Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 02:41 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,863 times

Advertisements

I'm somewhat confused on this question. This is how it's worded:

Your college football fan club is planning a tailgate party as a fund raiser. You are planning a menu for the party. You must determine the fixed and variable costs of the party. You must categorize the menu items needed into either fixed or variable cost. You must decide on the ticket price you are going to charge for each person attending. Your tasks are to:

- Determine the number of people who must attend so that your club breaks even on the party.
- Determine the number of people who must attend if your club wishes to make a profit of $1,000 on the party.

I know a little bit about fixed and variable costs but I'm confused as to how to calculate each cost for the items and so forth. Apparently I have to plan a menu from scratch, determine the costs for each item and hoping that it breaks even. Anyone able to give me a jump start on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 09:36 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
I'm somewhat confused on this question. This is how it's worded:

Your college football fan club is planning a tailgate party as a fund raiser. You are planning a menu for the party. You must determine the fixed and variable costs of the party. You must categorize the menu items needed into either fixed or variable cost. You must decide on the ticket price you are going to charge for each person attending. Your tasks are to:

- Determine the number of people who must attend so that your club breaks even on the party.
- Determine the number of people who must attend if your club wishes to make a profit of $1,000 on the party.

I know a little bit about fixed and variable costs but I'm confused as to how to calculate each cost for the items and so forth. Apparently I have to plan a menu from scratch, determine the costs for each item and hoping that it breaks even. Anyone able to give me a jump start on this?

I usually dont help with homework, but this is so simple I cant avoid it

Variable costs are costs that move based on production or output requirement

Fixed costs are costs that dont move.

For instance, in your example, fixed cost might be the cost to rent the facility, while a variable cost might be drinks or waiter hours.

The questions you are being asked is, at what point will your party break even. This is the point where your total costs come to your total revenue. The easiest way to do this is to find at what point the cost per ticket is exactly the price per ticket. The trick of this is diving the fixed cost down to a "per ticket" value, when the number of tickets is a variable. Now, confusingly enough, your problem has no given variable for the ticket price, so, you could literally just add up your fixed cost with your variable cost, and sell 1 ticket at that price.

However, your equation would always look like this

Total number of units needed= Total Fixed Cost/price-variable cost per unit

This equation literally subtracts out the per unit variable contribution to the price of the unit, and divides the remaining fixed cost into the total units needed.

Before I start from the beginning, I have to make the assumption that you are able to identify a per unit cost per variable cost, and they are static and not staggered, because otherwise, you would just have to assume a ticket quantity as well.

That said, say fixed costs were $500, and variable costs per unit were $1, and you are given the freedom to determine ticket price, and you pick $10.

The equation would be tickets= $500/($10-$1) or $500/$9, or 56 tickets (rounded up).

To check that, the total revenue from 56 tickets at $10, is $560 bucks, the total cost is $500 + ($1*56), or $556 dollars. You would actually need to sell "half a ticket" to break exactly even.

To figure out how many tickets to profit $1000, just add $1000 to the fixed cost, so instead of $500, it would be $1500, and the equation would be x=$1500/($10-$1) or $1500/$9, 0r 167 tickets rounded up.

To check, 167 * 10 is 1670 revenue, 500 + (167*1) cost, or 667 cost, so, $1003 profit, again, youd have to sell a partial ticket to profit exactly $3.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:12 PM

3,925 posts, read 6,839,150 times
Unless I am confused myself by this question. I give a major facepalm to the OP.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:44 PM

85 posts, read 259,352 times
His only cost is food. Isn't all food a variable cost?

Old 04-23-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbert_2001 View Post
His only cost is food. Isn't all food a variable cost?

Usually, unless you were just buying in bulk independent of the expected attendence and the remaining food had no further utility, but I assume there is much more to this question. For instance, wouldnt you need a venue for a party? Lights? Entertainment of some sort? I mean, even if it was just a bunch of trucks parked together, there would be fixed costs for cooking equipment and possibly parking costs.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:03 PM

85 posts, read 259,352 times
"You are planning a menu for the party."
"You must categorize the menu items needed into either fixed or variable cost"

Technically, it says nothing else about the party. Maybe it's someone else's job to find the venue or bring music? After all, it's a club, so there are other members that should be working on this fundraiser.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbert_2001 View Post
"You are planning a menu for the party."
"You must categorize the menu items needed into either fixed or variable cost"

Technically, it says nothing else about the party. Maybe it's someone else's job to find the venue or bring music? After all, it's a club, so there are other members that should be working on this fundraiser.
You are right, it doesnt say anything as worded, but then again, the question wouldnt have much of a point, because, absent of fixed cost, break even is exactly equal to variable cost per unit. So, essentially, selling no tickets at all would be the first break even point (0/x is always 0), and every ticket sold would be "break even" if price were simply adjusted to variable cost per unit.

Conversely, if some price over the variable cost were charged, the ONLY break even point would be zero tickets, as the first ticket would net profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics