Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 06:50 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Some cashiers do as well.

It seems to depend on how strong their union is.
Left to their own devices it seems they'll never get anything.
My sister, a non union cashier, gets 3 weeks vacation per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 06:59 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Just wondering you guys' opinions.

Janitor

Old 03-26-2013, 08:06 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,775 times
I met a janitor years ago who makes well over $100K a year consistantly. I have yet to meet a cashier who makes $100K a year. So yeah, janitor over cashier. This janitor did own his own janitorial business and it was a decent size account.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:15 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,456,008 times
Perhaps a more apt question on this comparison of generally entry level type service jobs and their respective ranking on the hypothetical 'food chain' of business responsibilities, is whose job is likely to evaporate first due to automation / robotics and who will get more exposure to business activities to get an 'education' while working.

I'd say all things being equal the cashier is long term more viable as all attempts I've experienced so far to automate (i.e. self checkout at grocery stores for example) the cashier / clerk function are not very effective and require a human to verify and be on hand.

The typical janitor activities IMO may be more rapidly eliminated due to automation / robotics (mostly repetitive more easily programmed non customer interaction etc..) such as some variation of iRobot Roomba or say, modular public restrooms that are self cleaning.

So, in the long term I think the cashier / clerk activities - due to various business variables provides 'higher food chain' on long term need as the interaction with customers at purchase and as an additional loss prevention level to transactions and from a overall business model it likely provides more educational insight into a business' operations than the janitor. Although that's not to say an inquisitive janitor working during business hours may not pick up a free 'business model' education. Just that a cashier is likely to experience more tangential exposure to elements of the business operations on regular basis.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:17 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
My sister, a non union cashier, gets 3 weeks vacation per year.
Good for her. Do you know the rest of the details in her contract?
You know, something that might put that one factoid into context?

Old 03-26-2013, 11:26 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:

No contract, but annual raises, very good Health Insurance where the employer is paying in excess of the 72% overall US employer average, superb 401k option where profits determine employer share, and it has consitently been more than $2 employer per $1 employee, 6 sick days paid, good employee discounts.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:32 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,384 times
Quote:
3 weeks of vacation. There doesn't need to be any context. The person in question is a cashier and gets 3 weeks of vacation. What are you even talking about?

Old 03-27-2013, 07:02 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Companies Paying Cashiers $40,000/Year - Business Insider

Quote:
The average American cashier makes $20,230 a year, which in a single-earner household would leave a family of four living under the poverty line.

But if he works the cash registers at QuikTrip, it’s an entirely different story.

The convenience store and gas station chain offers entry-level employees an annual salary of around $40,000, plus benefits.

Those high wages didn’t stop QuikTrip from prospering in a hostile economic climate
Quote:
QuikTrip, Trader Joe’s, and Costco operate on a different model, says Ton. "They start with the mentality of seeing employees as assets to be maximized," she says. As a result, their stores boast better operational efficiency and customer service, and those result in better sales. QuikTrip sales per labor hour are two-thirds higher than the average convenience store chain, Ton found, and sales per square foot are over fifty percent higher.

The decision to offer low wages is a choice, not an economic necessity.

Quote:
The approach seems like common sense. Keeping shelves stocked and helping customers find merchandise are key to maximizing sales, and it takes human judgment and people skills to execute those tasks effectively. To see what happens when workers are devalued, look no further than Borders or Circuit City. Both big-box retailers saw sales plummet after staff cutbacks, and both ultimately went bankrupt.
Those of us who are part of the Costco cult know how much we value the high quality of their cashiers.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:44 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Neither. There are no bad jobs, only jobs done badly. People are not necessarily their jobs, and shouldn't be judged by their jobs alone.
I agree. Do a job well, and you are higher on the food chain that the thieves that are running the banks into the ground and leaching off the taxpayer's money and then throwing a party with the money we bailed them out with. Who is higher on the food chain in that case? Money doesn't equal success or pride. I was watching someone go around empty the trash the other day in a hospital and she was doing a perfect job. Is she lower than the CEO that is most likely some greedy jerk that is costing patients piles of money? Look at how the CEO of Oracle does business if you want to compare. Sure he has tons of money and gets his picture in Forbes as one of the most greedy. Is he successful? I hardly think so. He is an embarrassment, but is getting away with it.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:29 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
No contract, but annual raises, very good Health Insurance where the employer is paying in excess of the 72% overall US employer average, superb 401k option where profits determine employer share, and it has consitently been more than $2 employer per $1 employee, 6 sick days paid, good employee discounts.
Can you DM me with where she works? I'll pass it on to that cashier. I feel sorry for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics