Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 02:07 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,926,564 times

Advertisements

Economics draws a distinction between the intent or stated purpose of a law and its actual effect. It is certainly possible that a law (say, the minimum wage law) was intended to raise living standards but actually lowers them. I am not saying that is the case but it certainly could be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 03:34 AM

1,967 posts, read 1,310,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
Bit of playing Devil's advocate here, but what if raising the minimum wage won't improve the well being of the majority of workers?

Making up numbers, but if 500 people make 50% more, but 600 lose their jobs because of it, isn't that counter to the law?

My point is, you can't necessarily just look at the wording of the law as justification for perpetual increases. Additionally, you do need to account for whether the accompanying inflation really improves the "well being" of the workers who's wages were just increased. If it's a net nothing, then you didn't help them at all.
Jeo123, first let us specify what is meant by increasing the minimum wage. If the proportional decrease of the U.S. dollar’s purchasing power is greater than the proportional increase of the federal minimum wage rate’s proportional increase of purchasing power, the increased FMW rate’s finite amount has failed to retain the rate’s entire purchasing power since the prior adjustment of the FMW rate.

I.E. U.S. congresses’ passed increase of the FMW monetary rate is not likely to be exactly proportionally equal to the proportional decrease of the U.S. dollar’s purchasing power. I do not consider a FMW rate that that has failed to retain its purchasing power as having been an increased rate.

Increased labor costs, as do any cause of increased spending is to some extent inflationary.

It is extremely unlikely that any increase of USA’s prices that’s attributable to an increase of the FMW would not proportionally be significantly less that the proportional increase of the FMW rate.

Only if the increased prices of all goods sold in the USA were entirely attributable to the increased cost of labor, and additionally that labor was entirely that of the lesser rates, (i.e. the working poor), could the aggregate proportional price increases of those goods then APPROACH the proportional increase of the FMW rate.
Only if the increased prices of those same goods were entirely attributable ONLY to minimum wage labor, could the aggregate proportional price increases of those goods equal the proportional increase of the FMW rate.
That’s due to the minimum rate not proportionally affecting all wage rate equally. The minimum wage rate’s proportional relationship upon any wage scale is inverse to the difference between the FMW’s and the job’s pay rate. I.E. those lower wage jobs are proportionally more affected and those greater wage jobs are proportionally less affected by the FMW rate.

The FMW rate has never and should never be suddenly and radically increased; (i.e. it has never been permitted to “shock” the market for labor. I’m unaware of any nation’s economy ever having experienced such an economic shock or having suffered such a consequence.

Every increase of the FMW rate has been of net benefit to USA’s Economy. An economically detrimental loss of USA jobs due to an increase of the FMW rate has never occurred.

There are many employers who now believe that many of their lowest paid employees are overcompensated but they do not eliminate those jobs. If those employers were to eliminate their janitorial staff, what do they do about their toilets?
Their store managers could conceivably earn extra money by doing the task before the sales clerks arrive but they may soon have difficulty remaining or hiring better qualified store manages. Their store managers would have similar difficulties if they had similar expectations from their sales clerks.
Those employers do not eliminate those jobs because it would be net financially costly to their enterprises.

It’s conceivable that someone to invent a machine to mop toilets and replace what has become overly expensive janitors. USA’s experience has been that (unlike our global trade deficit which reduces jobs and is a net detriment to our economy, automation to replace more expensive labor has always been of net national benefit.

You refer to jobs eliminated if we were to retain or even increase the FMW’s purchasing power; you made not mention our increased rate of poverty due to the U.S. Congress’s failures to retain the FMW rate’s purchasing power. The detriment to our nation's social well being due to increased poverty among our working poor families have economic consequences that far outweigh FMW’s effect upon our rate of unemployment. Failure to retain the FMW rate’s purchasing power is net detrimental to our economy.

Respectfully, Supposn

Old 04-29-2014, 10:55 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,387,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post

I’m among the proponents for annually pegging the federal minimum wage rate to the cost-price index. This method successfully enables our Social Security retirement benefits to retain their purchasing powers.

Respectfully, Supposn
I have some other ways of measuring inflation.

peg the minimum wage to the top as a fraction.

Peg it to the monetary base. Do a 4X on the monetary base and do a 4X on the minimum wage.

peg it to the ratio of median house price to median household income.

peg the minimum wage to the total debt as % of full employment GDP.

Forget the consumer price index it isn't keeping up with reality.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:33 PM

1,967 posts, read 1,310,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
I have some other ways of measuring inflation.

peg the minimum wage to the top as a fraction.

Peg it to the monetary base. Do a 4X on the monetary base and do a 4X on the minimum wage.

peg it to the ratio of median house price to median household income.

peg the minimum wage to the total debt as % of full employment GDP.

Forget the consumer price index it isn't keeping up with reality.
Contrarian Econ, can you explain what is and how do we determine the “top as a fraction” and the “monetary base”? How can we calculate what would be USA’s GDP if we had full employment?

Respectfully, Supposn

Old 04-29-2014, 12:54 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,364,775 times
I think we should pay everyone $80 an hour. In my area with $80 an hour the average family can live a middle class lifestyle. They can own a home, drive a modest newer car, maybe have an occasional vacation, go out to eat. Yup I am thinking that everyone in my part of the nation should be paid $80 an hour.

What do you all think?

Old 04-29-2014, 04:18 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,523,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Economics draws a distinction between the intent or stated purpose of a law and its actual effect. It is certainly possible that a law (say, the minimum wage law) was intended to raise living standards but actually lowers them. I am not saying that is the case but it certainly could be.
Not just economics--reality makes that distinction as well

Old 04-29-2014, 11:19 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,926,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Not just economics--reality makes that distinction as well
Economics is one way of organizing one's observations about reality. So are physics, biology, etc.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:21 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Internet, cell, and car are now necessities?

Old 04-30-2014, 12:16 AM

21,870 posts, read 25,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Internet, cell, and car are now necessities?
For most people.

Internet is required for my job, as is a cell phone, as is a car. Now, if I was just unemployed and/or working at a fast food joint, maybe they wouldn't be. They're a necessity for my livelihood which for practical purposes makes them a necessity as my livelihood is how I pay for your more basic necessities of survival.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:22 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
For most people.

Internet is required for my job, as is a cell phone, as is a car. Now, if I was just unemployed and/or working at a fast food joint, maybe they wouldn't be. They're a necessity for my livelihood which for practical purposes makes them a necessity as my livelihood is how I pay for your more basic necessities of survival.
Then they are all tax deductible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics