Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 11:29 AM

943 posts, read 1,198,645 times

Advertisements

The 18-35 age gap have a greater advantage when it comes to technology than the 65-90 age gap. Thanks to new investment opportunities such as Bitcoin, they can succeed greatly.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:41 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
OMG! You're so right! All the economic problems on earth can be solved by mining bitcoins!

C'mon. The only thing a bitcoin value graph is good for these days is roller coaster design. "Ride the Bitcoin -- the world's steepest ascent followed by the steepest-ever drop!"

Old 01-22-2015, 11:49 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
I really can't wrap my brain around the commonly accepted practice of going 4 full years to a college that you can't afford - and one of my criteria for "can't afford" is, you had to borrow money to do it. English 101 is English 101, no matter how much you pay for it.
As mizzourah2006 said, just go to a community college or juco for a couple of years, then transfer to the school of your dreams to get your degree. And when you graduate, it's not like there's going to be a little asterisk on it with a foot note that says *attended community college. I have a friend with a shiny Duke University diploma hanging on his wall who did this very thing, and his kids are doing the same.
I have all kinds of people I currently work with with "shiny degrees" from Cal, Stanford, the Ivies...I went to two state schools, one I received a grad degree from. We make the same amount.

As I've said before, on here, Higher Ed is in a bubble. If you are sure that shelling out all that money for one of the supposed fancy schools that teaches you English, Math, or Computer Science in a fancier way..be my guest. Studies have shown that it's, on average, a waste of money.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:09 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
I don't have the energy to read the entire thread but I would like to say that here in the Bay Area, there are many, many, younger people and foreign workers with starting pay at, or above $100,000. Most of us older folks never made that much at the end of our career let alone our starting pay! Exactly how much do they want to stop the whine?

Old 01-22-2015, 12:43 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
The University of TN - Knoxville (state flagship) charges almost $6k per semester/$12k annually in tuition, or over $50k after miscellaneous fees are added over the course of four years. The TN lottery scholarship will pay around $5k per year, leading to $30k before books, any other charges or financial aid apply. You could reasonably get away with $30k, but it wouldn't be easy, and unlikely if you count living expenses.

CC for 2 years, transfer to 4 year for final 2.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
I have all kinds of people I currently work with with "shiny degrees" from Cal, Stanford, the Ivies...I went to two state schools, one I received a grad degree from. We make the same amount.

As I've said before, on here, Higher Ed is in a bubble. If you are sure that shelling out all that money for one of the supposed fancy schools that teaches you English, Math, or Computer Science in a fancier way..be my guest. Studies have shown that it's, on average, a waste of money.
I have never seen anyone get a higher salary based on the school they graduated from, though I'm sure it could happen somewhere it can't be very common. When we require a degree and xx years experience we verify the degree but pay no attention to where it's from unless we never heard of the school. For example, something like "Fred Smith University" might raise an eyebrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I don't have the energy to read the entire thread but I would like to say that here in the Bay Area, there are many, many, younger people and foreign workers with starting pay at, or above $100,000. Most of us older folks never made that much at the end of our career let alone our starting pay! Exactly how much do they want to stop the whine?
We see that here too, though more often it's $70-80,000, but there are plenty of people starting with high salaries. Here, they are people that worked while in college so they have some experience as well as the degree, which also demonstrates time management skills, and likely good work ethic.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I agree that financially this is the best course of action. It will cut the price of a degree by more than one-third. But in your friend's case, that would STILL be $120,000 for two years study at Duke today:

Duke: $60,000 A Year For College Is Actually A Discount : Planet Money : NPR

I've never used Duke in my examples of ridiculous tuition increases. Duke was always a very expensive school. Their tuition in 1970 was $2,000 without room and board. So the minimum-wage earning student who is lucky enough to live within bicycling distance of Durham will need to work 30 hour weeks just for tuition.

I'm a big fan of community colleges, don't get me wrong. But I have attended English classes at community college. And I have attended English classes at top-tier schools. There IS a difference. When I attended college, the cost wasn't a big deal. Today, it's hard to justify five-figures extra for more interesting professors.

Is the "shiny Duke diploma" worth $120K or $240K? Yes it is -- for the right individual. A school like Duke isn't for everyone. However, that shiny diploma can open doors. I have a similar diploma. My life wouldn't be the same without it. I'm just glad that my shiny diploma cost less than $20K and not $150K. I wouldn't want to be a recent graduate staring today's economy in the face.

You need to treat tuition separately from tuition + room and board, because that infers that if you didn't go to college you wouldn't have to eat, or live somewhere. Tuition at Duke is 47k/yr. that is very high, but ~25% lower than 60k.

Also, private schools like that have a ton of need based aid. Most private schools offer atleast 25-50% off tuition for those accepted that don't come from very wealthy or high earning families.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:57 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
You need to treat tuition separately from tuition + room and board, because that infers that if you didn't go to college you wouldn't have to eat, or live somewhere. Tuition at Duke is 47k/yr. that is very high, but ~25% lower than 60k.

Also, private schools like that have a ton of need based aid. Most private schools offer atleast 25-50% off tuition for those accepted that don't come from very wealthy or high earning families.
I have addressed this before. In many, MANY cases, on-campus dormitory housing and the campus meal plan is considerably less expensive than finding an apartment, roommates, utilities and preparing one's own food.

In the Duke example, $13,000 isn't horribly out of line for living expenses -- room, board, and utilities. Probably higher than low-cost housing in Durham. At the school I attended, room and board cost considerably less than housing within bicycling distance of campus.

Regardless, Duke is completely out of reach financially unless the student picked the right parents, can dunk a basketball, or takes on a mountain of debt.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I have addressed this before. In many, MANY cases, on-campus dormitory housing and the campus meal plan is considerably less expensive than finding an apartment, roommates, utilities and preparing one's own food.

In the Duke example, $13,000 isn't horribly out of line for living expenses -- room, board, and utilities. Probably higher than low-cost housing in Durham. At the school I attended, room and board cost considerably less than housing within bicycling distance of campus.

I don't disagree, but if you choose not to go to college you still have to eat and live. So that price would be paid regardless of going to college or not. IMO including that in the price is disingenuous because it assumes that wouldn't be a cost if you decided not to go the college route. I know plenty of people that went into trades instead of going to college and believe it or not, their landlord still charged them rent and the grocery store they shopped at still required them to pay for their food.

Duke offers tons of need based funding. Almost no one pays sticker price to go to these schools. I got accepted to U of Miami in 2002. Full cost was 40k then, I had pretty wealthy parents HH income of around 200k and I received 13k in funding. Parents wouldn't let me go, but that is another story.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
CC for 2 years, transfer to 4 year for final 2.
In Tennessee's case, community college is free. But we have to remember by going to community college, I think you lose free money from a scholarship or perhaps it is not applicable based on terms of the scholarship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics