Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 07:17 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,032,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
Yeah, I know, God forbid you should have bargain internet and a 5 year old computer that allows you to look for work, and do some work at home, and help maximize the money you have.
People forget that many of us were in a much better place 5 years ago. My husband had a much better paying job, before he lost it and spent nearly 3 years working for temp agencies and day labor places. That's right...he worked...instead of sitting around getting an unemployment check for 2 plus years.
I work despite having health problems that could probably get me SSD if i pushed it, like some do....not saying there aren't a lot of people out there who deserved to get SSD but I know people who can work some but don't bother cos they can get that monthly check. I also helped to care for, and support my step-daughter for 16 years. Her mother died with no insurance and never having made enough to qualify her child for survivor's benefits.
So, no, if we qualify some months for some SNAP benefits, I'm not going to be ashamed
I know how you feel. I lost a decent job in January, 2009 and haven't found a decent job since. I work, but have only been able to get part-time, which has been reduced to 15 hours a week. I live with and help my elderly parents. When my work hours go down, I have to file for food stamps to help get by. I don't let it bother me. I've paid for those benefits for the last 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 08:42 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,741,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
No. Food stamps are allotted by household size also -- many households are quite large and even the breastfeeding infant gets the full amount of food stamps --- AND WIC. When the toddlers are put in Headstart, they will get 2 free meals there -- same for all school aged children, most of their meals are provided by the schools which means that the household can use their food money for others or sell them.

The breastfeeding infant's mother receives different/extra foods from WIC as a nursing mom to encourage her to continue to breastfeed and help ensure she has good nutrition while doing so. WAY less $$ than formula at any rate.

I feed my kids breakfast at home every day even though they do qualify for free breakfast because I don't' want them eating the crap that passes as "food" at school. Likewise with lunch, I try to send lunch as much as possible. There is no reason to believe a family on food stamps might not be doing the same.

As for household size, it works both ways. I was on food stamps when my 20 year old son was a toddler and I always had leftover. It's an entirely different ballgame when that same toddler is a 15 year old boy. The allotment is the same whether or not it is a household with one adult, a 4 year old and a 2 year old, or one adult and 2 teen boys.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Sounds like an urban legend to me.

If true, that amount wasn't just for a single month. Food stamp programs are not known for their generosity. State social services could hyothetically deny a food stamp claim and the person could have contested the decision. After 8 or 9 or 10 months of floating around in state offices, someone could finally decide that the person had been eligible for food stamps all along and award them the back amount owed. That happens very rarely, though.
Or, it *could* be a very large household. Or a combination of a very large household and a situation where they received 2 months at once due to the application date like you mention. Often it's 2 months at one time because they delay and screw up repeatedly.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:45 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,316,354 times
My grocery bill at Target last week was $91.71. After my coupons were deducted and I also used my Red Card, which give me 5% off, my total was $56.39. That's a savings of $35.72 that I can spend on meat when I get my freezer. Last month, because I spent $50 or more (I spent over $50) at Target, I was eligible for a $10 gift card. I used that $10 gift card to buy a desk lamp that I needed.

I get points from taking quizzes through Recycle Bank. When I got to 2500 points, I was eligible for a $10 gift card, and I chose Home Depot. My freezer went on sale for 10% off, and I used the gift card on it. It's arriving sometime this week, and I plan to start filling it up.

There are ways to save if you apply yourself.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:11 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,663,868 times
A single adult receives $200 a month in MN.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:12 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
What many of you are doing is comparing your own situations with someone living in another state where the cost of living may be higher not to mention transportation cost on top of childcare cost while they are shopping and lets not forget finding a store that has what you need and accepts foodstamps.
I always took mine with me. They have to learn to behave in public and it's good for them to learn how to shop wisely as they get older.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:14 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,726,707 times
$30 per week is more than enough for a single person for groceries per week. If he can't live on them, he's doing something very wrong.

1 package of chicken breast ($7)

3 packages of rice mix ($5)

2 boxes of pasta ($3)

1 loaf of bread ($3)

1 dozen eggs ($2)

butter ($3)

milk ($5)

You can get the gallon bottles of water for $1 each or drink tap water. Also, there will always be stuff left to go into the next week so I didn't include veggies or stuff like that. After a while, it all catches up and you have enough of everything in the house.

$30 is enough --- it may not be "easy" but it's enough. Use coupons, look for sales.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
A single adult receives $200 a month in MN.
I am pretty sure that all states figure the amount based on varying factors. Did you mean the maximum?

Me and my neighbor could both walk in and apply and have the same number of people but end up with different allotments based on our income or lack thereof, child care costs or none, higher housing payment, etc.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:30 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,934,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
$30 per week is more than enough for a single person for groceries per week. If he can't live on them, he's doing something very wrong.

1 package of chicken breast ($7)

2 boxes of pasta ($3)

1 loaf of bread ($3)

1 dozen eggs ($2)

butter ($3)

milk ($5)

You can get the gallon bottles of water for $1 each or drink tap water. Also, there will always be stuff left to go into the next week so I didn't include veggies or stuff like that. After a while, it all catches up and you have enough of everything in the house.

$30 is enough --- it may not be "easy" but it's enough. Use coupons, look for sales.
Excuse me, but with all due respect, what from that minimum list you gave will be left over to "catch up" for the next week? Given the above items in a person's pantry, they could get by with a breakfast of eggs and toast for 6 days, just toast on the 7th day, and no morning coffee or tea or any other time for that matter. Lunch would have to be pasta and butter; dinner would be a few oz's chicken and rice mix carefully doled out to last for 7 meals. You could have a small glass of milk with each meal, but you'd better keep it small.

What is left over??????????

A person on such a diet would suffer from lack of fruit and vegetables and would be hungry all the time. Get real, people!

Old 01-13-2013, 10:33 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,316,354 times
This amount is high - most of it can be bought for less.

30 per week is more than enough for a single person for groceries per week. If he can't live on them, he's doing something very wrong.

1 package of chicken breast ($7) - A rotisserie chicken would be better than a package of chicken. After the chicken is gone, soup can be made from the bones, and that's another meal or two. All that is needed to buy for it is an onion, package of celery and some carrots.

2 boxes of pasta ($3) - ($.99ea at the $.99 only store/$1.00ea at Dollar Tree)

1 loaf of bread ($3) -( $.99ea at the $.99 only store/$1.00ea at Dollar Tree)

1 dozen eggs ($2) - ($.99ea at the $.99 only store)

butter ($3) - ($.2.49 at Target & Walmart)

milk ($5) - ($3.00 at Target & Walmart)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics