Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2015, 12:55 PM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Personally I did all that extra curricular stuff in high school and IMO it's kind of worthless these days. I think at one point in time, maybe it did matter. Like if you were a "B" student who was in all the clubs, debate team, sports, music groups and theatre, you were heralded for being "well rounded." There are no careers now where being well rounded is an asset. It's far better to be "A+" academically and load up on extra math classes instead of being in the glee club.
For college applications extra curriculars are absolutely essential.

You guys that don't recognize the "social" aspects of work and how that impacts promotions and references, yes even today, are in for a rude awakening down the road.

An awful lot of business is still done on the golf course and tennis courts as well as staff parties.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:04 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,311,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

You guys that don't recognize the "social" aspects of work and how that impacts promotions and references, yes even today, are in for a rude awakening down the road.

An awful lot of business is still done on the golf course and tennis courts as well as staff parties.
Not really, I play golf and pretty much no business is done on the golf course. Nobody plays golf anymore, especially corporate CEOs. These days it's mostly retired doctors, asian american accountants and "Hank Hill" type white guys. I actually made a sombre new year's resolution to finally give up golf for good. It is too time consuming and most of the golfers I meet, I wish I didn't know. With the way it's going I doubt golf will even exist when I reach retirement age.

I agree that certain colleges look at extra curriculars, but academics still trump them,and it's better to be a westinghouse science champion than to be on the lacrosse team.

But also I think the "well rounded" boosters strongly overstate the "social skills" one develops in stuff like sports. Team athletes tend to be very inarticulate and borderline anti social. You do not exactly have great debates on the football field, you grunt and run into each other. According to Facebook, most of the guys on my high school football team have jobs like beer delivery man or car salesman. Not exactly a useful crowd to know if you want to raise financing for a business or get an interview at Google.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:07 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Personally, I never had anyone discuss with me where I went except one hiring manager who went to the same place and that was just social chit chat.

When unemployment is high, it may be something hiring managers use to thin the crowd, but as a former hiring manager myself it was not something that held more sway than what happened in the interview even though I may have noted if they went to a prestigious university.
Exactly. I worked in recruiting and professional placement for years and WHERE a degree was from rarely made a bit of difference. I'm not saying it NEVER does, but I think generally speaking it just doesn't make a difference.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:59 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Personally I did all that extra curricular stuff in high school and IMO it's kind of worthless these days. I think at one point in time, maybe it did matter. Like if you were a "B" student who was in all the clubs, debate team, sports, music groups and theatre, you were heralded for being "well rounded." That kind of thing seemed to work pretty well for my dad. There are no careers now where being well rounded in that manner is still an asset. It's far better to be "A+" academically and load up on extra math classes instead of being in the glee club.
I dont think they are useless, maybe not as important but not useless. An A+ student that is involved in National Honor Society AND Key Club is better than doing jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

References and exposing to jobs are the importance. Social you can get in college too and not just at parties.

Quote:
Not really, I play golf and pretty much no business is done on the golf course. Nobody plays golf anymore, especially corporate CEOs. These days it's mostly retired doctors, asian american accountants and "Hank Hill" type white guys. I actually made a sombre new year's resolution to finally give up golf for good. It is too time consuming and most of the golfers I meet, I wish I didn't know. With the way it's going I doubt golf will even exist when I reach retirement age.

I agree that certain colleges look at extra curriculars, but academics still trump them,and it's better to be a westinghouse science champion than to be on the lacrosse team.

But also I think the "well rounded" boosters strongly overstate the "social skills" one develops in stuff like sports. Team athletes tend to be very inarticulate and borderline anti social. You do not exactly have great debates on the football field, you grunt and run into each other. According to Facebook, most of the guys on my high school football team have jobs like beer delivery man or car salesman. Not exactly a useful crowd to know if you want to raise financing for a business or get an interview at Google.
I have social skills through boy scouts and gained some through RHA and hall council in college. I made myself get involved in college much more so than in high school because my support in high school was Boy Scouts which was outside of school. Only a few in school knew about it until my year book had "Eagle Scout" under my name. Not because of how ashamed I was, it just wasn't with many people in school and most of them I knew through cub scouts and one I am still in contact with despite being almost the entire nation away from. Note he was a jock but was very articulate and pretty rounded, not doing deliveries as far as I know. But hey that can be our experiences.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:53 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Quote:
Now those same generations are telling them, yeah good for us, however, you need to get a job to pay your way through community college for a pipefitting certificate.
Pipefitters who learn the trade in a union apprentice program don't pay, they get paid.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:03 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
Where is all of this us-vs.-them, class-driven, "where's-mine", "no-fair" divisiveness coming from?
Economic and social inequality and a declining standard of living. They'll do that.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
I just think the reason millennials are unhappy is because generations above them had cheap college and fine careers. Now those same generations are telling them, yeah good for us, however, you need to get a job to pay your way through community college for a pipefitting certificate.
By the way, I have to ask - what's wrong with working and paying for your own pipe fitting certification? Or any other trade school or professional certification? What could possibly be wrong with that expectation?

Not everyone needs a four year or more college degree in order to be successful. Even fewer need one from an expensive/prestigious university.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:42 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times
How do you propose who gets to go to the good schools? And who becomes a pipe fitter? I suppose it should be all based on ability to pay, right?

Meanwhile, the kid whose main accomplishment in high school was burning down the physics lab gets a full ride to an Ivy League school because daddy bought the school a building.

I don't expect life to be fair. But I expect that students today should have at least the same opportunity that I had. They don't. There's no way to spin that.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:50 PM

35,710 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Wealthiest Americans say the poor have it easy | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com

Wealthiest Americans say the poor have it easy.

in reality they don't care if you live or die- they in love with money

Old 01-10-2015, 05:09 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
True dat. I would add the same is true if you live in a state that is over-regulated, thereby justifying an enormous state and town level bureaucracy (every new reg has a ripple effect at the state and local level of 10:1 at minimum. Most times the apparatus attempts to hire an entire new department (or 'branch").

It bears repeating: Every new rule or reg is used to justify hiring 10 new public "servants" to feed at the trough, for you to support, each of whom will do his best to pump up the pension deficit at the state level, for which you will be on the hook.
I have to wonder where this is going on. My county seat, not far from where I live, currently employs 8% fewer employees that it did 15 years ago. In the same period the population has grown 12%. They are getting a whole lot more done with a lot fewer people. The county has done about the same thing, making massive budget cuts in all departments.

In 2003 the state canceled their public workers retirement program completely, and converted it to an employee funded 401k style contribution. The retirement program now costs the taxpaying public exactly nothing. My understanding is that the majority of states have undertaken the same steps. Cities and counties have been facing bankruptcy, so have cut their staffing wherever possible.

If you are upset about your particular neighborhood, you need to be more specific about the jurisdiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics