Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 02:10 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,372,747 times

Advertisements

I haven't heard a peep about this in a while. I'm not going to state my personal position because it doesn't matter.

Where is this ball of wax at? Will they get a lesser amount passed? None at all? Are they even still trying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 02:14 PM

6,030 posts, read 3,749,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
I haven't heard a peep about this in a while. I'm not going to state my personal position because it doesn't matter.

Where is this ball of wax at? Will they get a lesser amount passed? None at all? Are they even still trying?
I think it's unlikely that anything will happen along the lines of student loan forgiveness, and personally, that's just fine with me. After all, these are student LOANS. Everyone who signed the papers to get one understood that the loans were to be paid back... and they should live up to that commitment.

Old 06-02-2021, 02:20 PM

20,121 posts, read 9,036,439 times
Biden finally realized it wasn't fair to ask people with no college to pay for those that do.

Old 06-02-2021, 02:33 PM

3,055 posts, read 3,324,138 times
Quote:

Watch for the Secure Act 2.0 as it goes thru Congress. The part about college loan debt may allow an employer to make payments for their employee student loan debt. Another part would be for the employee to be automatically enrolled up to 3% into the 401K program. The employer may get tax credit if they do this.

Frankly, if you compare rates of return in a 401K vrs student loan debt it may be best to go with the 401K and pay debt like any other out of income.

The only part of the Secure Act 2.0 I sorta like is gradually pushing the RMD dates to 75 from 72. This would give the employee 3 more years for the 401K to grow. Someone 25 with a 50 year time horizon could have millions in the 401K.

Old 06-02-2021, 02:43 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
This was never one of Biden's priorities. Other people talked about it, not him, and he eventually said he'd support 10K of forgiveness. I think if Congress sent him a bill to do that, or if it's part of a larger bill, he'd sign it. But otherwise, it's not really a surprise that he's not expending any political capital on it when it wasn't something at the top of his list.

Old 06-02-2021, 03:00 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,522,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Biden finally realized it wasn't fair to ask people with no college to pay for those that do.
Nahh...he just doesn't have the votes. He didn't realize anything.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:53 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,261,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Yep but isn't it amazing that Biden realized that after the 2020 election?

Nice and convenient for him I say.

Old 06-03-2021, 12:20 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,382,615 times
Quote:

This is not really an economic issue - this should be under education or politics.

Many have missed it but he already did forgive about $2.3B in student loans for those who are permanently disabled and or those whose college or university defrauded students and were closed permanently because of these issues.

Biden's budget was released about a week ago - it did not include any broad scale student debt relief, that would be where it would be expected to appear. The problem is that a lot of the Dems outside of the coastal blue states don't support this either since it only benefits those with this debt, that is not the average joe so likely would not pass scrutiny in states with lower levels of college attendance.

The second way that has been discussed is executive order but that is likely not possible. Biden has said he doesn’t believe he has the authority to enact student loan cancellation by executive order without authorization from Congress. It would also be required to amend the U.S. Bankruptcy Code - student loans are specifically not discharged in bankruptcy filings so would need to modify to allow discharge of court ordered payments. That is definitely not possible with an executive action.

The other issue is fairness - what is the cutoff for forgiveness. What about those that worked 3 jobs to have no debt. What about those that used it only to pay living expenses like for frat parties. What about those that paid those debts already. The only fair way is for everyone to pay what they agreed to - reduce interest instead of forgiving the debt.

Old 06-03-2021, 12:57 AM

1,066 posts, read 893,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
This is not really an economic issue - this should be under education or politics.

Many have missed it but he already did forgive about $2.3B in student loans for those who are permanently disabled and or those whose college or university defrauded students and were closed permanently because of these issues.

Biden's budget was released about a week ago - it did not include any broad scale student debt relief, that would be where it would be expected to appear. The problem is that a lot of the Dems outside of the coastal blue states don't support this either since it only benefits those with this debt, that is not the average joe so likely would not pass scrutiny in states with lower levels of college attendance.

The second way that has been discussed is executive order but that is likely not possible. Biden has said he doesn’t believe he has the authority to enact student loan cancellation by executive order without authorization from Congress. It would also be required to amend the U.S. Bankruptcy Code - student loans are specifically not discharged in bankruptcy filings so would need to modify to allow discharge of court ordered payments. That is definitely not possible with an executive action.

The other issue is fairness - what is the cutoff for forgiveness. What about those that worked 3 jobs to have no debt. What about those that used it only to pay living expenses like for frat parties. What about those that paid those debts already. The only fair way is for everyone to pay what they agreed to - reduce interest instead of forgiving the debt.
I really can't stand the "it's not fair" diversion. If that were the standard, we'd never progress in any way on any thing. Well the car I bought didn't have airbags, why should these other people get airbags?

Gee, my niece is 19 now and the child tax credit is going up, not fair, can't do it.

Golly, my mom doesn't have to take required minimum distributions until 72. Not fair, other people had to do it at 70 and a half.

Your "fair way" has the same problem, those people who worked 3 jobs or whatever your analogy is also had to pay whatever interest rate was there, not some reduced interest. They "agreed" to that part too, you know.

This totally avoids debating the merit of it on its own.

Old 06-03-2021, 02:43 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,246,239 times
Regardless of one's opinions on student loan cancellation, I'd hope we can all agree that charging 6% interest on these amounts is patently absurd. We're taxing ourselves to pay ourselves. We can put this interest money to far more productive use by allowing it to stay in our pockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics