Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 07:56 AM

266 posts, read 450,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I don't know where the earnings growth will come from.
I hear ya Wartrace.

However, I think the stage seems set favoring foriegn money flooding US markets. If so, PEs will go through the roof. Almost makes me think mid-long term distant, middle ground, in the money options may be a reasonable place to be. I'll first wait to see what happens the end of January, should be interesting.

Great post comments everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 08:08 AM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
baby boomers stand to inherit a trillion dollars , foreign money , and the fact we are the best house in the worst neighborhood will attract money from all over the world.

the negatives are low rates are tied to dividend rates and dividend rates traditionally account for 1/3 the markets gains so9 that points to about 6% returns non inflation adjusted. .

so my guess is we are looking at growth but likely sub average growth for 5 to 10 years out perhaps.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:10 AM

52,693 posts, read 47,969,279 times
Default Dow To Hit 31,000 In 3 Years?

No, it won't.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:30 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,290,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
jimhcom doesn't post negativity, he is only trying to help us! Stop puzzling him!

Besides we get to revisit his DJIA "prediction" in 3 years. So, that could be fun.
Once a shill, always a shill.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:09 PM

266 posts, read 450,103 times
Near term 18,000 will either be the top of the Dow or damn close.

A relief rally in oil is overdue though I think unsustainable. I expect crude to bottom between $40 and $50 a barrel, touching in the 30s likely.

ISIS gaining ground with mistreated poorer Saudis'. So much for the royalty...

NY Time said the $710T derivatives (~15% oil) just keeps coming back - more the heart of the matter than banks wish to admit. Months ago, oil companies transferred serious risk to the banks . All in all, looks to be another 2007/08 in the works.

Could global matters worsen with 1.43 Euro hitting 1.17 seemingly to plunge more? Despite being about time, odds are, Yep!

Here we go again with another over-leveraged situation toddling about as a drunken sailor walking the anchorline. Batten down the hatches! Another QE framework to dig from this new mess further devalue the buck.

Foreign money and a major correction might look pretty good.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:35 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,733,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Once a shill, always a shill.
I'm nothing if not consistent. So, I've got that going for me!

Old 01-20-2015, 04:50 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,733,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
baby boomers stand to inherit a trillion dollars , foreign money , and the fact we are the best house in the worst neighborhood will attract money from all over the world.

the negatives are low rates are tied to dividend rates and dividend rates traditionally account for 1/3 the markets gains so9 that points to about 6% returns non inflation adjusted. .

so my guess is we are looking at growth but likely sub average growth for 5 to 10 years out perhaps.
I agree with this. Historically low growth and returns, but perhaps for an extended period. Which may not be a bad thing, as I am a bit tired of bubbles bursting!

Old 07-08-2018, 09:07 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Today's blast from the past comes from 3.5 years ago when the stock market was 45% lower, and a common argument of the doomsdayers was that once QE stopped or interest rates were raised the stock market would crash. Interest rates have been raised 6 times since then, and of course QE ended years ago.

Quote:
Had this market cycle been built on organic growth based on sound economic fundamentals instead of the pump and dump policies of the Fed we would be looking at an entirely different situation. All you need to do is to look at a chart of the market since QE ended to see how it's momentum is completely stalled.
Quote:
Fundamentally, markets require a constant supply of new buyers to go up. That supply of new buyers was being artificially manufactured by 85 billion per month in printing by the Fed which was a fraud from the beginning and is now discontinued. Now the market must exist on it's own fundamentals which are very problematic. The commodities markets are reflecting exactly where the economy really is. Ignore what they are telling you at your own peril.
Quote:
Now that the drug the economy has been addicted to has been withdrawn, you are seeing the markets reeling with volatility and unable to maintain any sort of positive momentum. This will only get worse as the bond market begins to reel from the defaults in the oil sector as smaller companies cannot cope with prices below break even.
Quote:
Like I said before, if you believe the future is rosy, then put your money where your mouth is and stay fully invested. Just don't complain when you get your backside handed to you because you were warned.
If I remember correctly this poster had a long history of predicting economic collapse claiming he'd just gotten out of the market, yet never posts about getting back in. The amazing ability to always be in stocks profiting despite being wrong about the stock market for almost a decade straight.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:14 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think mid-20,000s by 2018 is more realistic.
Looks like my expectation was more accurate than the thread title. The DOW has been hovering around 25,000 for much of this year.

Sometimes, you get lucky.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:38 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Well played BCD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics