Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 08:03 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,066,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc1 View Post
1. Anyway, I think I am paying too much... What do you guys think?
2. Is there anything I can do to improve this?
3. Will I get a lot of them back on Tax Refunds?
4. Any tips/suggestions? Thanks a lot.
1. No, that's about what I paid as a single person. I always assume I only take home about 60% of my gross income.

2. You can be born ultra-rich and get all your money from investment income you don't/didn't work for. Then you will only pay 15%, but probably a lot less since you will have access to tax shelters, offshore accounts, and the like.

3. You'll probably get back about a grand.

4. Donate to charity and deduct that. Max out your 401K if you have one. Buy a bunch of capital goods (fancy cars, business equipment, etc.) and take advantage of all the loopholes. Buy a house and deduct the mortgage interest.

4(for real): No. The tax code is written to benefit the wealthy and those with disposable income to buy expensive toys, and only half-screw the poor. If you're in the middle buying day-to-day household essentials you get shat on and also told you are a mooch by the rich, because they pay "9X%" of the taxes but apparently begrudge every penny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 08:24 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Buy a house. Seriously, the deduction is pretty good. And its generally cheaper then renting after a couple years.

I pay more in taxes, but make 50% more. Once you get over 100K you can start investing more and having a lower rate since the capital gains rate is so low. Basically you arent rich enough to earn money by not working, and getting cheap taxes, and you're not poor enough to get a lower rate. Welcome to the shrinking middle class. Try and get over the hump via investments.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:24 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,407,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Not really. When my spouse and I were both working we added up all taxes so besides income/employment tax we calculated property taxes, sales taxes, various excise taxes, etc. Even though we were clearly middle class we paid well over 50% of our earnings in taxes.
You are either lying or you have the worst accountant on the planet.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:48 PM

58 posts, read 141,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
You're young and have gotten your feet wet in owning a business. If you want longterm tax advantages and have the right temperament, I'd suggest you explore the possibility of growing your business - especially in our current/future job market. (You may get a few posts now about how many businesses fail...). Why are you not making more profit at your sw co?
Grow my business how? Make it an LLC? Hire more people?

It's a pretty new company. I made a lot the first month but the market crashed or something, all of the companies in my niche, including competitors started doing bad.

Then I created a another Software as Service company, as soon as I released it. The market crashed. It was a Guest Blogging trading platform, where users were able to trade guest blog posts for more traffic and exposure. However, 3 days later, Google announced "Guest Blog Posting is dead". So that's why I got a job. I thought I would be working while I think of my next business idea.

Back to the question, would I be able to get tax advantage if it's a MICRO-ISV (1 person) company? or do I need to grow it?

Old 03-07-2014, 03:07 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Grow my business how? Make it an LLC? Hire more people?

It's a pretty new company. I made a lot the first month but the market crashed or something, all of the companies in my niche, including competitors started doing bad.

Then I created a another Software as Service company, as soon as I released it. The market crashed. It was a Guest Blogging trading platform, where users were able to trade guest blog posts for more traffic and exposure. However, 3 days later, Google announced "Guest Blog Posting is dead". So that's why I got a job. I thought I would be working while I think of my next business idea.

Back to the question, would I be able to get tax advantage if it's a MICRO-ISV (1 person) company? or do I need to grow it?
John....my business will never make any profit. (just be able to show an attempt)

That is how you write off your costs to get back the money from your job.

You need a great CPA and don't say you can not afford it......that too is a write-off.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:27 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,381,051 times
Quote:
Grow my business how?
Of course I can't answer this question for you.

I brought up growing your business as a long-term strategy if you want to keep your taxes down. There is no "check list" for this - learning comes from trying and sometimes failing, which you are doing. It sounds like you have the entrepreneurial spirit so I would keep at it, keep learning what works while you keep your day job.

Business ownership and real estate investment are major channels for reducing taxes. Being an employee - not so much.

In the short-term, as Driller1 mentioned, you need to show you are attempting to make a profit and talk to a CPA.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:50 AM

58 posts, read 141,199 times
Alright cool, i'll be sure to do so. When would you recommend I do this? Before the next tax season or as soon as possible?

Old 03-07-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
alright cool, i'll be sure to do so. When would you recommend i do this? Before the next tax season or as soon as possible?
asap.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:13 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
You better find some woman to marry you,or have some lady pop out a couple of kids for you,otherwise,well,you get the idea.

I think its never,ever a good idea to adjust the w4 by adding an exemption.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
You better find some woman to marry you,or have some lady pop out a couple of kids for you,otherwise,well,you get the idea.

I think its never,ever a good idea to adjust the w4 by adding an exemption.
What he needs is to manage his business in a way to get back all of his tax money but FICA.

He will always be stuck with FICA until he is totally self employed and still showing a loss on his 1040.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics