Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 12:17 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times

Advertisements

There seems to be more and more of it as time goes on. It's seriously amazing to see how things changed so fast.

I work for the Government and regularly dealt with "do you know who I am?" folks... you know the type, the "supersize my life" McMansion and chromed Hummer crowd that has virtually disappeared in the last three years. No one has used that line with me since 2008; seriously.
These days, if you are wealthy you are scorned and shamed and demonized and joked about like never before in this country. It's as if everyone with a positive bank account suddenly became a ridicule-worthy clown like this:

I don't consider myself to be rich, but I come from a family that is. Their crowd seems to have switched their Mercedes and Cadillacs for Toyotas and Chevys, their vacations are now to Colorado or California instead of Europe or Bali, even though they really aren't any poorer than they were back in the glory days of conspicuous consumption. They seem to try very hard to not stand out anymore.

So am I just imagining this? Is being rich bad for your health these days? It's just amazing to me that we went from "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" to the French Revolution mentality in only a couple of years... and the trend seems to show no signs of slowing. Maybe it isn't a bad thing, but then again, maybe it is... whatdayathink?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 03:26 AM

505 posts, read 1,664,891 times
I don't think being rich is bad, and I don't believe anyone else believes that. The people who do hate the rich, hate the rich for a reason - they flaunt it and continue to devise more ways of stealing from the poor.

Who hates Bill Gates or Warren Buffett or Steve Jobs?

Who hates Wall Street bankers causing our financial crisis?

If you're rich and are constantly involved with the community, giving charity and creating jobs, it doesn't matter what you drive or wear. If you're a douche about it and saying stuff like "do you know who I am" to the waiter, he's gonna spit on your food whether you're rich or poor.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:49 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
I guess some rich people are cocky, but most are normal people. If you're rich and your drive a lambo, good for you, but there's nothing wrong with that. I do however think you're an ass going around saying stuff like "do you know who i am?" unless you're face has been printed on currency.

daddiesgirl, saying that the [legitimate] rich steal from the poor is a little harsh and very inaccurate. Also, the vast majority of Wall Street bankers were not responsible for causing the financial crisis.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:04 AM

505 posts, read 1,664,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
daddiesgirl, saying that the [legitimate] rich steal from the poor is a little harsh and very inaccurate. Also, the vast majority of Wall Street bankers were not responsible for causing the financial crisis.
I didn't say that was the truth. I'm saying that is the belief of people who do hate the rich (which is the current topic). The financial crisis, bail outs, the Bush tax cuts all add fuel to the fire to the belief that rich people are the cause and creation of problems with the middle class.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiesgirl View Post
I didn't say that was the truth. I'm saying that is the belief of people who do hate the rich (which is the current topic). The financial crisis, bail outs, the Bush tax cuts all add fuel to the fire to the belief that rich people are the cause and creation of problems with the middle class.
Fair enough... I didn't understand what you meant properly. Sorry.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:05 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
There seems to be more and more of it as time goes on. It's seriously amazing to see how things changed so fast.
Not all that fast if you have been watching the wide view of the game.

Quote:
I work for the Government and regularly dealt with "do you know who I am?" folks... you know the type, the "supersize my life" McMansion and chromed Hummer crowd that has virtually disappeared in the last three years. No one has used that line with me since 2008; seriously.
Yeah, the Do You Know Who I Am crowd is pretty much in shock from what we are seeing. In business, now, most start with some hopeful babbling about "When Things Pick Up, Again . . . "

I just listen politely and nod kindly -- about like a funeral director. And then ask, so if things Do Not pick up, what are the real long-term business plans? Some fade back into shock, shake their head and are just not ready to deal with the new conditions.

But some nod back and say, yes, let's make some other business plans.

We moved to Lilywhite on the crash. Came up out of the 'hood. The folks who are still making payments on the McMansions they can no longer afford are renting them cheap.

Wait till you see what is coming behind us. The McMansions will likely be chopped up from the inside out into 2/3/4 plex Section 8 housing.

Quote:
I don't consider myself to be rich, but I come from a family that is. Their crowd seems to have switched their Mercedes and Cadillacs for Toyotas and Chevys, their vacations are now to Colorado or California instead of Europe or Bali, even though they really aren't any poorer than they were back in the glory days of conspicuous consumption. They seem to try very hard to not stand out anymore.
Camouflage is a smart idea. Blend in.

And keep in mind -- When:

They are knocking on the door looking for Jews -- Do Not Be a Jew.

The Cavalry is coming over the hill -- Do not be an "Indian."

They are rounding up the "intellectuals" for the Killing Fields -- Do Not be wearing glasses.

So when they come looking to "Kill the Reech!" Do Not be looking rich.

Quote:

So am I just imagining this?
No. Not at all. Rather perceptive of you.

In the hinderland, real world folks are sharping up the pitchfolks and getting the torches ready for a march on the castle.

Quote:
Is being rich bad for your health these days? It's just amazing to me that we went from "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" to the French Revolution mentality in only a couple of years... and the trend seems to show no signs of slowing.
Yeah, that lifestyle thang was going down, when it became "Pimp My Crib" on MTV. That is what I am talking about watching the larger trends.

I figure we can look for a bottoming out about the time we see Bankster and Wall Street folks (and the .gov types who backed them) hanging from lamp-posts all along Wall Street and the Washington Mall.

Probably will end with digging up Reagan and re-burying him face down so we can all line up to kick his ass.

Quote:
Maybe it isn't a bad thing, but then again, maybe it is... whatdayathink?
Sounds like the beginning of a beautiful thing.

I am thinking it might be a good time to be investing in Rope Futures?

Old 09-03-2011, 08:08 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Categories:

1. Not rich, just looked it.

2. Rich and spent it

3. Rich and lived cheaper.

"Market adjustment"
1. Can't afford to look it

2. Spent it... Can't afford to be spending it.

3. Still rich, still spending it wisely.

Result: What you noted.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:17 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,428,020 times
Let's see...in a nation where the 400 richest people have as much wealth as the bottom 50% of the population... Yeah, what possible reason could people have for hating the wealthy?

Old 09-03-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Let's see...in a nation where the 400 richest people have as much wealth as the bottom 50% of the population... Yeah, what possible reason could people have for hating the wealthy?
Exactly. They realize they're on the bottom half.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:26 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,428,020 times
That's not half you idiot. That's 400 people. If you wanna talk statistics, then we are all at the bottom. The top 1% now have more money than the bottom 95 percent combined. They have doubled their shares in the last 40 years, and have made out like bandits in the last several off taxpayer bailouts.

Shifting Fortunes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics