Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2015, 12:40 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
I apologize for being dull, here, with this question - but what on earth is ROP? Thank you in advance for enlightenment.
Regional Occupational Program

Old 01-10-2015, 01:15 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Ok, I have a few questions based on your post.

Why should PE require homework and what homework can you apply to it? Is it right to test someone on how to play a game or perhaps how fast you can do a drill test? Remember PE classes include the girls who stand idle, the jocks (both male and female,) the active people who aren't jocks and semi-active people who always put in effort (where I would fall in.) The only thing is maybe the rules of the game. Remember PE is a LOT different than English classes where you had grammar tests, book reports, essay tests, short stories writing, poem writing, etc. because PE is basically dress, follow rules and put effort in similar to chorus or band where you can be graded on specific sight reading or part tests as well as participation.
I already told you what homework PE required. Extracurricular sports. It could be team or individual sports, or even something like dance or yoga, but showing up and standing around would earn you a C. We even had a kid in a wheelchair who got his A by joining the small bore rifle team, and a kid with cerebral palsy who earned his A by being the equipment manager for the football team. There was swimming, tennis, judo and cross country in addition to football, basketball, wrestling, volleyball, baseball and track. Take your pick. Once upon a time we knew that a healthy body was important for a successful life.

I also played several brass instruments in the band, and there was intensive homework there. I put in many hours doing exercises and learning my parts. When we did small ensembles we scheduled our own rehearsal times. I was too busy to give it the time it deserved, but my classmates who went on to become professional musicians practiced at least 20 hours a week outside of class. The jazz band I was a member of rehearsed 6 hours a week, and we were expected to know our part when we started rehearsal.

Quote:
Was this the case with say a home economics, shop class, etc.? The only course that was an "elective" that I had outside work in was health class. Otherwise it was work mostly in class and not even if it wasn't senior year. If that is the case, I can imagine the thing.

The amount of kids going off to college is partially going back to the G.I. Bill using silents and greatests as well as boomers who went to college and having that work for them so they press that onto generational children. I'm sure it was important to finish off high school as it is now to go onto college.
The guys in shop class did minor fab projects all the time and turned in one big project at the end of the year. They normally worked in small groups to design the project and draw the blueprints, which they had to do as homework. If they had access to tools outside of school they could work on their projects on their own time, but if not you could find them working there at lunch and after school to get their work done.

You apparently were the victim of a mediocre education that didn't set any standards.

Quote:
Three problems with the weeding out incompetent and incapable:
  1. How do you figure out who exactly is incompetent? is it by test scores, effort?
  2. What do you do for them? do you try to teach to them rather than the good students? do you just forget about them?
  3. Is it the system that makes someone incompetent? I hated the regents and so I didn't put in effort because despite my dislike, I could information dumb and get 80's or 90's on most tests. I didn't do homework because I knew no matter what I'd pass the regents or even the normal final and pass for the year. I was burnt on the school system and learning about simple algebra for example for an entire week and nothing new each day.
This said, there is business courses that were an elective to replace government and economics for your senior year "social studies" credit at my school and I would imagine they still do it. No idea what they do in Arizona other than shorter days for seniors rather than give electives...
You weed out the deadwood by setting standards. It doesn't matter so much how you do it as when. You tell them up front what is required and how that will be scored, then stick to it. If they don't do it, they fail. They get a chance to take the class over, but they need to know right up front that they have failed. A lot of the problems the millennials have is that they have never failed at anything. People carried them, powdered their asses and told them they were great, when in fact they were worthless. They get all the way through college without failing at anything, then get dumped into the real world were people fail all the time. The cognitive dissonance drives them nuts. Learning to deal with failure is an essential part of the educational process. The earlier they learn to take control of their life, the better off they will be.

Quote:
Kind of going back to my second point, how do we do we figure out the deadwood and what do we do with them? I am sure that people don't want to hear their son is one step away from becoming soylent green.
They could all go live at your house. At the moment we are letting the deadwood weed itself out, by dropping out. It's a self-selection process that works fairly well. About a third of the population isn't worth anything but an 8th grade education, and that is about the dropout rate. They are hard put to read street signs, will never read a book in their life, and can't add two fractions together to save their life. They are all around you. We don't have to do anything with them. At that, they are often better off than the middle of the pack college graduate who is under the impression they have done something worthy of note after investing tens of thousands of dollars in their failure.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:38 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post

I want to know WHO is able to afford these places and WHY is no affordable housing being built anywhere?

If it's not these mansions its ''sardine can condos'' crammed into a few acres with sky high price tags.

As always, follow the money. "Developers" build the hugest enclosed space they can find, because it is the cheapest to build and they can extract the most vig. "Developers" begin with a 45% markup on a "base" model. Extras are marked up 100%.

The damage to the consumer is not contained there. Every subcontractor also has a "base" price, which he/she marks up by a minimum of 45%.

The NAILS are marked up 45%.

Concrete workers mark it up 100%.

The cost to build a house anywhere in the country is $60sq ft. Any amount in excess of that number that you pay for a new shack is vig for somebody else.

Got it?

We prospective buyers are suckers and marks, as viewed by the "developers", realtors, lawyers, loan officers, mortgage insurers, building inspectors, Planning and Zoning Commissions, town clerks, and everybody else who touches the transaction. ESPECIALLY the realtors, who are manipulative and not above lying or pimping their mothers if it gets them an extra $5 in commission. Did I mention the realtors?

Can't wait till they all go belly up in the next bust. Which will be much, much bigger than the last bust, because there is so much more hyper-leveraged debt at the local level. Schweet.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:46 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
If you're a millennial and not particularly talented, smart, and don't live in a major city like SF or NYC, you're probably going to struggle.
True dat. I would add the same is true if you live in a state that is over-regulated, thereby justifying an enormous state and town level bureaucracy (every new reg has a ripple effect at the state and local level of 10:1 at minimum. Most times the apparatus attempts to hire an entire new department (or 'branch").

It bears repeating: Every new rule or reg is used to justify hiring 10 new public "servants" to feed at the trough, for you to support, each of whom will do his best to pump up the pension deficit at the state level, for which you will be on the hook.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:57 AM

908 posts, read 1,660,987 times
i wouldn't agree that boomers will leave their millennial children "nothing" as inheritance. A lot of them will leave a HOUSE that is all or nearly paid off. that is a big thing. And if families weren't so stupid nowadays, the millennials would have been living in that house all along and saving up their own money. (sorry but it had to be said). I'm not so sure your negative prognosis is so accurate.

There are plenty of factors that could come into play. Most middle class people don't just make money by working for wages, they buy a cheap house, fix it up, sell it when the price is high, then go on from there building equity and assets in ways like that. Or they get creative on the side, and no you don't have to be that talented to sell your own product online, lots of inane junk is selling like hotcakes. For a while. that's what it takes- little spurts and chunks of windfall cash here and there, don't waste it but use it wisely, and voila- you are getting a little bit ahead and /or building equity.
The thing that will ruin this is if you are a nonthinker and just a drone who does as told all day, then goes home and zones out without thinking of anything they themselves can do to get ahead in some way. Or maybe they stop looking for opportunites they can afford to do, and just start telling themselves nasty negative lies about failure and give up.

Last edited by 2bpurrfect; 01-10-2015 at 07:18 AM..

Old 01-10-2015, 08:48 AM

908 posts, read 1,660,987 times
don't listen to people's assumptions and traditions about what young people need to learn. For instance, a 4- year degree might not be a one size fits all, some need to learn a trade instead... The skilled trades in the usa are doing very well, see this thread.... //www.city-data.com/forum/work-...g-job-two.html

Old 01-10-2015, 09:00 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
So, two-thirds of your working progeny are in public sector jobs. That means somebody has had their pockets gouged to pay their salaries via ever-increasing taxes.

It's starting to look a little uneven. One taxpayer (the electrician) and two tax takers (the teacher and the county employee). Most likely in a town with a declining population.

Not that there's anything wrong with working with what you've got, from the standpoint of employers. Before the nation went to a service economy, your progeny would have had a wider range of choices. I'm sure you witnessed that yourself - there's a dearth of non-public sector jobs on the north shore.

FWIW, CT, CA and VT have the same problem. Just sayin'.
Actually the population isn't decreasing here. If anything it's increased too fast. Until a couple years ago it was the fastest growing County in the US and had been for 20 years.

You do realize, of course you do since you post such intelligent stuff, that public employees pay taxes also, right. And in this state the pension contribution is both higher than Social Security for a smaller benefit and is taxed at both ends.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:21 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,872 times
How many people that are young remember their parents talking about starting out? They had to work and save to get where they are. They did not start out wealthy. Who would expect to have a lot at 18? Work, save, and one day you too can be comfortable or wealthy.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:34 AM

580 posts, read 777,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkuzminski View Post

Even radiology....they analyze the Cat Scans from India.......
This is a red herring argument. The "Outsourced" radiologist myth has worked the rounds for years. To do this, you have to have a US Board-certified radiologist providing the interpretation for medical-legal reasons. Primarily, these are set up by foreign-born, US trained radiologists who have to move back to their home countries for family reasons. However, many places providing "Nighthawk" services are actually US based radiologists who are on call with a PACS system setup in their den.

But please, carry-on with your diatribes.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
How many people that are young remember their parents talking about starting out? They had to work and save to get where they are. They did not start out wealthy. Who would expect to have a lot at 18? Work, save, and one day you too can be comfortable or wealthy.
Right on.

I am on the young end of the Boomer generation.

I started working and buying my own clothing, paying for my own entertainment and many of my personal items (including groceries) when I was 15. I moved out at 18. I payed for half my college expenses by working 35 or more hours a week and going to school full time as well. I went to a community college because it was affordable (and still is affordable).

My first house was 1300 square feet. My first car was 12 years old when I bought it. When I was a newlywed all of our furniture was from resale shops or garage sales - till we'd been married about ten years! We had one TV and didn't have cable till we were well able to afford it (about five years into marriage). We literally didn't buy a single soda (just to use one example) for the first five years of our marriage, because sodas were a luxury we couldn't afford.

I say we "couldn't" afford them and we "couldn't" afford cable. The truth is - we could have bought both, but we knew that they were both luxuries, not essential needs. We could have gone into debt and bought new furniture instead of relying on resale shops. We could have spent money on all sorts of things we chose to forego. We could have bought a house that was bigger and better the first go 'round but we chose not to.

Now, at age 52, we just bought another home (this is probably our sixth home or so). We qualified for DOUBLE the price of the home we just bought, but we've never maxed out our limits.

Meanwhile - on to our kids. The oldest two are the most realistic about budgets. They are married and have young families and both of my daughters are able to stay home rather than work. In spite of being one income young families, they live comfortable and pleasant lives and their husbands' income provides a very healthy lifestyle for their families. They are in their early thirties with small kids - supposedly the generation that is so poor and so economically disadvantaged - and yet none of them have any college debt and very little debt in general. They've "paid as they've gone along" rather than taking out big student loans or expecting to be able to go to college but work very part time or not at all. They switched it around - they worked full time and went to college part time. It took them longer to graduate but they graduated with zero debt.

The younger three are either not married or very recently married and none of them have any kids. The youngest in particular has this notion that he should be able to attend college for, oh, about seven or eight years (five years - not four - to get a bachelors degree and then he wants to go on to law school) without working - all the while living in a very nice apartment complex which has more amenities than any place we've ever personally lived. He is my stepson, so unfortunately his father and I don't have a lot of control over the expectations his mother has created for him. He has every luxury - newish car, top of the line phone/gaming system/TV/computer, etc, new furniture, even a fancy coffee maker for pete's sake! I can assure you that the very idea of driving a 12 year old car or buying a 1300 square foot starter home has never even crossed his mind - and both scenarios would horrify him.

Ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics