Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 07:22 PM

768 posts, read 1,759,652 times

Advertisements

With all the banking law changes in the past few years - I have been unable to get the facts on how long a paper check takes to be posted.

If Bob deposits a check Monday. When will the funds be available for Bob to pay Jack?

Bob is a LARGE LAW FIRM
The check is from a LARGE INSURANCE COMPANY
The amount over $100K
Jack feels like his is getting jacked around.

Any links or government info will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 07:24 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
With all the banking law changes in the past few years - I have been unable to get the facts on how long a paper check takes to be posted.

If Bob deposits a check Monday. When will the funds be available for Bob to pay Jack?

Bob is a LARGE LAW FIRM
The amount over $100K

Posting and availability are different things. When you money will be available will vary by the bank

Old 07-13-2014, 11:52 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,683,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post

Bob is a LARGE LAW FIRM
The amount over $100K

Last time I looked, the rules differed depending on whether the check was from out of state. For a local check, isn't the rule three days? Something fairly short. Of course, each day there's a cut off point at a certain time of the day. Make a deposit after that time and deposit is technically made the next day.

Update: I guess they changed the rules a few years back. Now, it looks like everything is "local" but there are various exceptions depending on the amount of the check and so on. The FDIC website has a summary of the law.

Last edited by John7777; 07-14-2014 at 12:04 AM..

Old 07-14-2014, 12:35 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
A couple of years ago I created a trust account because some money unexpectedly pooped up out of nowhere for my mother's estate. Check from a New York brokerage firm. Local bank.

I was allowed access to $5000 immediately but for the rest of the 23000 I had to wait two weeks.

I get that there is such a thing as fraud, but the problem is that the banking rules were set up decades ago, and why haven't they changed? Why couldn't the brokerage firm made a direct deposit to the trust account, with the funds available immediately? Why do banks continue to live on the float at our expense?

Old 07-14-2014, 06:41 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
A couple of years ago I created a trust account because some money unexpectedly pooped up out of nowhere for my mother's estate. Check from a New York brokerage firm. Local bank.

I was allowed access to $5000 immediately but for the rest of the 23000 I had to wait two weeks.

I get that there is such a thing as fraud, but the problem is that the banking rules were set up decades ago, and why haven't they changed? Why couldn't the brokerage firm made a direct deposit to the trust account, with the funds available immediately? Why do banks continue to live on the float at our expense?

You could have asked for a wire transfer

What money are they making on the float that they don't make anyhow? Most checking accounts don't earn interest and within brokerage accounts the funds get invested into a mmf or bank deposit before the hold is gone

Also checks can be returned up to 30 days from the date of deposit which far exceeds any hold time.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:18 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,649 times
Checks clear accounts in 2 days. Banks can put holds on the check for up to 7 business days though.

If Bob Deposits Check today (monday) then the 100,000 will come out of the Insurance companies account on Wednesday. Even though the deposit has cleared the bank account of the insurance company, it doesn't mean didly if the bank Bob deposited it to put a hold on it. Likely, at 100,000 it was put on hold for a min. of 5 business days.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/regcc/regcc.htm

Old 07-15-2014, 01:37 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
Checks between major banks clear electronically in a range of hours to overnight. Funds are available in a range from immediately to days later depending upon the institution. This is not a FED issue as they have not been the major processor of checks for many years.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:51 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,683,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Checks between major banks clear electronically in a range of hours to overnight. Funds are available in a range from immediately to days later depending upon the institution. This is not a FED issue as they have not been the major processor of checks for many years.
It may not be an "issue" for the Fed, but there is a law... And no, it does not necessarily "depend" upon the institution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics