Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 04:07 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,662,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
He needs to move on.
where oh where are all these low wage employees gonna move on to?

To quote Office space: "No, you're working at Initech because that question is bullspit to begin with. If everyone listened to her, there'd be no janitors, because no one would clean sheep up if they had a million dollars."

You know what people with the Op's bf education and [lack] drive go to in order to make enough money to actually afford to live in Cal? They drive supply and logistics trucks in the armpits of this Country for oil/gas conglomerates, with the opportunity cost of never being home and otherwise living in craphole locales. But at least you take home 7-10K/mo for an otherwise high school or basket weaving college education.

the only thing that's gonna help the OP's bf is a developed willingness to leave CA for lower cost of living areas. That's it. Buddy here isn't willingly foregoing dental school because he was just merely averse to taking 100K in debt and thought to himself gee, 60 hours a week at 7 bucks a pop sure has a higher ROI. Come on now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 08:35 AM

795 posts, read 1,268,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strkst View Post
Yeah...I have tried convincing him to start a resume but he is too tired and isn't good with word processing. I will start on a resume for him now, and thank you I will repost this over there.
He is a manager of a store and does not know word processing? Not trying to be mean but he really needs to learn that and Microsoft Excel.

Sleeps on days off? He needs some fire! Or maybe he is really happy where he is and you want more.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:03 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post

To quote Office space: "No, you're working at Initech because that question is bullspit to begin with. If everyone listened to her, there'd be no janitors, because no one would clean sheep up if they had a million dollars."
That must be a quote from the TV edit.

But anyway, even in this economy it's worth looking for a better wage somewhere else. He's not being scammed but he's definitely being abused.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:45 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,281,411 times
I'd quit that job.

The people who say that manual labor jobs are supposed to pay peanuts, that you must educate yourself to get a better wage, I think that mentality is going to change, that the jobs nobody wants to do will end up paying more BECAUSE nobody wants to do them, and that South African miners bringing us the platinum we count on to make the global economy run deserve a higher wage because the work sucks.. it's hot and bad on the body.. workers deserve to earn what they demand to be paid, nothing more or nothing less. I'd argue that a miner should make MORE than some college educated professions, and jobs that are hard on the body with substandard working conditions tend to get ripped on by those 'haves' who have their education and make their money.

I root for the blue collar or service worker demanding a higher wage. More power to you! Disclaimer: I'm a blue collar worker making over $20 per hour.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:37 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,972,345 times
OP. your whole post described my career from years ago. Over work and under pay. Don't even have enough time to eat or sleep.. Let alone stay up to write a resume.

it's not a Scam, your fiancé agree to this job. When you have a manager title to your name and hold the key to the store, you are the first one at work and the last one to leave. It's retail hours. On salaried, it doesn't matter if you work 40 or 70hrs. You get pay the same. So naturally, they want you to work as many hours as you can. I bet that company has high turn over. It's just business for them.

You can help him by start writing his résumé. Let him make the correction. Sometime, it can be really hard to sit down to start from scratch.

Best bet, just leave that job. It's not that hard to find a another job. It's hard to find a job that you want.

Good luck

Old 05-27-2014, 08:37 PM

162 posts, read 228,790 times
Quote:
He needs to move on.
Agreed.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:06 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,306 times
I would disagree with the other posters that he isnt being scammed. I bet he didnt agree to work 60-72 hours per week for that pay.
I also would disagree that he doesnt show drive or initiative. The guy is probably half-dead from exhaustion!!
OP said he wasnt good with word processing. Didnt say he wasnt good with spreadsheets. There is a difference. That said, when do you people propose he should learn computer skills-while he is sleeping?
OP can get some books from the library, help him write a decent resume, and then run it past someone who deals with employment placement--for example someone from whatever the state job service is called in California.
OP also will probably need to help BF with cover letters.
I agree that the BF needs to be more open to move to somewhere where the cost of living is cheaper.

Good luck to the OP and the BF. You will get there!!

Old 05-27-2014, 09:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Quote:
He needs to move on.
Yep; when he gets two years management experience he needs to seek better employment. EVen with experience a higher position in management isn't going to be short hours or easier. The higher he goes the more responsible and productive he needs to be.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:14 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strkst View Post
Ok, so my fiance has been manager of a store for about a year and a half now.
He works 6 days a week, 10-12 hour days every day. One day off a week and one extra special day off a month.
A conservative guess at his hours is about 60 hours a week. This would be a slow week for him.
He is on salary and gets paid twice a month $850 dollars.
His boss told him that he took care of his wife and 2 children on that much money so my fiance should be able to do the same. We live in Orange County so for a crummy studio apartment it is about $1,000 a month let alone paying for car insurance, food, medical insurance, and utilities, gas, etc etc.
I have worked out the math and my fiance is making around $6.80 an hour, being the manager of a very popular but independent store. Their end of day totals are between 3-5 thousand dollars a day during the week. Weekends are much more.
I am not so good at math so I am sorry if my calculations are wrong....
But from what I have gathered, if he were to be at least paid minimum wage in California, he basically working a month for free every year.
The boss has fired people in the past because they wanted to spend time with their family. In fact he will not hire people if they have children or go to school or have a life at all.
He does not hire enough people to work at the store, so my fiance's work is always more and more and more. So, my fiance feels like he is incompetent and cannot possibly ask for a raise or more time off.
He makes about $24,000 a year after taxes.
In the area managers of smaller businesses seem to make around $35,000 a year working 40 hours a week.
I feel like he is being majorly exploited and it is sad because he is very very loyal, hard working, and knowledgable in his field.
Obviously financially this affects us.
But more so I am starting to feel like I am wasting my life waiting to be reunited with the love of my life. It is a torture because he is always dead tired after work, and on his days off he just wants to sleep. He is constantly feeling sick and anxious about work. Also it is clearly bad for his health as he has no time for exercise, for proper diet and he doesn't even have enough time to see a doctor if he needs to.
We are struggling with this and he is either depressed about work or I am crying because I am alone with out any help from my partner because he doesn't have time for me or we are both upset because life seems to be passing us by.
Any advice or help on this matter or what he could try to do would really help. Thank you.

Your bf is not being scammed. He was offered a job at x amount of pay and he chose to take it and still work at it. If he doesn't like it he can simply start looking for another job and give notice once he finds another job. ( which you said he is doing).
I have had offers to go to work for other companies but I didn't like the conditions, the interview or whatever so I didn't take the job. If I'm at a job I don't like I'll stay there till I find something else then I give notice and walk. A job is voluntary. He is not indentured.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:51 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,221 times
I don't think I've ever worked for such little money in the past except when I was a kid working at a clothing store. So he makes approximately $8/hr at that rate for a managerial position? F-THAT!

I also agree that it's a bit concerning that he holds a position in management but cannot compose a simple word document. Hell, why don't you make his resume for him, might save him some time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics