Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:52 PM

8,280 posts, read 8,684,867 times

Advertisements

Class is net worth more than income. Educational level also counts. Neighborhood too. Lifestyle as in ease not toys also counts.

If you already have everything you want, retired, and only have to take $50,000 a year out of your 82 million portfolio you are still upper class.

If you are a doctor, architect, or lawyer you are probably upper middle.

If you are paid by the hour you are working class.

If you are a teacher probably lower middle.

If you work fast food you are most likely lower class.

If you are middle class you pay for your children's college education. You don't lose your home if you are out of work for 4 or 5 years.

If you ever went to a cash advance place you are lower class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 09:00 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,031,381 times
It's easy, if you were fired today would you be ok for at least two or three months? If not you're working class/poor. A lot of people including my working class sister in law doesn't think she's working class because she has a little money left over after she pays her bills and has little less than a months worth of survival money in savings. She thinks that's not living paycheck to paycheck! She rents a house, still not working class on her eyes.

Meanwhile right wingers use the "I-phones in the ghetto" argument to explain poverty away in the States.

As Steinbeck said, American don't see themselves as workers but temporarily embarrassed millionaires.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:08 PM

8,280 posts, read 8,684,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
It's easy, if you were fired today would you be ok for at least two or three months? If not you're working class/poor. A lot of people including my working class sister in law doesn't think she's working class because she has a little money left over after she pays her bills and has little less than a months worth of survival money in savings. She thinks that's not living paycheck to paycheck! She rents a house, still not working class on her eyes.

Meanwhile right wingers use the "I-phones in the ghetto" argument to explain poverty away in the States.

As Steinbeck said, American don't see themselves as workers but temporarily embarrassed millionaires.
2 or 3 months is checking account money. What about savings and investments? If you are truly middle class you can go for several years without working.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
2 or 3 months is checking account money. What about savings and investments? If you are truly middle class you can go for several years without working.
That's what I am saying. True middle class and upper middle class people have ample savings and investments and can manage without work for several years. My father in law was extremely hurt during the real estate crash. He was in construction and now rarely bids but two jobs every six months or so if he's lucky. He still has plenty of money. Why? Because he was a small business man with plenty investments.

My sister in law rents a home in a middle class neighborhood and has a fairly nice truck. But she works and 11 dollar an hour job and her husband a 15 dollar an hour job. They live well, but with three kids and the bills, that doesn't leave them much. They still think they're middle class though. They live paycheck to paycheck but don't think so because they have some money little leftover to play with after bills. Their impression of living paycheck to paycheck means having hardly anything after bills. Just living to work/subsist.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:50 PM

872 posts, read 1,264,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Lazio View Post
I don't judge classes of standing by dollars. Here's a much, MUCH easier way to divide the classes.

At work:
If your name is on your shirt- low class
If your name is on your desk- middle class
If your name is on the building- high class
Never heard that before. Definitely does the trick, haha.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:55 PM

341 posts, read 675,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
Never heard that before. Definitely does the trick, haha.
Lol, it's seriously the only broad brush solution to the dumb question. It more often than not, rings very true.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:37 PM

Absolutely. The real indicator of class is found in the workplace.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,785,760 times
To me middle class includes everyone who has to work for a living. Your paycheck can be big or it can be little but you need.

In the USA, the poor get welfare handouts and live very well but they don't earn their money, the rich can live off their investments or inheritance. The rest of us have to work and have income.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:27 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,834,786 times
I think "working class" is an obsolete expression because it implies that wealthy people don't work.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:43 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,785,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I think "working class" is an obsolete expression because it implies that wealthy people don't work.
Yes, some of those who work the longest and most stressful hours are high income but they also need a paycheck as much as the little guy. That term "working class" implies that only lower wage types need their incomes, that the others are all independently wealthy and could lose their jobs and be fine.

Middle class just means you must work for your living, if you want something it comes from having a job.

The independently wealthy might even choose to have a job but their lifestyle doesn't depend on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics