Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 09:18 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
You guys have it all wrong.

Obama administration basically slapped a huge fine and import tax on Chinese tire manufacturers, saying they were flooding the market.

Hence, it gets more expensive to import the tires than to make them locally.

Great to see a government do something right for once.
I hope they do this on some of the other stuff they've been dumping over the years. For the past 10 years, it's been well noted that they dump garbage steel on the market to underscore American steel producers. Many manufacturers have caught on to this, and refuse to purchase Chinese steel as a result, no matter how cheap it is. It's never the proper composition, and leads to expensive rejected work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 03:59 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
andywire, What has helped as US steel corps have also gotten leaner, and offer better pricing to customers than they used to. For the most part, now being owned by equity players, US steelmakers were able to avoid the massive legacy costs which killed their predecessors.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:40 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
This story has it's full disclosure in some periodicals that deal with the purchasing of AG equipment. This Carlisle Tire Tennessee plant will be the result of an amalgamation of three plants, two in the US and a small portion of a Carlisle Chinese operation.

I can't help but note the enthusiasm of some posters who were thinking that the US will somehow regain it's manufacturing dominance, on the one hand it's good to hear the cheering for our country as opposed to the usual explanations of the necessary evils of global free markets and how we all will eventually benefit from them.

On the other hand I really don't see the possibility of a resurgence in American manufacturing. Given the whole story we can see the strategy being molded wherein the taxpayers are going to be asked to "pitch in" for the good of big business. In this case the local energy authority (AKA the taxpayers) will build new infrastructure to facilitate the new plant which only brings a small portion of the Chinese work back to the states.

In this threads early posts we can also see the obvious political trolls who insist on thinking that this entire global trade debacle is tied to Obama, or worse, the notion that foreigners can't build quality stuff, in both cases the posters are probably a good cross cut of the average American's limited understanding of the complexity of this new economic order and where they stand in relation to it...This from an Ag news magazine,

But at the plant's east end, in an area smaller than a football field, workers now are assembling soil compacting wheels used in farm seeding equipment. The wheels fold and compress topsoil over seeds after they are planted. The wheels are being assembled from parts shipped to the plant. Eventually, the product will be made entirely in Jackson.
"That is the part of the business we are moving back from China," Williams said.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:35 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
I hope that Carlisle starts making bicycle tires again once back in the US. I have not been able to buy a really good bicycle tire since Carlisle stopped making bicycle tires. Every bike tire sold now is cheap china junk.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
I hope that Carlisle starts making bicycle tires again once back in the US. I have not been able to buy a really good bicycle tire since Carlisle stopped making bicycle tires. Every bike tire sold now is cheap china junk.
Quality is expensive. Always has been. Unfortunately, there are simply not enough people willing to pay a quality price tag to support production of their quality tires here. Have you searched for smaller scale manufacturers of bicycle tires?

Old 02-27-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
On the other hand I really don't see the possibility of a resurgence in American manufacturing. Given the whole story we can see the strategy being molded wherein the taxpayers are going to be asked to "pitch in" for the good of big business. In this case the local energy authority (AKA the taxpayers) will build new infrastructure to facilitate the new plant which only brings a small portion of the Chinese work back to the states.

In this threads early posts we can also see the obvious political trolls who insist on thinking that this entire global trade debacle is tied to Obama, or worse, the notion that foreigners can't build quality stuff, in both cases the posters are probably a good cross cut of the average American's limited understanding of the complexity of this new economic order and where they stand in relation to it...This from an Ag news magazine.
China subsidizes their manufacturing sector 100X as much compared to what our country does. How do you think they can sell things cheaper than we can even buy the material here in the states? Does that mean we should simply give up on manufacturing anything in this country anymore? Considering the huge number of innovations made possible thank to having a large industrial base here in this country, I believe we should do as much as we can to protect our industrial base.

And no one says foreigners can't do good manufacturing work. I would say the Germans and the Swiss offer quality that 95% of our shops cannot even tough. Manufacturers there do not need government subsidies because they do just fine making the highest quality goods possible at a healthy margin. The problem here in this country is the consumer is price driven, and quality means significantly less, which leads to brutal margins. So much so that it become unprofitable to even attempt to make some things here.

Can Chinese companies offer good quality? Certainly they are capable, but you will have to pay a price comparable to what American manufacturers charge. Quality costs money, same in ever country. Labor accounts for significantly less of the production costs than ever before due to improvements in automation, factory utilization rates and efficiency. There are some problems I have with China though... Blatant disregard for safety and well being of the workers = cheaper production costs... No environmental regulation (dumping waste into rivers and smog as thick as pea soup) = cheaper production costs and higher cancer rates than ever for Chinese citizens... Many more than I care to get into. Yes they can beat us in price, but someone has to pay for it... Their workers and citizens. Better them then you I guess Manufacturers here have an uphill battle because we have a government that seeks to keep our air clean, our workers healthy, and our water drinkable. Hate to see our manufacturing base widdled away because of those privileges we enjoy. Keep buying Made in China
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics