Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 08:18 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,088 times

Advertisements

I don't know how you all are noticing gas prices, but with crude trading under 80.00/bbl, I would have expected refined gasoline at the pumps to be at least another 20% less. Our prices in central Alabama are among the lowest in the nation, but have been stubbornly clinging to 2.75-2.85 for regular.

I know the station owners are VERY reluctant to lower when prices are dropping, but they must be making some dough right now, as consumers are happy to see prices this low. I'd like to see if lower, as I know they are going to jack those prices up should oil turn around, as it's notorious to do.

Anyone else with this observation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 08:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
If you are as high as $2.85, someone is taking advantage of an opportunity to make more profits there. We have one of the highest gas tax rates in the nation (55.9 cents/gallon) yet I paid $2.69 the other day, though it's crept up to $2.87 since.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:30 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,577,118 times
There's a lag because the inventory of gas at distributors has a higher price than the spot price. A few gas stations may charge much lower prices than competitors as a result.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:43 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I don't know how you all are noticing gas prices, but with crude trading under 80.00/bbl, I would have expected refined gasoline at the pumps to be at least another 20% less. Our prices in central Alabama are among the lowest in the nation, but have been stubbornly clinging to 2.75-2.85 for regular.

I know the station owners are VERY reluctant to lower when prices are dropping, but they must be making some dough right now, as consumers are happy to see prices this low. I'd like to see if lower, as I know they are going to jack those prices up should oil turn around, as it's notorious to do.

Anyone else with this observation?
Low gas prices would undo much of the progress made in the last few years towards taming fossil fuel consumption.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:08 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Gas prices should be lower because I said so. Gas prices don't rise or fall as fast as oil or at least that type of price movement isn't typical

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_pr...rt.aspx?time=3

Old 11-05-2014, 10:12 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Low gas prices would undo much of the progress made in the last few years towards taming fossil fuel consumption.
Not really since fuel efficiency has been ever increasing. It takes less fuel to travel farther now than it ever did in previous years.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:14 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Not really since fuel efficiency has been ever increasing. It takes less fuel to travel farther now than it ever did in previous years.
Only because more expensive technology has been used. Without high gas prices people won't want to pay such premia. Or the vehicles will expand in size each year until fuel usage goes right back to where it was. Or people will move to further suburbs until it's back to where it was.

Unfortunately, the desire to burn fossil fuels knows no bounds - only financial pressure will keep it in check.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Only because more expensive technology has been used. Without high gas prices people won't want to pay such premia. Or the vehicles will expand in size each year until fuel usage goes right back to where it was. Or people will move to further suburbs until it's back to where it was.

Unfortunately, the desire to burn fossil fuels knows no bounds - only financial pressure will keep it in check.
Do you really think gas prices are going to remain below $3 for long? They are projected to get even lower toward the end of the year, but I'd expect them to crawl back up toward the summer driving season, and any little burp in the middle east, offshore rig leak, or other production issue will cause an immediate jump.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:19 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times
Any time a bunch of analysts start predicting the same thing at the same time one should be suspect... analysts in unison are usually wrong... its human nature and emotionally driven.

For that reason one should be suspect of the current stock market rally... not only are we overvalued by any historical measure, margin levels are at all time highs with everybody on city-data and other forums becoming perma bulls... bragging about their gains and talking as if the good times will go on forever....

Big moves in opposite directions usually take people off guard... and many people in the financial community like kramer seem to think that high oil is good and that low oil will bring about some economic doomsday... shows how disconnected.the rich can be from the working class....

Old 11-05-2014, 01:00 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
Quote:

So what you're saying is people will willingly increase their fuel consumption just because they know they can rather than continuing to save money with better fuel efficiency? Wouldn't falling fuel prices make fuel efficient cars more affordable since the processes used to make those cars also consume fuel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics