Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 03:16 PM

9 posts, read 20,470 times

Advertisements

I googled this but it seems to be rather complicated. I'm just curious about a friend...she works in Italy as an American.

Now does she pay the Italian income tax on her overall, earned-in-Italy income, THEN pay American income tax based on the remaining income? Or does she pay American taxes on the pre-Italian-taxed income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 03:36 PM

795 posts, read 1,392,174 times
The latter. Order of payment doesn't matter. She will pay U.S. income taxes on total worldwide income, including all (pretax) income earned in Italy. I don't know Italy's income tax system for non-citizens.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:29 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,333,540 times
It's complicated but basically she has an foreign earned income exemption on income earned outside the U.S. up to about $80-85k. If she has a housing subsidy that's actually factored into that, so she'd need to be careful there. Once she crosses that threshold, I believe she pays extra income over that amount. Any taxes she pays in Italy could also be used as a tax credit toward her overall taxable income. Mind you, this is my non-professional understanding of the code, which changes frequently. I'd always get a final opinion from someone who handles foreign income taxes.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:38 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,918,782 times
Soccerfan,
Every country has a different tax treaty for American workers. Some countries all the
tax is paid to them, the country where the money was earned. Other countries are different.
Depends on the country.
Her employer will let her know what to do. They will be responsible for paying whatever taxes
to whatever government they have to. Accountants also know the answers to her questions.
There are literally so many treaties between countries, it's unbelievable.
In any scenario, for the US, you do not pay taxes twice. It's either you pay the US, or the country
you are making the money in.
Let's say she has to pay the Italian government for the tax there, then she would claim an exemption
amount that would literally lower her taxable income on our F.1040 to zero.
She should get advise from a tax professional as soon as possible or talk to her employer, who
probably understands the tax laws between Italy and the USA. They hired her, they probably
hire many Americans.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:12 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,732,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
It's complicated but basically she has an foreign earned income exemption on income earned outside the U.S. up to about $80-85k. If she has a housing subsidy that's actually factored into that, so she'd need to be careful there. Once she crosses that threshold, I believe she pays extra income over that amount. Any taxes she pays in Italy could also be used as a tax credit toward her overall taxable income. Mind you, this is my non-professional understanding of the code, which changes frequently. I'd always get a final opinion from someone who handles foreign income taxes.
You're basically right. If your earned income from Italy is below the cap, you can write that off with the foreign tax exemption. After that and for other non-US sources of income (i.e., interest income, dividends and capital gains), you pay the Italian taxes on these types of income and then, within each category, use foreign tax credits to reduce your US tax.

What i am not sure about is, if your earned foreign income is above the cap, whether you can use foreign tax credits on the remainder to reduce your US income tax. You certainly can use foreign tax credits on all your earned income for the entire amount, as one alternative.

If you have income from non-earned income sources in the US, you may need to find out if Italy wants to tax these. It all depends on whether Italy taxes your world-wide income or just your Italian source income as a resident of Italy.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:21 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,732,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Soccerfan,
Every country has a different tax treaty for American workers. Some countries all the
tax is paid to them, the country where the money was earned. Other countries are different.
Depends on the country.
Her employer will let her know what to do. They will be responsible for paying whatever taxes
to whatever government they have to. Accountants also know the answers to her questions.
There are literally so many treaties between countries, it's unbelievable.
In any scenario, for the US, you do not pay taxes twice. It's either you pay the US, or the country
you are making the money in.
Let's say she has to pay the Italian government for the tax there, then she would claim an exemption
amount that would literally lower her taxable income on our F.1040 to zero.
She should get advise from a tax professional as soon as possible or talk to her employer, who
probably understands the tax laws between Italy and the USA. They hired her, they probably
hire many Americans.
I wouldn't be so sure if Italian tax consultants know the US tax code! Where I live, in DK, the advice i received initially that I was bound to follow the double taxation agreement between the US and Denmark was wrong. I only needed to follow it, if after using danish tax credits to offset my danish tax on my world-wide income, I was still being double-taxed. I was not.

Denmark and the US both tax danish permanent residents on their world-wide income. But I still have no need to use the tax treaty to reduce my US tax by taking danish tax credits against my income in all the various categories.

My suggestion is, that if your income tax situation is complicated, to find a good US ex-pat tax consultant who has clients in your country and not rely on local consultants.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:01 AM

1,145 posts, read 3,001,404 times
Step 1
You pay Italian taxes on the Italian income.

Step 2
Two methods

Method 1 (credit):
You calculate the taxes on all income for the U.S. tax return.
Then after you have that large figure, you subtract the Italian tax paid.
In this case, you only subtract the whole Italian tax paid if it is lower than what you would have paid if the income were in the U.S. Thus, for this case, you end up paying net-net, the tax of whichever country has the higher rate.

Method 2 (exclusion)
You take off the lower of Italian wages or $97,600 (2013 figure) from gross income, then calculate taxes on that income.

Take whichever method is more favorable to you. Higher earners will find Method 1 better.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,953 times
QUESTION: I was invited to serve as a consultant for a not-for-profit organization in Italy. I am a US citizen. Would the payment that I receive be taxed by the Italian government? In other words, would a percent of my consulting earnings have to go to Italy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics