Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 05:29 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,627,270 times

Advertisements

I have a question about how the gas prices are spiking now here on the west coast. I know about the oil refinery fire in California and the strain that will now put on supply until the refinery comes back online. But an expert on the news two days ago said they expect this will cause a 30 cent increase in prices.

However, in the 2-3 days since this happened most stations in my area have already gone up 30 cents or more. The price went up twice in one day at two stations I go by, which seems to make no sense since they don't take delivery of new gas twice in a day, so that higher cost wouldn't have hit them yet.

The conspiracy theorist in me says this is just the stations using this latest excuse to squeeze as much money out of all of as quickly as they can. Does that seem to be truly the case in these situations, or would there be a valid reason for spikes twice in a day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 05:57 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
The conspiracy theorist in me says this is just the stations using this latest excuse to squeeze as much money out of all of as quickly as they can.
No! That can't possibly be the *real* reasoning. Could it?

Old 08-10-2012, 06:53 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,986,432 times
Fuel suppliers love money more than people? Say it ain't so Bobby! Say it ain't so!

Old 08-10-2012, 07:49 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,627,270 times
Haha look, I know likely that greed is the answer, but I was just curious if there was any other real, valid reason.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:51 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,876 times
Remember. When prices are low, the free market has spoken. When prices go up, we're getting ripped off.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:02 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
I have a question about how the gas prices are spiking now here on the west coast. I know about the oil refinery fire in California and the strain that will now put on supply until the refinery comes back online. But an expert on the news two days ago said they expect this will cause a 30 cent increase in prices.

However, in the 2-3 days since this happened most stations in my area have already gone up 30 cents or more. The price went up twice in one day at two stations I go by, which seems to make no sense since they don't take delivery of new gas twice in a day, so that higher cost wouldn't have hit them yet.

The conspiracy theorist in me says this is just the stations using this latest excuse to squeeze as much money out of all of as quickly as they can. Does that seem to be truly the case in these situations, or would there be a valid reason for spikes twice in a day?
With corn crop coming in a much, much lower yields than anyone ever expected not only will food prices jump up so with the cost of making ethanol for use in blended gasolines.

Midwest Drought Hits Gas Pump As Ethanol Prices Rise

Gasoline Prices Rise as Drought Weighs on Ethanol - WSJ.com

E85 Prices

Tax credit for ethanol is set to expire which will add to gas cost/prices..........
Expiring ethanol credit to add to gas price jump :: WRAL.com

Old 08-10-2012, 09:08 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times
The gas marketplace is based on real world economics. What if someone told you due to a little problem that isn't publicly known Apple is going to have a hard time selling iphones exactly 3 months from now and that is when the marketplace will hear why for the first time. Would you short Apple's stock today or would you wait 3 months? Fuel suppliers operate on the same logic, this well known supply shortage is common knowledge and everyone is reacting. If supply is about to decrease the market needs to have a higher price to create reduced consumption or else things get even worse.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:19 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Even more directly, if you knew your gas delivery tomorrow would cost 30 cents a gallon more than the delivery you got yesterday, would you wait until tomorrow to raise your retail prices on the gas you have in your tank now?

I believe most business owners would raise the prices today. No conspiracy, just normal market economics at work.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:40 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Haha look, I know likely that greed is the answer, but I was just curious if there was any other real, valid reason.
California formulation is different than the other states.
The already reduced capacity hit by -any- hiccup in refining or shipping will be felt.
The fungible international oil price plays a part but a small part relative to these CA specific factors.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:35 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,986,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Remember. When prices are low, the free market has spoken. When prices go up, we're getting ripped off.
When prices are low, it is to hedge regulation. The prices would be high all the time, if that threat were to wane.

Study the Oil Markets as they are tied to the military industrial complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics