Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 12:18 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,167,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I've taught at both, too. You'll get no argument from me that a CC beats out top schools. Where I differ from you is in the value of attending one. They have their value, and place. You are short changing them.
If you read this thread, you'll notice that I've said they have their place and are great for some things.
Quote:

I was contemplating teasing out your arguments and refuting them. Then you made an allegory to Hitler, and I realized the intellectual effort wasn't worth my time.
My apologies. I didn't mean to put stress on your intellectual capacity. My point with Hitler was simply that anyone involved in something will try to defend it.
Quote:
I will, however, suggest that perhaps you have not experienced a quality community college.
I've taught at a few (maybe they weren't the best in the nation?). However, I've assessed many many more for middlestates.
Quote:

Hitler. In a discussion about community colleges. Really?
Refer to my previous comment on this. I'll admit that it wasn't the most tasteful analogy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 06:54 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,120,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
btw, you are right, both dems and republicans are failures. That is exactly why I'll go with SMALLER government and lower taxes. Any "politician" that goes against that, "I don't care what party" is a politician I won't support.

Small government
I can agree with that... but the devil's in the details. How small?

Rather than small because in our language small typically means "weak". I would like a compact government for the people (corporations are not people). Although I think government now is too big and intrusive, I do believe the opposite is also very bad. Yeh.. we are a long way from that.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:38 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,412,245 times
Quote:
Oh do you mean that those small business owners "build that"? You are right, "building that" is hard work. No one is around while people are working hard to start and run a business but once they begin to profit people come out of the woodwork wanting a piece of it.

I'm not saying that an education isn't important. I am saying that life skills (learning how to handle finances) is just as important. That's the problem, people think once they graduate the learning is over. It's not. People think that if they could just make a little bit more, their problems are solved. It's not. If you don't know how to handle money you'll always struggle.

And by the way, no one is owed anything.
....once again.. the facts are what they are. Most millionaires are college educated. It is non debateable. Anecdotes < facts & data.

Quote:
Half of all millionaires are self-employed or own a business. Around 80% of millionaires are college graduates. Only 18% of millionaires have Master’s degrees. Eight percent have law degrees, 6% have medical degrees, and 6% have PhDs
Quote:
btw, you are right, both dems and republicans are failures. That is exactly why I'll go with SMALLER government and lower taxes. Any "politician" that goes against that, "I don't care what party" is a politician I won't support.

Small government
Small government is a catchy slogan. Articulate what constitutes a "small government."

Old 06-23-2014, 10:46 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,880,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If you read this thread, you'll notice that I've said they have their place and are great for some things.

My apologies. I didn't mean to put stress on your intellectual capacity. My point with Hitler was simply that anyone involved in something will try to defend it.

I've taught at a few (maybe they weren't the best in the nation?). However, I've assessed many many more for middlestates.

Refer to my previous comment on this. I'll admit that it wasn't the most tasteful analogy.
Hitler analogies always make for reasoned and sound arguments. Now you're making juvenile attempts at personal insults. Thanks for reinforcing my decision not to further engage in discussion.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,167,316 times
Quote:
Hitler analogies always make for reasoned and sound arguments. Now you're making juvenile attempts at personal insults. Thanks for reinforcing my decision not to further engage in discussion.
Where was the insult? I simply apologized and admitted the Hitler analogy was of bad taste.

Your post is actually proof that you have chosen to further engage in this conversation.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:03 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,880,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Where was the insult? I simply apologized and admitted the Hitler analogy was of bad taste.

Your post is actually proof that you have chosen to further engage in this conversation.

Since you don't perceive the insult (wink-wink) I will respond in kind. My apologies. I didn't mean to put stress on your intellectual capacity.

And, yes, I am aware of the irony of my responding twice now to you. It's like a car wreck. Can't. Look. Away.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:13 AM

112 posts, read 130,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace789;35141308My parents always told me that they will pay for my college tuition themselves, at the time when i was 16 i said no, but with reasoning i took my parents help because they wanted me to keep [B
the $35k i have saved[/b]. We aren't poor, but were not rich either.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! Actually, you *are*rich if you have $35K saved at 16. When I was your age my parents made $35K TOTAL in New York and I went hungry a lot. To be abe to save that much means you are very upper class and don't realize that not everyone is as lucky as you are. No one chooses what IQ to have or what social class to be born lol

Old 07-07-2014, 08:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,629 posts, read 81,316,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnotatrolldamnyou View Post
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! Actually, you *are*rich if you have $35K saved at 16. When I was your age my parents made $35K TOTAL in New York and I went hungry a lot. To be abe to save that much means you are very upper class and don't realize that not everyone is as lucky as you are. No one chooses what IQ to have or what social class to be born lol
I have to disagree with this. I was working at a real job at age 14, had a car, and $10,000 in the bank by the time I went to college in 1970. There were 9 kids and my parents struggled hard to make ends meet, eventually taking my savings to pay their bills.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:19 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,915,513 times
while OP I think might be trolling, ill respond to it as if it wasn't.

op, when I was your supposed age(18), a community college cost $44 a credit hour. I did that for a year and left and worked for several years. when I decided I wanted to get my A.S, the tuition went from $44 to $174/credit hour. then went up to over $240 credit hour. multiply that by 18 credits and well... that is lot of money.

Tuition has pretty much tripled since I left high school in the early 2000s. ive never seen anything else go up that much that quickly. then add the cost of living has gone up too. do the math if you factor in tuition rates(x), col(Y) and salary(z). at what point do all meet? at what point in years, does salary > rent and tuition rates so they can save for classes?

sure, they can take part-time but that's still thousands of dollars. and im not even accounting for low income households or race in this post. im just talking in general.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:21 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,770,219 times
Funny, when I was in college our community college was 26.00 a credit and state tuition was double. I went to college on an academic scholarship because I was in the top 1% of high school students. Living at home allowed me to save enough money from side work to build my home. The world today is far worse thanks the the welfare for the rich supplied by the Fed. I would rather give free money to the working poor and cut off the free money pumped to the banks for billionaires. My parents grew up in the depression and had an easier time than I did due to rising wages and improving technology. Today's poor are crowded out by Big Brother and his regulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics