Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 02:55 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,984 times

Advertisements

The inspiration for this thread started because I was curious on how Mitt Romney became so wealthy, so I looked it up and ran across this video on how private equities work (Bain Capital). From what I understand, a lot of his income is "investment income" and it came from capital gains. Since he had a lot of investment income, he could use the corporate tax write-offs, which is why he paid 14%. Compared to people like my parents who made $115k, and paid 22%.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, is this how the 1% became so rich?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 03:09 PM

582 posts, read 779,134 times
I strongly doubt that your parent paid 22%, unless they had really poor tax advise. The method used to show Mitt Romney paying only 14% took his taxes and divided them by his entire income. Assuming that your parents only took the standard deduction (no house, no kids, no retirement savings, no education savings or student loans, no charity gifts) they would have paid around $17,500 in taxes or 15%. Mitt Romney also gave a HUGE amount to charity, that is what dropped his rate down to 14% not some special tax write-offs. He used the exact same write-off that you, me and your parents can use.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:17 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
I strongly doubt that your parent paid 22%, unless they had really poor tax advise. The method used to show Mitt Romney paying only 14% took his taxes and divided them by his entire income. Assuming that your parents only took the standard deduction (no house, no kids, no retirement savings, no education savings or student loans, no charity gifts) they would have paid around $17,500 in taxes or 15%. Mitt Romney also gave a HUGE amount to charity, that is what dropped his rate down to 14% not some special tax write-offs. He used the exact same write-off that you, me and your parents can use.
I pay way more than 15%, and so did my parents. My husband and I right now are in the worst tax bracket - enough to pay a lot of tax, too much for a lot of deductions (like student loans).

Old 02-16-2014, 03:40 PM

24,404 posts, read 26,951,108 times
People who became wealthy worked hard and were smarter than the average person. However, a lot of the wealthy people today inherited their wealth and now continue to maintain their wealth through investments. Tax has very little to do with it in my opinion.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:53 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
Lies you tell... There's no way! That doesn't make sense.

You're saying by donating "huge" amounts to charities, he was able to lower his tax portion by 21%?

ETA: Tax brackets for his income would be 35%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
People who became wealthy worked hard and were smarter than the average person. However, a lot of the wealthy people today inherited their wealth and now continue to maintain their wealth through investments. Tax has very little to do with it in my opinion.
Well, I beg to differ. If he's taking home money from investments from his corporation, he can use corporate tax write-offs. The less you pay in taxes, the more money you have in your wallet. When the supervisor at my old job doesn't use the whole budget, he gets to take the rest home as a bonus, despite the fact that the place looks like sh*t and is in dire need of repairs.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post

The inspiration for this thread started because I was curious on how Mitt Romney became so wealthy, so I looked it up and ran across this video on how private equities work (Bain Capital). From what I understand, a lot of his income is "investment income" and it came from capital gains. Since he had a lot of investment income, he could use the corporate tax write-offs, which is why he paid 14%. Compared to people like my parents who made $115k, and paid 22%.

Just like Oprah --- they get rich from investments. Oprah is exceedingly rich.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:12 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
You can be in the right place at the right time like Oprah. It's a grab bag of intelligence, hard work, right skills for the times, opportunities, living in the right place, inheriting money--there is no one answer.

You can have really smart people who work hard at low paying jobs.

Most people I know who are very rich either inherited it and then turned it into profitable investments OR they were middle class and were driven to become a millionaire. The ones I know who were driven, were also kind of mean and were obsessed with wealth. That's the sacrifice they made.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:16 PM

373 posts, read 589,468 times
The ones I know? Smarter then the average person and goal oriented. Stuck to it and got there as a result. Some sweat, delayed gratiification, non-gamblers.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:30 PM

140 posts, read 218,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You can be in the right place at the right time like Oprah. It's a grab bag of intelligence, hard work, right skills for the times, opportunities, living in the right place, inheriting money--there is no one answer.

You can have really smart people who work hard at low paying jobs.

Most people I know who are very rich either inherited it and then turned it into profitable investments OR they were middle class and were driven to become a millionaire. The ones I know who were driven, were also kind of mean and were obsessed with wealth. That's the sacrifice they made.
There were studies that show that the majority of wealth in America today is self-made. Every crisis brings opportunities. It's always a matter of finding and creating these opportunities. Rich people come with all backgrounds. But what most of them share is not just "smartness," but street-smartness, business smartness, risk tolerance, and focus. Successful people have excellent skills in communication, leadership, time management, and work-life balance. They work hard and play hard. They see complex things in simple terms. They let go what doesn't matter and concentrate on what does. They are not satisfied with the status quo, and not willing to simply follow scripts by other middle level people.

The thing is most people who complain about CEOs, if given the opportunity, simply cannot do a CEO's job. Period.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:39 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post

The 1% became the 1% by not trying to figure out why others have more than they do.

Now, go look up how Al Gore became wealthy, how the Clintons became wealthy and come on back and report your conclusions.

How did Bill Gates become wealthy? Obviously your post was designed to elicit a political agenda discussion because who would pick Romney as a model to use as their standard of understanding when so many other models exist?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics