Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2014, 01:44 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
You aren't aware of income replacement insurance? Disability insurance? "Good" credit insurance?

There are plenty of good insurance products available. Buying bad insurance would be a bad decision.

I'm aware of it, but couldn't afford it on a minimum wage income. Like Obamacare, what good is it if you can't afford it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 10:14 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
PLEASE describe these "other options'. There is only one other adult with whom I want to share a room. Sheesh. COUPLES share rooms, in this country, singles don't after they leave the dorm.

Besides, my schedule is incompatible with most people's, I get up at 4am.

I have never evaded taxes, and that is how I got into a tax lien and credit mess on a piddling $10K income. But from that experience I have become open to creative accounting and would like to hire Driller's accountant if I ever make any meaningful income.
I think Malloric made the point well. You seem to not want to consider that. Of course, I do not subscribe to the notion of thought crime, and you have every right to have whatever opinion you want.

At the same time, wanting something in the absence of action will not get you closer to achieving it, regardless of whether you can act under any given set of conditions or not.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:02 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,692,335 times
Min wage here I believe is 8.20 an hour. Though to me a decent hourly wage would be $11-15 an hour. My husband just got a job making roughly $13 an hour which is liveable to us. Course this depends on location greatly and size of household/expenses. I made $10 an hour starting out in banking. Theres no way a family can easily survive just on min wage, though most who are mid 20s and older I would think target jobs that pay above that unless jobs are scarce in the area. Whenever I look for jobs, I always look to see if rasies are given to work up to a higher wage.

I also agree it would be great if kids were unable to drop out of high school, which makes it much harder to get a good paying job (though factories typically hire without GED)

Old 04-03-2015, 01:48 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The are only two ways that the market can justify paying more:
1) production ... your skill/ability are earning enough to cover the higher rate
2) competition ... absent 5 warm bodies standing around ready to jump in and do the same job
at least as well with one afternoon of training the first persons rate will be higher.

The first condition has always been and has always been easily understood.
The second condition, that over-abundance of people, is a current phenomenon.

Stopping that over-abundance from being the "norm" (let alone to grow) is critical.
Dealing with this statistical hiccup until then is a social welfare issue not a business responsibility.
Where does deflation in the minimum wage fit into this? The minimum wage is not tied to inflation, which lowers its purchasing power every year. Today, the federal minimum wage stands at $7.25 per hour. Had it simply kept pace with inflation since 1968, it would be about $10.70 per hour. A single minimum wage worker who has worked continually for the federal minimum wage since 1968 has been deprived of over a quarter million dollars in wages over the course of those 45 years.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:56 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
Where does deflation in the minimum wage fit into this?
It doesn't.
Quote:
Today, the federal minimum wage stands at $7.25 per hour.
Had it simply kept pace with inflation since 1968, it would be about $10.70 per hour.
So?

Those worth $10.70 today are (mostly) getting it regardless of MW laws.
If not on day one... then not too long after they demonstrate value.
Those who aren't worth more probably aren't worth the $7.25 they're lucky to get.

But all of that is a sideshow distracting you from the REAL problem: the WHY.
And that brings us back to the productivity & competition factors.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:08 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Minimum Wage is what the government (State or Federal) allows Any business owner must pay to any employee.

Liveable Wage is what is required for any full time employee to make in order to be able to survive in society.

Can you imagine IF Liveable Wage was mandatory? It would save multi-millions needed to Fund Programmes that assist those who live below poverty line even tho they do hold a job and many even multi jobs.

I remember in the old days..Minimum wage jobs were mainly populated by teenagers or young adults just starting out. Those days are long gone..Most of those jobs are now populated by aging adults who have been squeezed out of the job market to benefit Corporate bottomline and their Profit margins. The historical facts of those minimum wage job pay scale never kept up with inflation let alone enable any grown adult to live with dignity with that pay scale. Young people back in the day did not require $ to put roof over head, feed a family, or pay bills to operate a home ( heat/hydro,insurance, clothing and so on). Today, completely different story

Old 04-03-2015, 02:40 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Minimum Wage is what the government (State or Federal) allows Any business owner must pay to any employee.
That are a bunch of exemptions to that 'Any business owner must pay to any employee' part.

Quote:
... Most of those jobs are now populated by aging adults who have been squeezed out of the job market to benefit Corporate bottomline and their Profit margins. The historical facts of those minimum wage job pay scale never kept up with inflation let alone enable any grown adult to live with dignity with that pay scale. Young people back in the day did not require $ to put roof over head, feed a family, or pay bills to operate a home ( heat/hydro,insurance, clothing and so on). Today, completely different story
Today many of us pensioners earn a lot less than Minimum-Wage.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:22 PM

1,967 posts, read 1,308,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
Min wage here I believe is 8.20 an hour. Though to me a decent hourly wage would be $11-15 an hour. My husband just got a job making roughly $13 an hour which is liveable to us. Course this depends on location greatly and size of household/expenses. ...
IceModeled, the dollar’s purchasing power is a variable that’s generally decreasing. Politicians have been placating their campaign contributors by failing to retain the purchasing power of the federal minimum wage rate.

I’m among the proponents for pegging the FMW rate to the U.S. cost-price index number. This method that’s currently applied to U.S. social security retirement works very well. The CP index is not determined by Congressional politicians; it is determined by non-partisan statisticians.

Respectfully, Supposn

Old 04-03-2015, 03:30 PM

1,967 posts, read 1,308,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post

I also agree it would be great if kids were unable to drop out of high school, which makes it much harder to get a good paying job (though factories typically hire without GED)
IceModeled, newer provisions were introduced within our FMW regulations that permit lesser starting wage rates for young employees. I was and remain opposed to such efforts. I believe that in time they will be used as a tool to undermine the effectiveness of our FMW regulations.
Regardless of my opinion, thus far those new provisions within FMW laws have not perceivably increased jobs or decreased unemployment for workers first entering our job markets.

I've always believed that professed motive of many opposed to the FMW laws was a lie. Their actually true motive is to continue undermining wage rates of all employees and thus increasing employers' rates of profits.
They deny the proportional effect of the FMW rate to job's rates that is inversely related to the differences between the two rates. Lesser rate earners benefit proportionally more and higher wage earners benefit proportionally less.

The FMW rate is not detrimental to any wage earners; it is of net benefit to aggregate wage and salary earners and to our entire economy.

Respectfully, Supposn

Old 04-04-2015, 06:49 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Those worth $10.70 today are (mostly) getting it regardless of MW laws.
They are getting $10.70 because their employers need to pay $3.45 more than MW in order to hire and retain someone at their skill level. If the MW rose to $10, they'd get a hefty raise as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics