Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 02:55 PM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I bunched all my classes together on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays so that I could work the weekend and Tuesdays and Thursdays. Some semesters didn't work out that way and I ended up working nights after classes.

I don't see why you're making this out to be such a hardship. How else are students who cannot dunk a basketball expected to claw their way up the economic ladder?
So, at base, your issue is with athletes? You've been the one making things into a "hardship". All I've done is point out how unrealistic some of your assumptions are.

The same way all of we non-athletes did, by working our asses off. Sometimes in jobs that were crappy or disappeared during that "minor, hardly happened" recession of the early 1980s. Moving because there are were no jobs where you were. Even taking a job which wasn't in your major.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:12 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Aww, c'mon. You can do it. You haven't been paying attention, students can work at least 25 hours/week during school and 60 hours in the summer.
Really? ok

MW: if you start at 9, you have off at 10 but need to be back at 11, so not long enough to work in that period and you could possibly do homework. After about 1: 45, you are free to do meetings or more homework or work.
TTh: You can't work up until 2 unless you are working overnight because if it don't, that falls under double time if you worked earlier which places of work rarely do. You cant work until after 7 and most places of work close up by 10, maybe 11 so they will be closed for shop by 12 or 1 the latest.
F: similar to MW but off after 12, available to work.
Weekend: available to work.

Possible to work 25 hours but at the possible sacrifice of class work. I saw numerous miss classes and project meetings over call-ins to work they need to cover.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:27 PM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Really? ok

MW: if you start at 9, you have off at 10 but need to be back at 11, so not long enough to work in that period and you could possibly do homework. After about 1: 45, you are free to do meetings or more homework or work.
TTh: You can't work up until 2 unless you are working overnight because if it don't, that falls under double time if you worked earlier which places of work rarely do. You cant work until after 7 and most places of work close up by 10, maybe 11 so they will be closed for shop by 12 or 1 the latest.
F: similar to MW but off after 12, available to work.
Weekend: available to work.

Possible to work 25 hours but at the possible sacrifice of class work. I saw numerous miss classes and project meetings over call-ins to work they need to cover.
My sarcasm didn't translate. Just pointing a premise put forth someone other than me.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:03 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
My fathers elite private school adjusted for inflation is $9000 for room and board and he graduated in 1980. It now costs $50,000 A YEAR for just tuition. Guess what? He like many baby boomers majored in liberal arts and then worked in food and bev for a while until eventually launching a career a few years later. Now, if you dont have a job paying pretty well with your "typical" 30k in debt coming out of undergrad, you're forced to move back in with your parents. Hopefully they live in a strong job market and not some rural place without jobs or you're screwed. Then you can try and hope the military you to help repay debt if theyre even hiring. Average cost of medical school in 1990 was 40k. Now its closer to 200k.

We need to cut this student loan spigot off. These schools are spending like drunken sailors buying rock climbing walls, resort style dorms, paying assistant deans of one of each department 250k and giving them insane pensions. And the student loan companies aggressively lobby congress to make sure their product can't be written off in bankruptcy. A former CEO of Sallie Mae once made 500 million a year on the backs of students. As it stands now most of these schools/loan sharks are privatizing the gains and socializing the losses. Even worse default rates are now around 13%. And defaulted loans often have exorbitant fees added on, often totalling as much as 50% of the loan. Consequently, many lenders want defaults. Many people have paid more than the inital amount because of this and still barely made a dent in their debt.

Schools/lenders need skin in the game. If your loan default rate is 20% because your school product sucks you need to be on the hook for some of the defaulted debt. And being able to declare bankruptcy on debt that can't be repaid in 10 years based on salary calculations seems reasonable doesn't it (and don't tell me about that govt repayment 10 year plan as the last thing we need are more govt workers) it stands now IBR takes 20 years and leaves students with a tax bill for all forgiven debt at the end. All other forgiven debt is on the taxpayers. If a school is going to claim how rich their product will make you why shouldn't they be upheld to higher standards themselves? Also, if schools have skin in the game they will be better about proactively getting kids internships, and reducing the number of fluff classes people take, requiring kids to take at least a marketable minor etc. now you just get nonsense about following your dreams and handed a bill.

We need to talk to our politicians to reform this system before its too late.
Exactly. I noticed that in demanding free education for all (because we all have to sacrifice for the greater good, doncha know), Obama never even discussed the possibility that professors and administrators at these schools, who are pulling in obscene salaries, sacrifice with lower pay. I won't even discuss the salaries of coaches.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:08 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Not only that, some programs outright prohibit students from working. I knew a girl going through a quality nursing program at a small school and was prohibited from working.
While at school that's possible, though not likely. Even so, she should have had years of savings to draw on to meet her school expenses. If she spent her teen years partying instead of working, it's on her.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:58 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,169,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
So, at base, your issue is with athletes? You've been the one making things into a "hardship". All I've done is point out how unrealistic some of your assumptions are.

The same way all of we non-athletes did, by working our asses off. Sometimes in jobs that were crappy or disappeared during that "minor, hardly happened" recession of the early 1980s. Moving because there are were no jobs where you were. Even taking a job which wasn't in your major.

I provided evidence several pages back of how someone can get a 4 year education for less than 30k in tuition. Scoop doesn't seem to want to hear that. In his mind it is impossible to get a degree for less than 100k.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:24 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
While at school that's possible, though not likely. Even so, she should have had years of savings to draw on to meet her school expenses. If she spent her teen years partying instead of working, it's on her.
This would require a serious modification of labor laws to allow those under 16 to work without parental consent. A lot of parents wouldn't want their kids to work that much.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:12 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
This would require a serious modification of labor laws to allow those under 16 to work without parental consent. A lot of parents wouldn't want their kids to work that much.
Or parents savings. To the bold, that is true and hopefully more and more parents realize that working while in high school, during the summer and also while at college (if possible with their schedule and course load.)

Old 01-21-2015, 11:19 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
...would love to see politicians touch the third rail of Social Security. Tinker with the system so that it will last as long as possible -- even if today's seniors see reductions in benefits. (Particularly high net worth seniors who really don't need those checks.) That isn't going to happen. Why? Grandma Boomer needs her SS fix.
Early in my career, right after grad school, my first job was working for a consulting company that had won a contract with the Federal Government to provide some education & some training to Congress on those "New-Fangled Personal Computers." (this was a long time ago, of course)

So, we put together a training program and tried to make it relevant - it was a case study of Social Security.

It allowed Congressional staffers (and a few Congressmen who bothered to show up) to interact with a model of the Social Security System, inputting the number of people in the USA in each age cohort, birth rates, death rates, immigration rates, emigration rates, life expectancies, SS tax rates, inflation rates, etc -- all the relevant things.

And then the Personal Computer forecasted the results, showing pretty charts and graphs, inflows & outflows, and lo and behold, the Social Security System would surely run out of money.

SHOCK! HORROR! DISBELIEF!

The next piece of the training was to allow the Congressional staffers & elected represenataives to fiddle with all the knobs & buttons - tax rates, floors, ceilings, offsets, spousal benefit assumptions, inflation rates, etc.

The Personal Computers the re-forecasted the results, showing pretty charts & graphs of inflows & outflow, and lo and behold, the Social Security System would surely, still, run out of money.

MORE SHOCK, HORROR, & DISBELIEF!

What happened as a result of the training?

Pretty much nothing other than the students learned how to turn on a computer. SS is the 3rd rail, after all.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:25 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkuzminski View Post
I'm the OP of this thread.......just a few things in passing...
When you get a chance, read "While America Aged" by Roger Lowenstein. It is a very well thought out book I suspect you would find interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/While-America-...asin=143115383
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics