesses that they will face whopping fines of up to $1.1m if they blame the carbon tax for price rises. WHAT????

It says it has been "directed by the Australian government to undertake a compliance and enforcement role in relation to claims made about the impact of a carbon price."

Businesses are not even allowed to throw special carbon tax sales promotions before the tax arrives on July 1.

"Beat the Carbon Tax - Buy Now" or "Buy now before the carbon tax bites" are sales pitches that are verboten. Or at least, as the ACCC puts it, "you should be very cautious about making these types of claims".

There will be 23 carbon cops roaming the streets doing snap audits of businesses that "choose to link your price increases to a carbon price".

Instead, the ACCC suggests you tell customers you've raised prices because "the overall cost of running (your) business has increased".

how creepy is that?

don't think they aren't trying to do it here, as well.

maybe our soldiers are going over there to enforce the carbon tax compliance.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:26 PM

one more validation of the new world order trying to be crammed down our throats:

UN climate conference approves landmark deal - Africa - Al Jazeera English

The new accord will put all countries under the same legal requirements to control greenhouse gases by 2020 at the latest. Significantly, the US and others appear to have changed their stance.

"This is a very significant package. None of us likes everything in it. Believe me, there is plenty the United States is not thrilled about," Todd Stern, the US climate envoy, said. But the package captured important advances that would be undone if it is rejected, he told the delegates. (i just bet there is plenty not to be thrilled about!)

The deal was delayed after India led objections to a EU plan that sought strong language that would bind all countries equally to carry out their emissions commitments.

who are these people who think that they have the right to control what the whole world does????

the arrogance of the elite is astounding, and we need to get out of the U.N. and all these crooked organizations of "new world order" power.

as a commenter put it so well on nathans's economic edge:
It's not about "climate change". It's about control and power. They are talking about the sovereignty of these "poor nations", and ours. Observe MSNBC-- the propaganda machine of the NWO, promoting this nonsense. Who elects these people that will decide who gets punished, and will serve as a defacto World court?

We are in very dangerous times. As usual, it was reported previousy that no agreement would be made, that "time was running out", then presto, just in the nick of time, they come to an agreement. It is the same play over and over in our Congress, in the EU, and in the UN. That is the MO. Create a crisis, come to supposed loggerheads over the crisis you create, then force through measures that take away the sovereignty of law abiding citizens.

World News - Nations agree on landmark deal to fight climate change, aid poor countries

how dare they speak and make demands for the whole world?

Last edited by floridasandy; 12-11-2011 at 01:36 PM..

Old 12-11-2011, 03:01 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Don't argue against, Mircea, fellas. He's one of the smartest posters on C-D, and I'm not kidding. If he says anything, I'll pay attention

No, I'm not being pejorative.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:11 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Nice try, the haircut coming to the United States Of Amerit**d is going to be a lot worse than the examples you point out.
I know dude, they may do something drastic like raise the social security full retirement age to 70 oh my how will we survive. Lets put down our video game controllers and weep at our suffering.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:42 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,986,432 times
Quote:
I know dude, they may do something drastic like raise the social security full retirement age to 70 oh my how will we survive. Lets put down our video game controllers and weep at our suffering.
Do you?................ever put down the game controller?

Read a book. Study some of the subjects that you feel compelled to make comments about.

Or if you can't get the controller out of your hands, then use your game system to search the web and get informed about our economy and how it is going to effect you and yours.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:55 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Ironically it is usually those who like to imply expertise on a subject in these forums that tend to demonstrate how poor their grasp of the basics is. That is how we end up with comedy like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
It proves my insider trading knowledge, and how the day gamblers get all hot and bothered when their favorite past time is called for what it is.
Quote:
Long term hold, has a nice dividend. But i'd wait till market collapses in Sept/Oct.
Quote:
Dow 9k by Sept 21st.

Dow 7k by Oct 31st.

buy in Dec. when the middle east war is in full swing.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:47 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,986,432 times
Quote:
Ironically it is usually those who like to imply expertise on a subject in these forums that tend to demonstrate how poor their grasp of the basics is. That is how we end up with comedy like:
1 out of 3, 33.3% based on your clips of my past posts.

I'll work harder at raising that avg.

Didn't know i had a fact checker. Thanks for taking the effort to immerse yourself in my predictions.

What are yours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics