Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 02:15 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,232,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Most on here aren't even talking about Rn's with Associate degrees.
They actually want hospitals to start hiring Lpn's with one charge Rn.
They want hospitals to get rid of expensive Rn's and put Lpn's in their place,because they think aa Lpn can do all the things an Rn can do without the extra expense(Rn pay)
The initial poster I responded to stated, "My point is a BSN shouldn't be required in the first place for a job that only requires an associates."

Very simply, more patients will die. It's a proven fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 08:05 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I have tried to self pay before(with cash upfront) and most doctors still didn't want to see me.
They said they don't accept patients without insurance.

Anyone know why lots of physicians won't treat anyone with out insurance?
Because they are concerned that your care may exceed your resources to pay for it. This "pay cash" sounds good until you get hit with a bill of $1000s of dollars. They probably know from sad experience that people who say they'll pay it off "a little at a time" fail to do so more often than not.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:11 PM

830 posts, read 1,730,908 times
I am not sure why exactly some doctors don't want to take cash pay patients. I do know that a patient that has insurance is much easier to treat over time. If you're a simple patient with no problems and all you need is a physical every year, it's no big deal. As soon as you have anything else going on, you find that costs starts to hamper your ability to treat your patient (if the patient is having to pay). I went to see a doctor recently and found that the lab (not the doctor's office) charged me almost 200 bucks for thyroid blood work. The other routine blood work for my physical probably was at least 600 dollars total. There wasn't really anything extraneous ordered. Had I been forced to pay that myself, I might have asked the doctor to order fewer tests. That would not be a healthy option for patients that actually have medical problems that need to be monitored by labs or for people who have risk factors and need to be screened for diabetes or cholesterol. Now that was just labs. What about the guy who goes to the cardiologist for potential cardiac problems. Wouldn't he be tempted to not show up for his stress test if it was going to cost him hundreds of dollars out of pocket?

Old 10-01-2012, 04:32 PM

25,978 posts, read 22,169,754 times
Health insurance is the main driver of high healthcare costs. It is an industry now.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:48 PM

50 posts, read 115,331 times
Nurses salaries are too high?! Nurses earn every penny of their paycheck. Yes, i make a comfortable salary but i also worked hard for my masters degree and professional experience.

If you want to talk about high salaries in healthcare, take a look at the salaries of the upper administrators. In major metro areas, some are making over $500,000 a year.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:06 PM

250 posts, read 383,906 times
As someone who has been in the hospital many times, I'd say nurses are worth every penny. Most I have had, have been very nice, Took good care of me both medically and most would sense if I was feeling down and take time I know they did NOT have, to talk to me about it.. I think they are under paid to be honest...I know a few nurses have chimed in.. I want to thank you for what you do. YOU ROCK

Old 10-02-2012, 07:36 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,739,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So who do you think will stitch up your wound at this "clinic"? Joe the Tailor? You don't seem to understand licensing requirements.

The difference between teeth whitening and cancer care is vast.
i understand regulatory requirements. i think there are too many of them. yes, there is a big difference between cancer care and teeth whitening, thanks for pointing that out. there are also a lot of medical needs in between those things. the more of them we can shift to patient paying for the service, the lower the cost of healthcare will be.

who do i want to stitch my wound up? im not sure. who charges me what price and do i have any recommendations from friends/family on who to go to? are they an independent practice or are they affiliated with a national chain with transparent standards and a solid reputation? are there reviews online? do they have a nice clean facility with a professional staff? what qualifications does the person doing to stitching have?

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 10-02-2012 at 07:46 AM..

Old 10-02-2012, 09:18 AM

272 posts, read 322,725 times
health care profession requires more and more skills our days, not less!
We have so many different drugs, sophisticated medical equipment, computer systems and so on. There is no turning back and have a people without education to treat patients. BSN is going to be a requirement to work in a hospital and it is very good for us as a patients. Don't want some dumb kid who couldn't pass math class, but very proficient on 100 video games, to treat me, sorry!

Old 10-03-2012, 12:52 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,739,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetka_grunya View Post
health care profession requires more and more skills our days, not less!
We have so many different drugs, sophisticated medical equipment, computer systems and so on. There is no turning back and have a people without education to treat patients. BSN is going to be a requirement to work in a hospital and it is very good for us as a patients. Don't want some dumb kid who couldn't pass math class, but very proficient on 100 video games, to treat me, sorry!
your choices may be different if you had to pay the bill. but the insurance company covers it and you have a small copay, so the cost means nothing to you.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:48 PM

250 posts, read 383,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
your choices may be different if you had to pay the bill. but the insurance company covers it and you have a small copay, so the cost means nothing to you.
I think what the above poster you is saying is you would want someone who is educated on what they are doing, I know regardless if I was paying or not I would want an educated professional working on me not someone who read stuff online on how to do something, Also sometimes you get what you pay for.

Last edited by pulse1000; 10-03-2012 at 08:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics