Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 11:50 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I agree completely with this statement boomer, but I'm at the tail end of the boomer generation. It's the older boomers that don't get it. Many people in my age bracket (now in our late 40's, early 50's) got caught in our prime years by the disastrous policies put down before us. We have been layed off from those manufacturing jobs, pensions and benefits frozen or taken away, wages stagnating, and watching our retirement years slip farther and farther off in the future, if at all.

It is the OLDER boomers that had it made - job security, low cost of living and decent wages, pensions, and the ability to usually live on one income and still save a good nest egg. My own parents don't understand why my kids, in their early 20's, aren't already out on their own because in "their" day, it was much, much easier to do.
Case in point my father. Both of my parents are early 50's boomers so they are early/mid boomers. My father thinks I did nothing job wise when I didn't have a job meanwhile 90% of applications are online. The only ones that aren't are gas stations, where he works (a golf course's 19th hole) and where my mother works. Everywhere else whether it is retail, sales, admin, banking, teaching, etc. is all online if only resume submission. And then, you can't call to get an update on the application because that can make you look pushy as well as you only hear something if they actually want to tell you and often it is months later. Pounding the pavement or going to job fairs just leaves you with "Our applications are online," responses. It defiantly isn't the get fired, find a new job, apply, interview and get it on the way home from your previous job or get instant hired at a job fair. Some of it is due to law like e-varify, and various jobs with background checks, etc. but a lot of it is the supply is greater than the demand. This last idea is also key when we look at wages today, they are stagnant and low balled and not able to move out even with multiple roommates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 11:55 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBluesBrother View Post
This post isn't meant to be taken seriously, and I do quite well for myself, BTW. I'm just sick of people from the older generation making stupid generalizations about millenials, and dismissing there valid economic concerns with the same uniformed platitudes over and over:

"Well, you should've gone to trade school instead of majoring in Art History."

"Well, these kids waste money on new iPhones, in my day, you paid off your tuition with your summer job and saved."

Every generation has to put up with that type of attitude from the previous one. We boomers got it about demonstrating against the war, wearing outlandish clothes, crazy music, etc.

All of which were perceived as disrespectful and very un-American.

I really don't think Boomers as a whole are totally clueless about the challenges millennial face.

I honestly don't see any humor in your original post. It comes across as narrow minded and hateful.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:07 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
paragraphs are your friend, my friend. . .

Don't like it?? don't read it. Simple.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:57 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times
Quote:
Baby Boomers grew up in an era where the US had a huge manufacturing sector, strong unions, cheap gas, a very high progressive income tax, and major expansion of affordable housing and free or low cost quality public higher education.

When these a-holes hit their 30's & 40's and started taking over corporations, they destroyed unions, raided pensions, sent our manufacturing sector overseas, fought against public transportation, demanded tax cuts for the wealthy, and replaced public funding for education and housing with finance schemes that caused global economic catastrophe, and put a generation in lifelong debt before they even had a chance to earn income.

Now that they have destroyed the economy for future generations, they have the audacity to preach about "personal responsibility".
The F'ing post of the day, even though you are about to get blown up!!

Old 11-06-2014, 01:03 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Don't like it?? don't read it. Simple.
But why bother writing it if it won't be read? I skipped it too, too hard on the eyes. It's a shame, because you might have something worthwhile to say. But, I will never know.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Maybe it's because some of your posts, such as the one you began this thread with, are so juvenile and vacuous.
it's only juvenile if it hits too close to home.

OP is spot on. And of course, it's offensive to most of the folks sitting at home right now, drawing a check, for an admitted long work life. The wealthiest generation of humans the world has ever known, or likely will know, better enjoy their golden years.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
I guess to "reset" everything, we need a good Europe-and-Asia-trashing war, so we can be the predominant manufacturer and export everything we can produce, once again. . . so what say you young 'ens? Ready to march off and have a couple hundred thousand of you killed? That'll trim the workforce and make it certain there will be a job for you!
This isn't as silly of an idea as perhaps the poster thought it was. Peace isn't prosperous. Just ask the last administration as we marched in Iraq and Afghanistan, how their own portfolios filled with Halliburton stock and others showed...

Old 11-06-2014, 01:23 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
But why bother writing it if it won't be read? I skipped it too, too hard on the eyes. It's a shame, because you might have something worthwhile to say. But, I will never know.
The grammer and spelling police don't want to read my post anyway. I don't care if they read it or not read it. For those interested it is there.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:43 PM

538 posts, read 538,823 times
Quote:
This post isn't meant to be taken seriously, and I do quite well for myself, BTW. I'm just sick of people from the older generation making stupid generalizations about millenials, and dismissing there valid economic concerns with the same uniformed platitudes over and over:

"Well, you should've gone to trade school instead of majoring in Art History."

"Well, these kids waste money on new iPhones, in my day, you paid off your tuition with your summer job and saved."
Not another thread.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:03 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
it's only juvenile if it hits too close to home.

OP is spot on. And of course, it's offensive to most of the folks sitting at home right now, drawing a check, for an admitted long work life. The wealthiest generation of humans the world has ever known, or likely will know, better enjoy their golden years.
It's silly to vilify the Boomers simply because the world is changing. It is no more their fault than it is your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics