Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 01:52 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,230,482 times

Advertisements

I've only recently started earning enough money to save a bit every month, but pay is not that high at all. I have little credit, about two months worth of savings. I took a job out of college to get industry experience to go to grad school next year, but all the doom certain people are talking about make me worried. I must say that if the economy crashes, the business I work for will fail. My family is not in the most stable position either, both of them work in the tourism industry, and they have significant debt and little saving.

I do rent a property that allows me to have a garden, but all it is suitable for is some herbs and tomatoes, but not a self-sustaining homestead. Furthermore, I lack a car. I did have a few thousand dollars saved up, but I did need new hearing aids and those are slightly expensive.

As for my skills, I am a mathematician that also took some classes in the sciences, but I have no experience in trades except for lawn service.

Don't tell me I should have done things differently, but tell me what do from here should the economy crash when the default happens. Naturally, I would rely on my folks, but I am not exactly a welcome character for a certain family member there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 01:54 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,129,810 times
Keep your cost of living low for a few years.

Don't buy the latest smart phone, don't go into debt etc.

After a few years of 'denying yourself' you will be enough ahead to live like other people do, (Or better) but without the debt they have.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Keep your cost of living low for a few years.

Don't buy the latest smart phone, don't go into debt etc.

After a few years of 'denying yourself' you will be enough ahead to live like other people do, (Or better) but without the debt they have.
But that assumes I have a few years. Some people claim that economic crisis is immediate.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:56 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
But that assumes I have a few years. Some people claim that economic crisis is immediate.
In that case bend over and put your head between your legs and kiss it goodbye and reslize you had bad timing. The 17 the is less than two weeks from now

Old 10-05-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
In that case bend over and put your head between your legs and kiss it goodbye and reslize you had bad timing. The 17 the is less than two weeks from now
That answer isn't really good enough for me. I'm not really experienced in these sort of things, though.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
That answer isn't really good enough for me. I'm not really experienced in these sort of things, though.
Based on your scenario and timing it could be a reality. You only have a little over a week to prepare and if it is economic collapse with your variables .......... On the other hand you could talk to different people and find an alternative life view.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:13 PM

9,366 posts, read 14,316,531 times
Quote:

As for my skills, I am a mathematician that also took some classes in the sciences, but I have no experience in trades except for lawn service.

but tell me what do from here should the economy crash when the default happens. Naturally, I would rely on my folks ...
What does "crash" mean?

Very, very precisely, in real practical terms, what does "crash" mean?

If the economy "crashes", how would relying on your parents help? Wouldn't they be involved in the same crash?

Perhaps by "crash" you mean that you would lose your job.

The US will not default, it is just political theater. Nor do I think that some kind of catastrophic crash, involving the whole economy whereby there is a widespread shortage of fuel and food, is a high probability.

So stop worrying about that.

It seems more likely that you fear losing your job over the next month or two.

Over a longer-term perspective (two-three years?), mathematics is a good basis, perhaps consider combining it with actuarial studies and seek a career with a large insurance company or some other branch of mathematics applicable to finance with a large bank. Just a suggestion.

Of course there are applications to industry. But you do not specify what industry you now have some experience in.

At any rate, generally speaking, the key is to master two, at most three, marketable skills and apply them to a specific industry; in my case it was a combination of economics/finance/business and languages, applicable mainly to the banking/investment industry. Nowadays just one skill doesn't cut it.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Old 10-05-2013, 04:26 PM

The above is a good alternative life view for the OP to consider.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:28 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
What does a youngster prepare for hard economic times?
Skills. Develop at least two very different types of practical skills.
Add an academic oriented skill as well.
Repeat about every 5 years.

Otherwise? stop listening to the nutjobs.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:44 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,660 times
Default Jobs are out there

With a math degree. if that's what you have you have a leg up in teaching I am guessing. Private schools will take you without a state teaching certificate. You prob. will have to relocate tho'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics