Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 01:45 PM

5,870 posts, read 11,934,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I get on the national DO NOT CALL list.....works pretty good...
That's a good start. With caller id these days, I simply don't answer the phone unless I know who it is. Sometimes that means screening an incoming call from a number I don't recognize, but 95% of the time, it's someone I didn't want to talk to. Don't answer the phone, problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 01:48 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,490,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I get on the national DO NOT CALL list.....works pretty good...
Been on it for years (just renewed last year) and it does cut down the # of telemarketers but not 100%.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:25 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,488,883 times
I'm on the national do not call list. My only phone is a cell phone, but it is my old landline phone number, so I've had to gradually filter out all the charities and political groups. Most of the time, if it says "Blocked number" I just don't answer, but sometimes I do, just to see if I can get a live person. I tell them that I am on the do not call list, and that my phone is a cell phone with only 300 minutes per month (true) and to put me on their internal do not call list. Works about 95% of the time. I only get a few calls now.

Ironically, one that it hasn't worked on is the police department. They still call me every year, and I always answer, because my caller ID says "POLICE". Every year, I tell them if they want to send me something in the mail, I will look at it, but please put me on their do not call list, and every year, they call me again.

The other one it hasn't worked on is the political groups. I've had several that are automated, and have no opt-out choice on them, which I believe is illegal.

The ones that annoy me most are the telemarketers that call at work. I have to interrupt what I am working on to answer the phone. I answer it in a way that is obviously a business, and they ask for the lady of the house. I tell them this is a business, and they apologize, hang up, and 10 minutes later, they call again. I've opted out of dozens of automated messages, but the next week I get a new message from the same company in a different voice. But the worst are the faxed solicitations. They ignore the opt out option completely. They waste my paper, and my toner, tie up my fax line, and I get at least 10 a week, sometimes more. Mostly for vacation deals. I have tried opting out and it doesn't work. They should be heavily fined.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:38 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,442,125 times
Also on the no call list, but if I get any solicitors I just say "not interested, goodbye".
I don't do "surveys" either....

Old 12-10-2011, 02:27 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,447,098 times
Many years ago I used to hand up on them too.

Now I feel somewhat sorry for them. I suspect they're only working those kind of jobs because they're desperate for income. So I just tell them I'm sorry but I cant afford to buy anything at all. I also tell them I'm on the Do Not Call list (which is true) and ask them to make sure to note that, as I will report them -- but I say it nicely.

And I usually dont even answer the phone when the call is from an unknown caller. But often those guys keep calling until you tell them not to.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:30 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Sometimes I engage them in a conversation trying to persuade them to stop being wohres to deceptive commerce, and get a respectable job. It is a shame that these poor people are forced to accept employment in which they humiliate themselves, sacrifice their dignity, and compromise any standards they might have to personal decency. Their jobs are immoral, and just barely legal, and often, their employers would be prosecuted if there was any diligent enforcement to try to locate and identify them. They are poor people who enable the rich to even further downgrade the status and dignity of the poor.

States that have aggressively "retrained" people to get them off welfare are the primary engines driving the disgraceful telemarketing industry. Even workers in call centers, answering calls from customers, are typically required to make statements that misrepresent the facts and mislead the clients. Deceptive practices rush headlong with impunity.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-12-2011 at 08:42 AM..

Old 12-12-2011, 10:54 AM

1,809 posts, read 3,193,199 times
If a telemarketer calls, give the phone to your kid and tell them it's Santa.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:32 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,240,999 times
I don't even know why companies telemarket, the practice should be banned lol. If you have to telemarket your products, chances are they suck and no one will be interested anyway. The way I see it is if I want your product, I'll contact YOU & not the other way around. Successful companies with excellent products have no need for telemarketing. Think about it, does Apple have to telemarket iphones? I don't think so.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:37 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,261,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Sometimes I engage them in a conversation trying to persuade them to stop being wohres to deceptive commerce, and get a respectable job. It is a shame that these poor people are forced to accept employment in which they humiliate themselves, sacrifice their dignity, and compromise any standards they might have to personal decency. Their jobs are immoral, and just barely legal, and often, their employers would be prosecuted if there was any diligent enforcement to try to locate and identify them. They are poor people who enable the rich to even further downgrade the status and dignity of the poor.

States that have aggressively "retrained" people to get them off welfare are the primary engines driving the disgraceful telemarketing industry. Even workers in call centers, answering calls from customers, are typically required to make statements that misrepresent the facts and mislead the clients. Deceptive practices rush headlong with impunity.
Sometimes in today's economy these jobs are all people can find. I am a telemarketer and hate it but am unable to find anything else. I have a degree to so you can imagine how humiliating it is. Things are very ugly right now with the economy.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:49 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Being on the Do Not Call list has blocked most of mine.

I was getting calls from the Indian drug pushers, but those have stopped, thank goodness.

You can just use the caller ID and not answer calls from numbers you do not recognize.

The charities I just ask to remove my number from their calling list.

If you get calls and no one responds when you answer, those are apparently fishing calls solely to determine when someone is likely to be at home. Apparently hitting the "#" key quickly and repeatedly confuses the system. I've tried it, and the calls from India stopped. I cannot prove that was a cause and effect, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics