Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:38 AM

788 posts, read 2,111,347 times

Advertisements

I don't necessarily disagree with any of the above - but I do have something to add.
People are people and as a group it will usually have all of the same dynamics that you dealt with in highschool to a certain extent. Learning to deal with people is the essence to life in general. Gossip - avoid it like the plague - it will get you NO WHERE. Learn to say only what you would say in front of the actual person. If you ever get caught otherwise - ADMIT it - they won't believe you anyway - and then apologize IMMEDIATELY. It's hard - but I just usually walk away when the conversation gets too personal or mean spirited and say something about deadlines. A few times I have had to say outright that I don't feel that talking badly about someone is something that I am interested in - but I'd rather not have that kind of a confrontation - it's just not worth it.

Another few rules for workplace and life in general

**Have a firm handshake and look people in the eye - when you pass them in the hall say hello and smile.
**Don't share your pain - when someone asks "how are ya?" Just say - "great - you?" even if your hamster died that am - the person doesn't really care - it's just an expression!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 11:06 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Tips:
Don't sell your soul to the company. Do extra work when necessary but don't kill yourself to the point of burn-out. If they want you gone, you will be gone... just because you gave your life to the company doesn't mean they won't lay you off.
Never say in an email what you wouldn't say in real life.

I have known several people that have gotten divorced cause they did this. No company is worth it.

Communications and processes are key to success. If there is no communications or processes in your departments - CREATE them yourself.

Keep a paper trail always. I always insist on email correspondence. No verbal - case you have to defend yourself at times. Sad but true, there are many individuals who will gladly throw you under the bus to make themselves look good.

Not too many breaks, i.e. extra long lunch (OK once in a great while this is OK) or cig breaks.

Make your manager look good, you will get better raises. This does not mean letting them take credit for your stuff or covering his b*tt though.

If you are under a manager that you simply cannot along with (if they are a sociopath) move to another department or get out of the company.

Stay out of the gossip. And don't repeat rumors. If the company wants you to know, they will tell you.

Good luck.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:25 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
I disagree with the last poster. Yes there are some people who are popular with their coworkers who lose their jobs but in most cases it is the outsiders who are more likely to lose out in the world of work. To many people who lack social skills are pushed aside and isolated on the job. The boss is not a robot and likes people who are likable but of course get the work done too.
You're comparing (or contrasting) polar opposites in an attempt to validate your point of view. I never made mention of being a social outcast or loner in the workplace. Obviously these type of people will have a difficult time advancing in their careers because they don't have the skills necessary to manage or lead others.

Many of your posts seem to suggest that being popular is the key to success. That's simply not true, and I don't want the OP to get that idea when reading this thread. To be successful, you need to bring value to your organization. You need to be a team player, but you also need to be a leader among your peers. You need to work smarter than the rest.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:14 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
I work in an office that has a lot of office politics going on, when I first got there they all tried to drag me in. I just couldn't do it.
I took my time forming an opinion on these people but I was courteous, friendly and did my job. It didn't take long before they realized that I wasn't interested in the silly stuff.
We do discuss big events in our lives, weddings, births, divorces ect...but it stops there.

I learned a long time ago that while it's OK to go out for a couple of drinks but NEVER EVER go out and party with them.

I keep my home life at home.

It works because the other day I was passing ones of the worst offenders desk and heard her say.."Sue's one of my favorite co-workers, she doesn't get involved with the BS".

Ok on socializing outside of work.....don't do anything with your co-workers that you would be embarassed about if everybody knew. Cuz they will.

You'll be fine!!

Old 11-01-2007, 07:50 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
You got some really great advice. To add, learn the corporate culture because each is uniquely different and learn the game. There will some rough times and oh gosh so much to learn. :-)

Old 11-02-2007, 04:51 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
A great piece of advise that was given to me by the head of a major company.
"It's not who you know,it's who knows you and the job you do"

Some other tips
If everyone chips in each month for monthly birthdays add your couple bucks.
Dress for the job you want not the job you have
If there is a general place where folks go on break hang out there once in awhile it may give you the chance to talk with other people from different departments. Don't be shy in talking about what you do.
At the company I use to work at everyone would hang out in the same area during breaks. I ended up chatting with this one person quite often.
One day a position opened up on the most sought after team in the company, I received a email from the hiring manager requesting my resume and that I "post" for the job.
It turns out the person I chatted with on break was a VP high up the "food chain" in a different area of the company. lol I always though he was just "joe from building 3"
He was impressed with my work ethic and how much I knew about my field so that when the position opened up he told the hiring manager that I would be perfect for the job.
So see you never know who is paying attention to you and the job you do .

Finally the best piece of advise was given to me by my dad when I got my first job some 30+ years ago
"When you get your paycheck ask yourself "did I earn this"

Old 11-02-2007, 07:08 AM

238 posts, read 1,144,465 times
Default 20 tips for success

1) All workplaces are political, if people with different personalities are involved.

2) An inability to use “office politics” to your advantage will hold you back at work.

3) Only a small part of the decision on promotions and salary increases for employees is based on hard work or technical skills.

4) There is widespread favoritism in every office.

5) If you want to get ahead, you must find a way to let senior management (not just your boss) know about your accomplishments and skills.

6) No one is indispensable or safe in their job, especially you!

7) Socializing with your co workers is very important to the success in your job. Though do not expect to make “real friends” in the office.

8) Most negative personnel actions (layoffs, firings, demotions, salary freezes, etc.) are a result of a lack of political skills, or poor interpersonal relationships, not a lack of technical skills or hard work.

9) The key to success in any organization is the ability to get people to work effectively with you- that you have no real power over.

10) Loose lips sink ships (and careers) in the work world. Trust no one! You heard the story of the terminated employee that before he/she was fired told a sensitive story in complete confidence to one person, who told the story in complete confidence to another person, and so on and so on.

11) People will gossip about anything, it is just human nature. Though the most popular gossip is negative sometimes hurtful information about people.

12) The people you work with are mostly just that: the people you work with. They are really not your friends. They may be for the time being your allies, mentors, accomplices, etc. Do not make the mistake of assuming they are real friends. So think before you share any comments, suggestions, confidences and gossip. Always assume that what you say will get around and be twisted.

13) Do not email messages that are better left unsaid. What you write is saved for good.

14) You just can not be successful on the job without being part of the office grapevine. Key into business related professional gossip and ignore personal gossip.

15) The people (and level) of people you socialize with in the office has a strong impact on your career and what people think about you.

16) Do as much as you can for the right people before being asked. You know who the right people are!

17) What is considered to be negative or unethical office politics to you, may be just considered “what is best for the organization” by the other person.

18) Being a good office politician means that you know how to turn individual agendas into common goals.

19) “Face time” can be much more important than results in an office job. People see the hours you put in at the office; they really do not see your results. Do not advertise your vacations.

20) Everyone speaks from his/her own agenda.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:52 PM

555 posts, read 2,212,146 times
If there is a lot of office gossip and complaining, it is probably a good indication that the leadership at the top is poor. Stuff happens and when management fails to address problematic people and situations, morale plunges and the affected employees feel powerless. Also, never complain about being bored. I knew of a kid out of college that was not given a promotion because she did not use her time wisely and complained about being bored, and some of the work she could have been doing was beneath her. Be willing to do grunt work, even with a degree in hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics