Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2014, 09:39 AM

41,109 posts, read 25,810,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I haven't read through this thread but I don't see any hatred towards the wealthy or fortunate. People are reacting to the bad attitude of the OP towards those in less than ideal circumstances. It seems that helping and providing assistance has become part of the fault of the perceived hardships the OP is experiencing.
I disagree. The responses to op show bad attitude. His parents work and pay taxes, some of that is so the poor can get help and then he has to work and save to pay for his own education. At least make an effort to understand where he is coming from instead of being ungrateful and wearing "poor" as a badge of honor, that says I'm poor therefor you have to help me and don't you dare say anything about it.

OP many people say what you are saying. Just realize that you have learned good money management skills and that is a skill most will not learn. They may get a free education and end up earning a good "wage" (good for them) but if they don't know how to manage their money, they'll still be poor. In most case this is exactly what happens. That is why they say you can throw tons of money at the poor and they'll still be poor. And don't waste your time being angry, they don't know better, many are angry at my post and don't get what I am saying. Use those learned money management skills though out your life and you'll do well in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 09:48 AM

Some of the smartest, most successful people in the country didn’t finish college. None of them learned their most critical skills at an institution of higher education. And like them, most of what you’ll need to learn to be successful you’ll have to learn on your own, outside of school.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:31 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,422,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Some of the smartest, most successful people in the country didn’t finish college. None of them learned their most critical skills at an institution of higher education. And like them, most of what you’ll need to learn to be successful you’ll have to learn on your own, outside of school.
Meanwhile in the real world...

Most millionaires in the United States have a Bachelor's degree or higher. Not going to college and becoming a high net worth individual is not the norm.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:09 AM

820 posts, read 1,211,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Couldn't agree more with this post (us Ramblers got to stick together).

OP is a taker big time. Not only does he accept tuition money from his parents, he gets food, a roof over his head and I bet his Mom gives him maid service too - doing his laundry, fixing meals, cleaning the house OP lives in, etc. OP is too cheap to go live on his own the way most 18 year-olds would. Right there is a sign of immaturity.

And it's very true that buying and fixing up cars is a hobby for someone who has money. Just the collection of mechanics tools that such work involves would cost a goodly amount of cash, never mind the cost of buying the cars. Gee, I wonder where the "start-up" money for this little enterprise came from? Could it be Mommy and Daddy?

OP lives in his own little fantasy world. He's so sheltered that he won't even leave home and find out what the big, bad world out there is REALLY all about. I looked it up and did the math and the Pell grant program costs the individual taxpayer $7.25. For the sake of $7.25, poor little rich boy would deny lower income folks a college education because they are "takers." Well, it takes one to know one, doesn't it OP? And the other Rambler was right on about "the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune." Every single one of us has no immunity to a disabling illness, severe economic down turns, natural disasters, the death of loved ones, etc. OP's superiority complex completely negates any feelings of compassion or empathy he might have for his fellow man. Bottom line, OP is a narcissist, and he's trying to come up with excuses for his misanthropic world outlook. What goes around, comes around OP. Your day will come, believe me. And IMO, it can't come soon enough.
Agreed. I get pell grants, go for a real major, and have poor parents who make 50k combined. The well off kids seem to forget all the mommy, and daddy perks they receive. I'm self made, and I thank the government for allowing that. Without federal loans many would never advance. This kid is inferior, its good his job doesn't involve real commerce, or technology. BTW the medicaid that pays for the people you x-ray, also gives you a salary how about that?

Old 06-13-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Meanwhile in the real world...

Most millionaires in the United States have a Bachelor's degree or higher. Not going to college and becoming a high net worth individual is not the norm.
Quote:
Some of the smartest, most successful people in the country didn’t finish college.

None of them learned their most critical skills at an institution of higher education.

And like them, most of what you’ll need to learn to be successful you’ll have to learn on your own, outside of school.
uh, as Kiyosaki says, you go to school to learn to work for someone else. Hey I don't have a Bachelors

Old 06-13-2014, 04:55 PM

18,555 posts, read 15,651,586 times
Quote:
uh, as Kiyosaki says, you go to school to learn to work for someone else. Hey I don't have a Bachelors
Kiyosaki is wrong. Not everyone can just up and start a business. It takes time to start a business and get it going, and in the meanwhile you have to pay the bills somehow.

Also, throwing out numerous studies which show a high correlation between educational and career attainment because they conflict with a few preferred anecdotes involving successful individuals without college degrees is, dare I say, cherry-picking to the extreme!!!

Old 06-14-2014, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Kiyosaki is wrong. Not everyone can just up and start a business. It takes time to start a business and get it going, and in the meanwhile you have to pay the bills somehow.

Also, throwing out numerous studies which show a high correlation between educational and career attainment because they conflict with a few preferred anecdotes involving successful individuals without college degrees is, dare I say, cherry-picking to the extreme!!!
Oh do you mean that those small business owners "build that"? You are right, "building that" is hard work. No one is around while people are working hard to start and run a business but once they begin to profit people come out of the woodwork wanting a piece of it.

I'm not saying that an education isn't important. I am saying that life skills (learning how to handle finances) is just as important. That's the problem, people think once they graduate the learning is over. It's not. People think that if they could just make a little bit more, their problems are solved. It's not. If you don't know how to handle money you'll always struggle.

And by the way, no one is owed anything.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
By the way, read his book called Cash Flow Quadrant. At minimum you'll see money in a whole new way.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
By the way, read his book called Cash Flow Quadrant. At minimum you'll see money in a whole new way.
The use of the term "cash flow", as I have learned from experience, is usually just an excuse to go into debt and look only at the monthly payments, instead of the actual PRICE of what was purchased.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Oh do you mean that those small business owners "build that"? You are right, "building that" is hard work. No one is around while people are working hard to start and run a business but once they begin to profit people come out of the woodwork wanting a piece of it.

I'm not saying that an education isn't important. I am saying that life skills (learning how to handle finances) is just as important. That's the problem, people think once they graduate the learning is over. It's not. People think that if they could just make a little bit more, their problems are solved. It's not. If you don't know how to handle money you'll always struggle.

And by the way, no one is owed anything.
You wouldn't feel that way if you had starving kids and no one would hire you despite trying and being willing to work hard.

Please don't be in denial about the fact that many are struggling and it is no fault of their own. Now, I'm not advocating communism, but I am saying that we should support people in order to allow them to have a chance to work and prove themselves, when their hardship is not due to a lack of effort but to bad luck or family problems they have no control over.

But we'd certainly agree that there are people who abuse the system, collecting food stamps and driving $65,000 cars at the same time. And that is certainly something that we shouldn't allow, I'll agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics