Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 12:38 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times

Advertisements

It is impossible to argue against less consumer spending is better for the economy when it entails a portion from the 1%. Even if the 1% would benefit from an increase in consumer spending the concept requires an understanding of a construct which is beyond some peoples intelligence level. Therefore, it is better to lower the difficulty of learning to a more simplistic level. Why do West and East economies out perform mid West and Southern states with greater overall contributions to the federal government? This is still difficult, but maybe a light or two may shine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 12:41 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Hard to believe McDonalds can still sell burgers at the same price yet give their employees a 40% +..............wage increase.

What happend from 97-09 when it went up 40% then? Did

Old 05-06-2014, 12:44 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitegocubs View Post
The point was supposed to be that everyone is worth AT LEAST $10.10. Hence, MINIMUM. Good to know you'd no longer think of going above and beyond and rewarding people above that...

Also, the inflationary impact of minimum wage increases is grossly overstated all over this forum. It would be "minimal" (ha. ha.). But seriously, minimum wage increases would only inflate the demand curve very slightly, thus providing those at the new minimum wage with a substantial, inflation-adjusted increase in spending power.
Precisely. All the people who claim that increasing the minimum wage would increase costs proportionally seem to forget that the wages paid to the minimum wage workers are not the only thing driving cost. Plenty of studies have been done that prove the inflationary effect is minimal, though that rarely matters since much of the resistance to minimum wage increases is based upon a mix of bad economic understanding or just wanting to stick it to the "lazy poor people" who work those jobs.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Precisely. All the people who claim that increasing the minimum wage would increase costs proportionally seem to forget that the wages paid to the minimum wage workers are not the only thing driving cost. Plenty of studies have been done that prove the inflationary effect is minimal, though that rarely matters since much of the resistance to minimum wage increases is based upon a mix of bad economic understanding or just wanting to stick it to the "lazy poor people" who work those jobs.

I believe labor cost are about a quarter of a MCD expenses and currently not all employees make min wage. A 40% increase in a quarter of your expenses(mind you the actual increase would be less than that) would at most impact your total expenses 10% overall

Old 05-06-2014, 01:04 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Mcdonalds make tons of money from business deals such as franchising, real estates, and investments. They can afford giving every worker free healthcare and still make a profit.

We're at a point where big business is so far ahead of worker wages in the past decade. It's gonna be a zero sums game at some point when everything cost so much and nobody can afford anything anymore.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:47 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
When was the last time you actually tipped a McD, Walmart, or grocery clerk worker? I've never tipped them and I don't know anybody that has.
When was the last time you received service at McD, Walmart, or the grocery store that was stellar enough to deserve a tip?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Mcdonalds make tons of money from business deals such as franchising, real estates, and investments. They can afford giving every worker free healthcare and still make a profit.

We're at a point where big business is so far ahead of worker wages in the past decade. It's gonna be a zero sums game at some point when everything cost so much and nobody can afford anything anymore.
As usual when someone starts bashing McDonald's, you are leaving out the fact that the majority of McDonald's restaurants are not owned by McDonald's. They are franchises, and the franchisee is responsible for things like healthcare and wages.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:09 PM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
There will be even fewer "tip jars" as more fast food places go automated. Panera Bread is pushing out new self-ordering kiosks over the next two years. Or you can order via your smart phone and just pick up your order.

You may be able to tip the person who gives you your order.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...soon-to-panera

Old 05-06-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
When was the last time you received service at McD, Walmart, or the grocery store that was stellar enough to deserve a tip?

As usual when someone starts bashing McDonald's, you are leaving out the fact that the majority of McDonald's restaurants are not owned by McDonald's. They are franchises, and the franchisee is responsible for things like healthcare and wages.

I think MCD only owns/operates around 15% of its stores

Old 05-06-2014, 02:15 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
When was the last time you actually tipped a McD, Walmart, or grocery clerk worker? I've never tipped them and I don't know anybody that has.
My son works at a supermarket and he's not allowed to take tips.

BTW he makes $7.90 an hour.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:00 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
I'm a 15% tipper, add 5% if service is great, deduct 5% if I run out of water, $10 for delivery, $5 for baggers, and two bucks for carry-out.

Honestly the people I tipped made great pay for the short amount of time I interacted with them.

But to heck with all that. From now on it's the amount of time that my service request took times 10.10.

I will do my best to get you your minimum wage, sure you would have done a lot better under the old system, but this is more fair, and it'll save me money so I can afford to pay more for all the other things that'll cost more when min wage eventually hits 10.10.

Oh, and I'll be sure to put that tip on my card so you have to claim it on your taxes, no more under reporting
id prefer the operator of the business determine the salaries and not put that responsibility on me. id like to drop all tipping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics