Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 01:31 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,796,960 times

Advertisements

Swiss voters reject central-bank gold initiative - MarketWatch

It would have required the Swiss central bank to hold 20% of its assets in gold, which seems like a modified form of a gold standard.

Is this the end of gold as a store-house of value? It's already lost about a third of its value recently. It's been called a barbaric relic for a hundred years or more. Maybe people are ready to relegate it to the role of jewelry: uniquely useful in fashioning beautiful trinkets to be worn by beautiful women.

Maybe its role in the financial world has come to an end. Maybe it will be just another vehicle for speculation with no intrinsic value.

I wonder if there are any implications for monetary and fiscal policies or if this is just another ripple in the tides of economic life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 01:53 PM

748 posts, read 820,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Maybe its role in the financial world has come to an end. Maybe it will be just another vehicle for speculation with no intrinsic value.
Dubious. Gold will be used for money in year 3,000 if humans still walk the earth. Will any currency used today be? I doubt it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
I wonder if there are any implications for monetary and fiscal policies or if this is just another ripple in the tides of economic life.
I think it exposes flaws in the current monetary system, if a small nation's central bank can buy 70% of the world gold output. The world of paper, and the world of physical are vastly out of whack.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:00 PM

260 posts, read 326,439 times
Modern day economists say that Gold is an outdated base for currency. There are few major economies that do hold the gold standard.

gold is an electroconductor and much of the electronics we use today use gold in it's circuit boards.

In medicine and biotech gold has value as it's a none-corrosive material.

Of course as new technologies being developed we may soon move from gold to alloys and other materials, for industrial use.

In theory one could make money by collecting old circuit boards and removing gold from em.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:48 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
Dubious. Gold will be used for money in year 3,000 if humans still walk the earth. Will any currency used today be? I doubt it.

I think it exposes flaws in the current monetary system, if a small nation's central bank can buy 70% of the world gold output. The world of paper, and the world of physical are vastly out of whack.
Yep, agree on both counts.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:14 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
Yep, agree on both counts.
Take some gold dust to your local grocery store and try to buy some food. No doubt about it, gold no longer works as money. It may be valuable but it is not money.

The Swiss can certainly afford to buy a pile of gold and stick it in a vault. So what? We have tons of gold in Fort Knox. I have no idea what good that does. What could we ever do with that gold? Take some out of storage, sell it and turn it into paper money? And what would that do or mean to anyone?

Old 11-30-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Take some gold dust to your local grocery store and try to buy some food. No doubt about it, gold no longer works as money. It may be valuable but it is not money.
It is not currently practical as money, granted. But who said it was? The point was that it is and will remain valuable.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:50 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,034 times
I thought you agreed "that gold will be used for money...."

Old 11-30-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I thought you agreed "that gold will be used for money...."
Anything that has value can be used for money. That does not mean that said commodity will always be the most efficient means of exchange.

What I was agreeing with is that gold will retain value long after fiat currencies have fallen by the wayside.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:17 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
Anything that has value can be used for money. That does not mean that said commodity will always be the most efficient means of exchange.

What I was agreeing with is that gold will retain value long after fiat currencies have fallen by the wayside.
Assuming it is durable, divisible into reasonable-size chunks, and not too bulky.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:56 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,796,960 times
I remember in an economics class, the professor asked why gold was $32/ounce while water was free. Gold was useless (except for those exoteric applications people mentioned) while water was necessary. Why should a useless commodity cost more than a necessary one?

Students just kind of mumbled replies because no one knew. The answer, obviously, is that gold is worth what people will pay for it. Unlike a share or common stock, an ownership interest in a going company, it is not a claim on future earnings. It will never create anything of value and will never be more or less than what it is now.

For a couple of centuries, it had value as a guarantor of a country's currency. Pounds, Francs, Dollars could be exchanged for a certain amount of gold. No country, so far as I know, still makes such a guarantee. This was a bow to the historic role of gold as a storehouse of a nations wealth.

Absent this role, what purpose does gold serve (again, except for the few mentioned)? Vanity, certainly. Like pearls and diamonds. As far as I can see, it's value has been reduced to what people will pay: the market says it's worth $X, so it is. Almost all other commodities have value because they have use, of utility as economist like to say.

Not gold. It's the most speculative speculation of all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics