Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2014, 01:43 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,980,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
So?

First of all, you're a "taker" just like the people you whine about because your parents paid for your college.

Second, $35,000 will pay for ONE years of schooling at a typical college - what about the other 3? Oh, that's right - back to mommy and daddy or financial aid.

Third, are you still unable to understand how many people - poor people - do not have the opportunities you have had? Time to be honest with yourself - You were "BUYING and fixing cars" as a teenager. Do you honestly think the average dirt-poor person who's lucky to have enough money to feed themselves is going to be able to afford to BUY and fix cars in their free time? Of course not!

Look, kid, here are the facts - you had it good. Even if your parents didn't pay for your college, you were still in far better shape financially than any poor person and probably even some middle class people. To your credit, you took advantage of the situation and made some good money off of it. Good for you - but to pretend that "if I can do it, so can anyone!" is simply folly. Many people do NOT have the same opportunities as you, and to deny them a future because offering them financial aid might cost you a few bucks is cruel, selfish, and heartless.

You're too young to understand it now, but there will come a time when you're old and "useless" and nothing but an expense on society. Are you willing to be "put down" when that time comes? And it could come sooner than you think - all it takes is once accident or illness to bankrupt you and leave you a crippled shell for the rest of your days... Try not to be judgmental of those less fortunate than you lest you end up fully understanding their plight the hard way.
Couldn't agree more with this post (us Ramblers got to stick together).

OP is a taker big time. Not only does he accept tuition money from his parents, he gets food, a roof over his head and I bet his Mom gives him maid service too - doing his laundry, fixing meals, cleaning the house OP lives in, etc. OP is too cheap to go live on his own the way most 18 year-olds would. Right there is a sign of immaturity.

And it's very true that buying and fixing up cars is a hobby for someone who has money. Just the collection of mechanics tools that such work involves would cost a goodly amount of cash, never mind the cost of buying the cars. Gee, I wonder where the "start-up" money for this little enterprise came from? Could it be Mommy and Daddy?

OP lives in his own little fantasy world. He's so sheltered that he won't even leave home and find out what the big, bad world out there is REALLY all about. I looked it up and did the math and the Pell grant program costs the individual taxpayer $7.25. For the sake of $7.25, poor little rich boy would deny lower income folks a college education because they are "takers." Well, it takes one to know one, doesn't it OP? And the other Rambler was right on about "the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune." Every single one of us has no immunity to a disabling illness, severe economic down turns, natural disasters, the death of loved ones, etc. OP's superiority complex completely negates any feelings of compassion or empathy he might have for his fellow man. Bottom line, OP is a narcissist, and he's trying to come up with excuses for his misanthropic world outlook. What goes around, comes around OP. Your day will come, believe me. And IMO, it can't come soon enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 01:45 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,702,448 times
Bek unlike the rush Limbaugh crowd-- the poor block vote
The silent majority will soon become the disappearing majority unless they wake up

Old 06-12-2014, 10:56 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,846,713 times
wow, what a hateful thread. OP, a lot of people understand what you are saying, you are not alone. Just ignore the people who act as if being poor is a badge, their mentality, it won't change nor will their circumstances as they wait. Keep going, now start building your wealth. As you are building your wealth keep it to yourself.

Understand that people who say, "Money won't make you happy" are people without money. People who say, "All rich people are greedy"? are people who aren't rich. Wealthy people don't talk like that. Stay motivated and excited as you make your life better and better.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:59 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,263,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
wow, what a hateful thread. OP, a lot of people understand what you are saying, you are not alone. Just ignore the people who act as if being poor is a badge, their mentality, it won't change nor will their circumstances as they wait. Keep going, now start building your wealth. As you are building your wealth keep it to yourself.

Understand that people who say, "Money won't make you happy" are people without money. People who say, "All rich people are greedy"? are people who aren't rich.

Wealthy people don't talk like that. Stay motivated and excited as you make your life better and better.
The OP is talking about attending community college... she's not on a good path to generate wealth.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The OP is talking about attending community college... she's not on a good path to generate wealth.
There is not a thing wrong with going to community college. And just because op doesn't coddle the poor doesn't mean they are bad. OP is stating a fact.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
There is not a thing wrong with going to community college. And just because op doesn't coddle the poor doesn't mean they are bad. OP is stating a fact.
No, there's nothing wrong with going to a community college... unless you actually want a college level education. If you want to go into a trade, fine. But the OP intends on going to community college for 2 years then transferring to a 4 year college. Not only is that a horrible idea due to the lack of education at community college... but has a much larger negative financial impact than attending a good 4-year university directly. So if the goal is to build wealth, go to a good school where you'll get a real education and a scholarship/grants from the endowment.

The other major problem is that the OP intends on working during school to pay for school. This means that the OP either intends on sacrificing the quality of education they are able to obtain or they attend part time... which will drag out the time in school. Not a wise financial decision.

The OP would be much better off attending a college like UPenn, Duke, or Cooper Union where they will get a real education and little or no cost/debt due to private funding from the schools themselves.

There's no wealth-building in the OPs plan. More like a waste of time.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:43 PM

Tell that to someone who wasn't rich enough to be able to go away and wasn't poor enough to get help. So my choice was community college. I worked along side others who paid a lot of money to go to a 4 year school and was so deep in debt from it they were poor, same skills, same title, same money. Too bad for them. Sure you miss out on the party but that comes later. Oh well, it must be my experience.

Yea, too bad the op isn't poor enough to get their school paid for so they didn't have to work to pay for it.

And one should always wealth build, the earlier the better. I guess if you are broke from debt it's the last thing on your mind.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Tell that to someone who wasn't rich enough to be able to go away and wasn't poor enough to get help. So my choice was community college. I worked along side others who paid a lot of money to go to a 4 year school and was so deep in debt from it they were poor, same skills, same title, same money. Too bad for them. Sure you miss out on the party but that comes later. Oh well, it must be my experience.

Yea, too bad the op isn't poor enough to get their school paid for so they didn't have to work to pay for it.

And one should always wealth build, the earlier the better. I guess if you are broke from debt it's the last thing on your mind.
You're mistaken if you think you need to be poor to get scholarships and grants. We're not talking about need-based financial aid here. We're talking about merit-based funding that is awarded to competent students from decent universities with large endowments and private funding.

Like I said before, there's nothing wrong with going to community college. That level of education has its place for a certain level of students. But there's very little money-saving in it if you plan on getting a quality 4-year college education down the road.

I agree that everyone should build wealth early on if they can. But the OP doesn't have a plan to build wealth early on or later. The OP has a short-term outlook that will likely negatively impact her ability to build any kind of wealth in the long run.

If you really want to build wealth... do good in school, do good on the SATs, get into a good school that will throw money at you and graduate with a respectable education. Working hard early on pays off down the road.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:00 AM

15,139 posts, read 10,202,659 times
I haven't read through this thread but I don't see any hatred towards the wealthy or fortunate. People are reacting to the bad attitude of the OP towards those in less than ideal circumstances. It seems that helping and providing assistance has become part of the fault of the perceived hardships the OP is experiencing.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,936 posts, read 81,996,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You're mistaken if you think you need to be poor to get scholarships and grants. We're not talking about need-based financial aid here. We're talking about merit-based funding that is awarded to competent students from decent universities with large endowments and private funding.

Like I said before, there's nothing wrong with going to community college. That level of education has its place for a certain level of students. But there's very little money-saving in it if you plan on getting a quality 4-year college education down the road.

I agree that everyone should build wealth early on if they can. But the OP doesn't have a plan to build wealth early on or later. The OP has a short-term outlook that will likely negatively impact her ability to build any kind of wealth in the long run.

If you really want to build wealth... do good in school, do good on the SATs, get into a good school that will throw money at you and graduate with a respectable education. Working hard early on pays off down the road.
I agree completely, and would add that working (in any job) while in school, part-time, and full time in summers goes a long way toward both building work ethic and self discipline, some experience when applying for jobs after graduation. It also provides motivation to complete getting the education for a better job down the road so you are not stuck in the low wage track forever, and of course, additional money to help you get through the expenses of college. Too often the college "social experience" seems to take priority over building a sound future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics